Arkham Knight PC tech-talk: settings, performance etc

Mortis

Why though? Vsync gives you horrible input lag.

Because horrible tearing. I'm very tempted to get the gsync monitor soon

The smoke effects in game works murders performance from my quick playabout with the benchmark yesterday.

Just came in to post this. I have almost the exact setup as that RPS journo, and the same happens: Nvidia optimises my settings, I go into the game (framerate re-locked in the ini to 60fps) and there's a constant switch from 60 to about 45fps, almost cyclical (in other words, not when something special is happening on-screen, just at certain points).

Hopefully they'll get a handle on the frame rate issues as it shouldn't tank that badly - considering it's the old unreal engine with some bells and whistles.

Glad I've still got The Witcher 3 too finish as it might be stable by then :( pain in the arse for everyone else though.

Ah, the joys of PCs then - I've had absolutely nothing like that at all. Only thing that happens is the cutscene stutter, but as this seems to be something inherent in PC gaming at the moment (god knows why), I'll get over that.

Really, maybe I'm just a bit more easily satisfied, but it runs superbly well as far as I can see.

It definitely stutters heavily when loading new sections of the game (it will basically be unplayable for 2-3 seconds). It also happens fairly occasionally when entering battle mode on the bat mobile. This is with the game installed on an SSD and otherwise decent performance.

The motion blur is horribly overdone as well and the game crashes when trying to load the menu if I disable motion blur in the config via notepad.

Have you tried them yet?

Nah. I've benched the game twice last night with 15.5. Once on default settings but LOD on high and once with everything on max (obviously the paper and smoke can't be turned on with an AMD card).

Will do them again with 15.6 when home and post results.

Yeah I'm the same - I was a bit miffed I'd not managed to get through W3 for this launching but I think it's gonna be a couple of weeks to get patched up to acceptable levels. I somehow can't see WB pushing patches out for bugs at the same rate as CDPR did for W3 either :(

That'll teach me for buying at launch again - I wish games could just release in a working state nowadays - especially when graphically I didn't see anything that came close to what W3 offered and I'm hitting a constant 60FPS on that with everything bar the hair, shadows and foliage up at ultra.

I don't understand how a game running off the now ancient UE3 could run so poorly.

I use triple buffered vsync on everything if I can and I much prefer it to screen tearing which I find massively distracting. I've never noticed it causing significant input lag.

Same here. Any input lag I'm getting would have to be so slight as to be imperceptible, and I'll take that over tearing any day!

It looks like the game has been horribly optimised, but it does at least seem like you can brute force your way through them for now. I've not had any issues with my 980ti. ;)

Fucking hell, glad I wasn't really interested in this one.

Wow. It runs extremely well on a PS4. Locked 30 apart from odd moments in the Batmobile where there's tons going on in terms of destructible scenery and it drops to like 26-27 I'd guesstimate.

Looks like a really shitty port :(

Well, at least I have Witcher 3 to fall back on if this runs badly for me. Who'd have thought having 16GB ram, an i5 3670k, and a GTX970 would leave you wondering if the game will run ok?

I'll try to see how it runs tonight if it's finished downloading. It was going really slowly when I left for work this morning.

Seems they may have been up against it with the PC version. You hear that people who have bought it on disc go through 5 DVD's, only to be told they have installed 7.7GB and have to download the other 80% of the game!

It certainly looks like the release has been a massive clusterfuck by Warner/Rocksteady from the special editions being cancelled/30 different DLC options/piss poor optimisation on PC etc.

If I'd paid full steam price for this I'd be pissed - as it is I paid under £25 for the PE off CDKeys so I can wait till it's patched - it's a joke though that this seems to be the state of 90% of AAA releases.

I do wonder how such bad performance issues make it through? Don't they at least test their software on a few different setups?

I can forgive the occasional bug and glitch but this is just so obvious and game breaking which makes me wonder how these companies handle their QA, if at all.

Problem is PCs are just so bloody weird. I'm sure there are people with my exact same setup who are throwing things at their screen because it's running terribly, yet unless I'd read about the issues I'd have been none the wiser.

Of course it's perfectly plausible that they're just following a "patch it later" approach and know full well about the issues. Depending on your point of view I guess it's better to piss off a bunch of people than it is to delay it and piss off even more.

There are always going to be people, myself included, who will have issues when the rest of the world seemingly have no problems at all. Borderlands 2 ran terrible on my PC, even after going through all of the tips and tricks provided by the community. The same goes for Dying Light. It ran okay'ish but people with similar machines were at 60fps or beyond. I barely touched 50...

Anyway, this is not that though. If you look at the Steam reviews it seems that almost everyone on PC has performance issues or other negative things to report. It's not an isolated case and that video posted above is a perfect demonstration of a blatant unoptimised game.

It worked ok for me once I got past the opening Cafe scene where the frame rate was apppalling

(I'm basically blind in one eye due to bad cornea and the other eye is terribly short sighted though. Graphic issues don't normally register for me).

It's currently got 2000 reviews on Steam, 70% of which are negative...between this the Collectors Edition issues, the PC retail discs seeming only containing 1/5th of the game and the DLC issues (Harley Quinn appears to be issues for lots) and it's a clustermuck of a launch (mostly for PC users though)

Coming from Witcher 3 though the facial animation/lip sync/eyes are really off putting.

Played first hour or so last night and absolutely no problems at all for me with everything turned up high (2560 x 1600), admittedly I'm using a Titan X though. Must be one of the lucky ones.

690 GTX which ran the witcher 3 in ultra with a 50-60 FPS isn't coping.

Ok I've played for a couple of hours and it's getting unplayable, my FPS is all over the place and it doesn't seem to matter if I'm on low settings or high and it gets even worse with the batmobile, I can't remember the last time I played a game that went from 60 FPS down to 4 just by slightly moving the camera.