IGNORED

Arkham Knight PC tech-talk: settings, performance etc

Mortis

What was the 4.5gb thing yesterday Steam was downloading?

Looks like there is another update:

Hi Everyone,

The latest patch for Batman: Arkham Knight was released today and contains the following updates:

• Fixed a hitch during some game saves
  • Fixed a Windows 10 issue causing the game to be unresponsive on launch when the keyboard language was set to Japanese, Japanese Microsoft IME, Korean, Chinese (Traditional) or Chinese (Simplified)
  • Fixed minor delay when aiming a gadget when playing with a keyboard and mouse
  • Fixed a bug causing full screen movies to play at half the monitor’s refresh rate on some systems
  • Fixed players sometimes not being able to counter the Mini-Gun Brute after being spotted when playing as Nightwing or Batman
  • Fixed a performance drop that occurred when encountering Man-Bat for the first time
  • Fixed some Multi-Monitor specific bugs
  • Some improvements to mouse and keyboard bindings
  • Improved VRAM management to reduce framerate hitches
  • Stability improvements for rare crash issues
  • Fixed an issue causing certain types of lights & shadows to render incorrectly
  • Fixed an issue causing the game process to occasionally remain running in the background for a period of time
  • Fixed the Knightfall Protocol not being able to activate under certain conditions
  • Fixed a progression blocker that could occur in Stagg Airships when leaving the predator room after only knocking out one of the guards
  • Fixed damage states for Batman’s V8.03 skin in Story Mode after selecting an alternate skin for AR Challenges
  • Fixed missing rain effects on several Batman skins (fix for 1970s and Arkham Origins skins coming soon)
  • Added support for new DLC releasing on November 24th
  • Play as other characters in AR predator challenges

UPDATE (2:50pm Pacific): The November DLC is available for all Season Pass / Premium Edition owners. We're currently working with Valve and investigating the DLC availability for everyone else. We'll keep you posted.

UPDATE (5:10pm Pacific): The November DLC is now available for everyone.

I just fired it up and it has fixed the VRAM issue, with my 970 at least, I can put all the bells and whistles on and the VRAM is still "acceptable" - 4002MB out of 4008.

So incredibly late credit where it's due I suppose. Still ridiculous but at least they didn't totally leave it. Might bother with all the DLC now but still glad it was a cheap cdkeys job.

I'm guessing probably not, but does it seem possible to use medium textures with 2gb VRAM now? I uninstalled it a while back and resigned myself to picking it up on PS4 down the line, I don't fancy downloading 40gb again just to find I still can't match the PS4 version.

I'd started getting in to this over the last couple of weeks, and while there were still frame-rate problems (in and around the car) it was playable enough. Janky, but doable. After a week off, I got back in to it last night and discovered the new patch has all but fixed things. No frame drops, no jank, just buttery smooth batman even with the car. :omg:

Curiously, Richard Leadbetter hasn't quite reached the same conclusion as the average end user without the necessary tools to validate performance apart from their built-in human senses (which seem a tad less sensitive in general, it'd be a PITA if the average human was as good as FCAT ;)). He concluded the latest patch doesn't do much more than the last one did:

He's only just missing out on the constant 60fps, yet says in the commentary his options were maxed out - that's where the difference is - I turned off those extra Nvidia effects to ensure a consistent frame-rate.

The point remains that it's a poorly optimised engine, though, but at least a smooth experience can be had now.

I was just interested in the early reports from people saying the game was smooth for them now, but FCAT analysis reveals problems still.

It just proves that people aren't nearly as sensitive as they like to think they are to rendering time problems, which is probably a good thing as it would drive most people up the wall to be that sensitive, a bit like people with Golden Ears, who probably feel the same about most compressed, badly mastered audio, where they can pick out all the flaws easily which the average person can't discern.

It seems to have a made a huge difference to my version of the game at least, I couldn't play with the interactive fog on and I can now.

Although I used to play PC games that even after making specific autoexec bat and config sys files and all that nonsense, I'd still have to pretty much time my blinking so it wasn't a total stuttering mess :)

I'm not sure if it's just my perception but people seem to be way more sensitive to this sort of stuff than they used to be, or maybe it's just that the internet likes to have a moan and those voices get heard much more than they used to.

It's a bit like the quality of yarr'd movies, I remember watching moody VHS copies of films that were fucking dreadful and barely watchable due to tracking issues, or terrible colour bleeding as they were copies of copies etc and people will lambast an uploader if the blacks are slightly crushed or whatever. Kids these days, tsk!

I was just interested in the early reports from people saying the game was smooth for them now, but FCAT analysis reveals problems still.

It just proves that people aren't nearly as sensitive as they like to think they are to rendering time problems, which is probably a good thing as it would drive most people up the wall to be that sensitive, a bit like people with Golden Ears, who probably feel the same about most compressed, badly mastered audio, where they can pick out all the flaws easily which the average person can't discern.

It's nothing to do with sensitivity - last week, any attempt to drive the batmobile (on my system) would show clear drops in frames. This week, I have none. I'm not saying the same is true for everybody, only that the problem has been fixed for my set-up.

I'm not sure if it's just my perception but people seem to be way more sensitive to this sort of stuff than they used to be, or maybe it's just that the internet likes to have a moan and those voices get heard much more than they used to.

It's a bit like the quality of yarr'd movies, I remember watching moody VHS copies of films that were fucking dreadful and barely watchable due to tracking issues, or terrible colour bleeding as they were copies of copies etc and people will lambast an uploader if the blacks are slightly crushed or whatever. Kids these days, tsk!

I think that is just the same thing as what people will accept as a graphical standard over time. You get more experienced and what used to be acceptable becomes significantly less so.

If we applied the apparent acceptable standards of 2015 to games from a few decades ago, nobody would have got through the last few generations alive :D

Console games barely did 15fps in early polygon titles or even worse on 8-bit machines. Now, if they don't manage 60fps, it isn't considered good enough by some, though considering Arcade games have predominately always been 60fps, it should have been the case even then, but home users seem to take forever to raise their threshold.

It's nothing to do with sensitivity - last week, any attempt to drive the batmobile (on my system) would show clear drops in frames. This week, I have none. I'm not saying the same is true for everybody, only that the problem has been fixed for my set-up.

You're probably still getting framedrops, they are just at the level that you can't notice them now, Leadbetter couldn't manage to reach 60fps sustained, unless you are limiting it to 30fps?. It's like how people praise the Call of Duty games on console for their smooth 60fps, despite the games not actually being a solid 60fps in reality.

• 4 weeks later...

A new patch has been released

http://steamcommunity.com/games/208650/announcements/detail/128715036853504337

The latest patch for Batman: Arkham Knight was released today and contains the following updates:

Fixed some issues with stars being awarded or lost incorrectly in specific AR Challenges
Improved target prioritization during combat
Restored heavier rain during the opening section of the game
Fixed missing rain effects on a few remaining player character skins
Miscellaneous gameplay fixes and stability improvements
Fixes to some keyboard and mouse prompts after being rebound
Made frame times more consistent for 60hz monitors running at 30fps with VSync enabled
Previously equipped gadgets can be selected with keyboard and mouse again after restarting an AR Challenge
Fixed the default key binding for Harley’s Snare gadget
Batgirl’s Remote Hacking Device can now be properly selected with keyboard & mouse in AR Challenges
Minor performance optimizations for certain combinations of hardware
Fixed keyboard & mouse controls that did not function in DLC AR Challenges when no previous save data existed
Quick Photo Mode can now be triggered with keyboard and mouse controls when using the Batmobile
Special Combo Takedowns can now be performed with Quickfire Gadget binds if they were rebound
Fixed graphical corruption that may occur after Alt-Tabbing
Improvements and corrections to some localized text
Added new Classic Harley Quinn skin for use in AR Challenges & the Harley Quinn Story Pack
Added Arkham Knight as a playable character for AR Challenges & the Red Hood Story Pack
Added support for December DLC content

• 6 months later...

These are my specs and it'll fluctuate between 44-80fps most of the time. I've got everything on high. Most drops come from using the Batmobile which is still a persistent issue they've not been able to fix it seems. 

MOBO: MSI Z77A-GD65 
 Video: MSI N970 GTX Gaming 4G 
 Memory: GeIL 8GB DDR3-1333 
 CPU: Socket 1155 Intel Core i5-2500K 

turn it to normal, make sure the nvidea effects are off, apart from "enhanced light shafts" as that costs barely anything, and looks great, and it should run fine!

oddley, i found if i play on my tv, i can lock it at 50 (benefits of tvs with changable refresh rate lol), and get smooth and stable! although... i have a 970 and thats with everything on .. sorry if thats not to helpful

Playing on my TV (60hz) as well, capped the fps at 90 as even with VSYNC on/adapative it'll still give me tearing otherwise. Anyway at worst I'm still getting 15 more framez than the console versions. Ha! eat it peasants. Heyoooo!