IGNORED

The Batman - March 2022 - Robert Pattinson Confirmed as Batman

Goose

20 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

I cannot muster any enthusiasm for this whatsoever. :( 

Yep after the initial casting announcement and quite a good first trailer I’ve totally cooled on this now. Can’t really explain why, maybe like others have said it just looks to be covering too much familiar ground from Begins, even though it simultaneously is showing us loads of villains we’ve not seen on film since the 90s? Probably explains the run time. 

9 hours ago, Chindie said:

I would stake my last penny that (possible suit spoilers - as daft as that sounds)

Reveal hidden contents

The Bat symbol is made from the gun that killed his parents. I suspect they will be making a big moment out of it's reveal that that is the case, because otherwise making it so conspicuously odd seems like a massive waste of time, especially as the rest of his suit looks weak cosplay level.

From the trailers there's things about this I like, it seems to be pushing back into Gotham being this slightly surreal place, which Nolan quickly abandoned in favour of Gotham is Chicago, which feels more true to the comic Batman. And I like the slightly angsty tone. And I could see Pattinson as a good Batman and Bruce.

But then it's gone for the Year 1 thing with the more realistic edge which kinda pushes me away from it again. I really want a Batman movie that commits to, in essence, doing the Animated Series in live action, or the Arkham games style. A film that does the stylised gangsters stuff but also is a world where these fantastical characters can exist and there is a brutish fully geared up Batman stalking around battering people to save the day.

I can see the want for that. However, with Cowboy Bebop as a good example (and almost any anime to live action I know of) sometimes the stylised look of animation doesn’t translate well to live action at all. 

On 20/01/2022 at 21:12, Doctor Shark said:

I cannot muster any enthusiasm for this whatsoever. :( 

My enthusiasm for it was pretty low anyway and that runtime has pounded it into the ground.

3 hours is insane and will lose them ticket sales even if word of mouth is good as that’s quite a commitment/finding time to schedule to go for another reiteration of Batman.  If reviews/word of mouth are poor then this could really tank.

I'm not sure it will. There's a weird thing out there I've seen with lots of people where they're put off going to the cinema if a film is too short, presumably they don't think they're getting value for money or something. I think us folks who pine for the days of lean tightly edited 90-120 minute films are actually in the minority nowadays, which is why there are so many of these bloated blockbusters.

From what was shown in the trailer- it was going to have to be long to allow justice for each of the following characters: Batman, Bruce Wayne, Alfred, Gordon, Penguin, Catwoman, ?Selena, Riddler, likely some Wayne Enterprise employee(s), and SPOILER.

I'm all in for near 3 hour films. 

If they are good then it doesn't matter one bit. 

I'm excited for the film. Really hope they delve into the detective side of Batman. There is some amazing acting indie film talent on display (Dano, Pattinson, Keoghan, Sarsgaard, Turtorro, Wright, Farrell)  I doubt they would have signed up if it has a shit script. 

Then again, it could be gash. 

On 22/01/2022 at 10:21, drmick said:

From what was shown in the trailer- it was going to have to be long to allow justice for each of the following characters: Batman, Bruce Wayne, Alfred, Gordon, Penguin, Catwoman, ?Selena, Riddler, likely some Wayne Enterprise employee(s), and SPOILER.

spoiler?

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.18540ea89a08d064e89a428e25b5043a.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

Isn’t this meant to be year two? Maybe we’ll get…

Reveal hidden contents

1CBB9E70-947D-4B60-A78B-E9859B66E955.jpeg.03bcdd86a51d5968f5230c8259e3eb15.jpeg

😮

Jeez. Look at those hands!  No wonder they have skin problems.  If they go that route they might as well have The Condiment King too.

Is that a real thing? Guy turns up in his home town to really mess with some crooks’ minds by dressing up as a bat while he does vigilante stuff, a year later he’s got a guy with a skull face and scythe hands chasing him? It’s a miracle he didn’t just pack it in and move somewhere else.

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

SPOILER may be

Reveal hidden contents

The strong (but unconfirmed) rumour that Barry Keoghan's character has been shown in some test screenings as an inmate at Arkham with a hyena-like laugh.

spacer.png

7 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

SPOILER may be

Reveal hidden contents

The strong (but unconfirmed) rumour that Barry Keoghan's character has been shown in some test screenings as an inmate at Arkham with a hyena-like laugh.

He's playing a cop. Stanley Merkel, who is Gordon's young partner. 

13 minutes ago, Ry said:

He's playing a cop. Stanley Merkel, who is Gordon's young partner. 

Merkel, the only other clean cop, aside from Jim… and Bock, Bullock, & Montoya.

and Sarah…

The Batman Begins poster was that same orange with the clouds, maybe they're trying to have some of that, and doing it terribly. The Batman Begins posters were forgettable anyway. The Dark Knight went blue, Rises went black.

My favourite comic book film poster, Batman Returns went classy and timeless (and great) and a play off the Goodfellas poster from a few years before.

MV5BOGZmYzVkMmItM2NiOS00MDI3LWI4ZWQtMTg0