IGNORED

The Batman - March 2022 - Robert Pattinson Confirmed as Batman

Goose

In the middle of this and the first half of this has pleasantly surprised me. Moody, singular in its approach to the material and great standout performances from the entire cast.

Reeves has essentially translated The Long Halloween to the big screen without having to lose any of the story’s character.

Also, Gotham City is an actual character again.

1 hour ago, HarMGM said:

In the middle of this and the first half of this has pleasantly surprised me. Moody, singular in its approach to the material and great standout performances from the entire cast.

Reeves has essentially translated The Long Halloween to the big screen without having to lose any of the story’s character.

Also, Gotham City is an actual character again.

Wait...were you writing that in the cinema? Mid way through the film?

6 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

Yeah, what? Was there an intermission? Did you go to the toilet and it being a poo thought to do a quick a review?

The alternatives - that HarMGM is either typing that in the auditorium, or worse, pausing a pirated copy of the film :o - are too horrible to contemplate. 

6 minutes ago, Nick R said:

The alternatives - that HarMGM is either typing that in the auditorium, or worse, pausing a pirated copy of the film :o - are too horrible to contemplate. 

Heh i'm all for stealing accessing films, but web rips at the minimum, you don't want to ruin what you've stolen accessed.

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Wait...were you writing that in the cinema? Mid way through the film?

No, there was an intermission during which I typed that.

Happy to say my positive first impressions held up all the way throughout the film. Particular standout being Dano as the Riddler.

This is such an odd film. 

I'd agree with a lot of HarMGM's comments, but I think I'd rate it lower. Partly I WANT to like it more because it tries something new (mostly).

The film knows you know who Batman is. There's no real recap or retelling here. It respects it's audience enough just to tell it's Batman story.

The focus is, as advertised, on Batman the investigator - but I didn't think too much of the central mystery. It's not "Who is holiday?" from the Long Halloween. And the clues aren't that taxing (Batman Forever did the same level mostly). But it's good to see it try.

Vague spoilers for tone/focus - nothing TOO spoilery I think but to be safe

Spoiler

But then the last 30 minutes is a big action focused sequence where Gotham gets absolutely fucked up. It's a really really odd shift, and feels massively out of place. I think by that point I wanted it to be over. And from earwigging outside afterwards so did other people

The action, which is fairly limited, is all really quite good I thought. Not so much jump cuts, you can follow what's going on and it's BRUTAL in places. There's one fight in corridor which is very effective.

But I HATED the rest of the direction. A) There's too much 1-2 shots of people having conversations where the camera cuts over each of their shoulders to show the other talking B) There's far too many slow ponderous shots of a characters face taking up the entire screen. Seriously it felt like it happened every 2 minutes and lasts about 15-20 seconds. Cut them down to few seconds and you could shave an hour off this 3 hour movie]. There's also a car chase which is at night, in the rain, with 2 black cars with little identifying features. It was pretty hard to keep track of what was happening/relative positions but that might be me and my bad eyes. (Although every 10 seconds or so it cuts to a 10 second "cock pit" style close up of a driver because of course it does.

Having said all that, the Riddler's first scene is amazingly unsettling.

It's clearly a project of love for Batman's universe, not just Bruce/Batman. The city feels very real. It's an odd hodge podge of old and new technologies (e.g. there are contact lens that record everything, but you tune the signal in on an old timey style dial) - but it works.

Everyone's giving their best to a performance. You may not LIKE this version of the character/their story arcs, but no ones resting on their laurels. Everyone in this production is pulling out all the stops - the music is good too and it looks amazing.

What worries me is that so many bits seem to get...not so much dropped as just left alone as it goes on -  that there might be 4 hour directors cut out there :D

So yeah I think it's a flawed, possibly quite flawed, project - but I'm really glad they tried. (At hopefully get a sequel). It’s easy to recommend this to Batman fans.

Short review is good performances although could never get on board with emo Bruce Wayne, but everyone else is really good.

Obviously far too long, but didn’t feel like 3 hours as it moves at a pretty decent pace, but as above you could trim most scenes quite a bit to cut at least 30/45 minutes off the run time

I was leaning towards saying it was a decent adaptation of Long Halloween/Year One, it’s grim and gritty Batman/Gotham and done well, but

Spoiler

I really didn’t like the last 20/30 minutes at all as we get a bunch of internet cunts inspired by the Riddler looking to commit mass murder and Batman being a bit shit in dealing with them while loads of people die from a flood and Batman cutting the electric so it looks like he might have sacrificed himself last about 2 seconds - the end.

Not sure why they didn’t have a lower stakes shorter ending that actually involved the Riddler with Batman properly fucking up a load of goons and stopping the big disaster.

so 3/5 - it’s worth watching, but flawed and too long and I see no reason to watch it again.

Loved it. I have the same handful of problems that harMGM has, but it's not enough to take the shine off it. Maybe because I'm so starved for a good Batman movie, but the things I liked about this genuinely thrilled me. I prefer the leaner, gadget-lite, slightly nutso version of the character for starters. The film is beautiful. Not quite Grimdark, more... a live-action version of Arkham Knight really, with really rich cinematography. The city feels expansive and its own thing, rather than being a cut & paste of NYC or Chicago. 

Everyone is great, but I heartily agree that

Spoiler

Gordon

feels rather under-utilised.

Action is crunchy and clear. I love how wild Bruce's style is, happy to just dive in and not give a shit if anyone's behind him.

It's long and feels long, but it's not exhausting the way I found TDK and TDKR. I was captivated throughout. Wish I could buy it right now for re-watching.

20 hours ago, HarMGM said:

Nothing awful but a bit of a damp squid.

Sid the Squid got pretty damp when Joker slapped him in that box there and rolled it into that vat of acid there.

(Top 5 Batman TAS episode, that. If The Batman is anywhere near as good as that, I'll be very happy.)

19 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Damp Squid :lol:

Peddlestool. 

Nobody ever wants a dry squid.

The same way nobody ever asks for a "single whammy".

Tickets booked for next Saturday for this with my Bro-in-law. Hoping for good stuff.

I thought this was fantastic and might even be my favourite live action batman film. Feel like I need to give TDK a rewatch first but it's definitely up there.

A few thoughts.

The soundtrack was a massive highlight for me, I loved the different variations of Batman's theme and they all hit for me every time it played.

This feels like the most grounded Batman film to date too, even more so that Nolans films and I liked that he actually did detective work. I loved the Noir aspect of it too.

Emo Bruce worked for me, this is still him at a young age, still not quite ready to be playboy Bruce and put on the facade. I think if we get sequels, he'll grow into that more.

Great performance from RP and the supporting cast.

I was happy to see Gotham felt like Gotham again rather than NYC/Chicago. This looked like it took inspiration from the Arkham games, which isn't a bad thing at all.

7 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

I have no idea who Ben Shapiro is. Do I want to know, or will life be better with his existence being relegated to that screenshot alone?

Right wing cunt

Seems like right wing Twitter don't like this because they think it hates it's central character and makes him weak.

OR, maybe, just maybe, it takes Batman back to his roots of no guns and no killing and actually understands it character way more than Nolan or Synder ever did.

Just out of it. Really bloody good. 

Not a film for everyone. At least 10 people walked out after about an hour. 

Will post my views in the rate the film thread.