IGNORED

The Batman - March 2022 - Robert Pattinson Confirmed as Batman

Goose

11 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Pattinson is meant to be a little sloppy. It's only year 2 and he doesn't have the training the likes of Bales Batman had.

Hence his improving performance on every visit to the Iceberg Lounge.  And that sweet one two punch on the last visit. 

9 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Reveal hidden contents

Best example is the fucking up the glide and smashing off the steel.

Spoiler

I liked the moment before he jumped - when he got to the top of the stairs and panicked because it was so high.

7 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Yup. I think a lot of people just expected it to be standard Batman, who knows what he's doing from the get go. But this is clearly a version who's constantly learning and still fucks up a little. Which I like.

Reveal hidden contents

Best example is the fucking up the glide and smashing off the steel.

The film was a bit all over the place in terms of how severe injuries were. I think the whole thing is over 4-5 days. I could kind of ignore stuff like the bulletproof armour and what not, but that bit really stood out as a moment where he 

Spoiler

should have been dead, rather than getting up and walking off before being back to full strength within hours.

The other really odd bit was where he used his bat-juice at the end and beat that goon senseless. The guy's face should have been caved in after that beating but they take his mask off and he looks quite serene.

Regarding the shot of green liquid.

Spoiler

Firstly I assumed adrenalin but as it was green I thought it could be Bane's venom liquid, hence the ultra aggressiveness on administering. Then I thought not as this is an early Batman, then again The Joker is already imprisoned so perhaps so is Bane.

23 hours ago, Chindie said:

Riddler being incel-y felt a bit on the nose

See, I felt that was fucking brilliant, but not because of the Riddler being bit on the incel side (because for me, he's actually not), but for the Riddler taking full advantage of that pathetic but sadly very dangerous demographic. I noticed another poster took issue with Riddler's social media vids, saying they were cringeworthy ... I found them chilling, to the bone. I'll spoiler the rest but keep it short...

Spoiler

We live in an age of influencers. Imagine someone rallying these incels and giving them, not just an excuse to use their guns, but a cause which provides them with the belief that it's actually the right thing to do. For me, the Riddler, and indeed the movie, was just dialling into the zeitgeist of the clear danger of 21st century white male privilege. 

And for me, its depiction was perfect.

edit: You can actually spin this around and point the exact same argument at Batman:

Spoiler

Lone white male feels compelled to go out at night and put right, with brutal violence, what he perceives as societal wrongs.

The difference is that Bruce Wayne realises he needs to be more than just violent vengeance. 

The last act was maybe a bit too “ripped from the headlines” compared to the rest of it. I mean, entirely successful in and of itself and they get away with it, but you’ve got this sudden clash of our ordinary world and its own nightmares and the comic book world and its.

But maybe that’s the point?

38 minutes ago, Thor said:

See, I felt that was fucking brilliant, but not because of the Riddler being bit on the incel side (because for me, he's actually not), but for the Riddler taking full advantage of that pathetic but sadly very dangerous demographic. I noticed another poster took issue with Riddler's social media vids, saying they were cringeworthy ... I found them chilling, to the bone. I'll spoiler the rest but keep it short...

Reveal hidden contents

We live in an age of influencers. Imagine someone rallying these incels and giving them, not just an excuse to use their guns, but a cause which provides them with the belief that it's actually the right thing to do. For me, the Riddler, and indeed the movie, was just dialling into the zeitgeist of the clear danger of 21st century white male privilege. 

And for me, its depiction was perfect.

edit: You can actually spin this around point the exact same argument at Batman:

Reveal hidden contents

Lone white male feels compelled to go out at night and put right, with brutal violence, what he perceives as societal wrongs.

The difference is that Bruce Wayne realises he needs to be more than just violent vengeance. 

It's definitely a YMMV thing. I completely get what it's trying to do, and your analysis is right.

But I tend to find with this kind of film, story, there's a balancing act when trying to evoke real things, where if you go too far into pointing at the real matter it loses some of its impact by being too... clear, pointed?... in its allegory or reference. It's better to carefully nod at things than point and shout.

If I'm in the creative team I'd tone down the incel/white male impotence/school shooter etc elements of the Riddler, and maybe pull back his ranting mania a little, instead leaning a little more into the comic style narcissistic intellectual thing. And ditch the Zodiac stuff entirely. You could still do the same story, still have his ultimate plan, but approach it in a way that's a bit more subtle and a bit less artificially (IMO) gritty.

It felt like taking about followers and the “I luv u guys” stuff was completely out of place with the otherwise very anachronistic, analogue feeling world they portray. I loved the weird and janky red film stuff that he captures, twiddles through with dials and then scribbles in notebooks and it felt quite jarring suddenly having instagram/tiktok exist in the same world as that and have such a prominent role in things. 

5 hours ago, Pug said:

Regarding the shot of green liquid.

Hide contents

Firstly I assumed adrenalin but as it was green I thought it could be Bane's venom liquid, hence the ultra aggressiveness on administering. Then I thought not as this is an early Batman, then again The Joker is already imprisoned so perhaps so is Bane.

Spoiler

The "Art of The Batman" book confirms that it is adrenaline.

Saw it last night and glad it felt different enough from the previous Batmen. He's more like a tank in this one, initially I though "man, he's got some heavy boots", then realised he's just completely covered in bulletproofing. Those clunking footsteps as he stomps out of the shadows and into the next fistfight, pretty far from Ninja Batman. He really needs his grapple gun just to get around in that thing. The first crime scene scene is probably my fav thing about the film, the way everybody is reacting to him. Gonna have to watch it again for that bit alone.

1 hour ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Saw it last night and glad it felt different enough from the previous Batmen. He's more like a tank in this one, initially I though "man, he's got some heavy boots", then realised he's just completely covered in bulletproofing. Those clunking footsteps as he stomps out of the shadows and into the next fistfight, pretty far from Ninja Batman.

The sound is also evocative of spurs, like he's the law arriving in town.

One detail I particularly liked about that first fight was a very brief shot where he appeared to be visibly shaking with anger or adrenaline. Either works for me but I like the idea of a gun offending him so deeply.

Loved this. And I particularly loved the action scenes. So refreshing to see a superhero film that doesn’t rely on weightless CGI for its fight scenes, and is happy to keep the camera in wide shot so you could clearly see what’s going on.

Consensus is that this is great right?  I mean really good.  Batman is a bit like Bond (much more so if you consider the comics) in as much that it's challenging to come up with something new to say and show.

I think The Batman achieved this with some aplomb.  Things that didn't look ideal in isolation (like that Batmobile) came to life as part of a broader canvas.  I thought it was amazing.

Finally got to this; as a 51-year old father of a 7-year old boy, there was no way I was going to stay awake in a dark cinema for three hours at an evening showing.

I thought it was fucking marvellous. Pattinson was really good, Zoe Kravitz did a great job and was also 😍, and Jeffrey Wright hit the right notes as Gordon. I hope they’re doing more; managed to pause the post credits scene and input the web address they put up, which I think indicates they are…

Spoiler

68EB7207-A177-4665-A4C9-4CE09D44C469.thumb.jpeg.ef25d9a08fb8ec6111804a435872f276.jpeg

17 hours ago, Jammy said:

Finally got to this; as a 51-year old father of a 7-year old boy, there was no way I was going to stay awake in a dark cinema for three hours at an evening showing.

I thought it was fucking marvellous. Pattinson was really good, Zoe Kravitz did a great job and was also 😍, and Jeffrey Wright hit the right notes as Gordon. I hope they’re doing more; managed to pause the post credits scene and input the web address they put up, which I think indicates they are…

Reveal hidden contents

68EB7207-A177-4665-A4C9-4CE09D44C469.thumb.jpeg.ef25d9a08fb8ec6111804a435872f276.jpeg

I'm 49. Not only did I stay awake for 3 hours...the greatness of the film can be summed up by the fact I "held it in".

While I enjoyed this, I'm not really excited for the sequel.  I can't shake the feeling the wobbly bits of the first film will be amplified.  I didn't enjoy the end bit with

Spoiler

the Arkham chuckle brothers

Part of me would like to see a Long Halloween style night of chaos, making it feel a little like Dredd/The Raid. But that doesn't free up time for the detective bits, and both Batman Begins and the animated Long Halloween have covered some of those bases.

I like the detective element, and I hope they double down on it. I just don't know how they make the logic both a little inaccessible to the audience (we're not the world's greatest detectives, after all), and compelling to watch without being entirely gadgety. Mind palace shit?

I'd like to see half the sequel based around Gordon and Batman's relationship growing in a prequel to The Batman way (so everybody is weirded out by him and he still feels like a freak) and capturing 

Spoiler

Joker

and then the second half based around recapturing

Spoiler

Joker

and him doing heroic stuff.