rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Yoshimax

Gears Of War : Ultimate Edition. August 25th 2015

Might as well split this out now. A new trailer appears.

Although all of the footage appears to have been in this E3 vid:

Basic FAQ:

Here are the tweaks you should know about heading into Ultimate Edition:

- The movement and cover system feel more like Gears 3. You can revive squadmates without popping out of cover, dodge in any direction, and even change weapons while roadie running.

- The five PC-exclusive chapters from Act 5 (which were cut from the 360 version late in development) have been integrated back into the story.

- It runs at 60 frames per second, in 1080p. And it's still built on Unreal Engine 3, albeit with a bunch of new tricks and graphical flourishes.

- Everything's been redone about the cutscenes, including a new orchestral score, except the dialogue. No more deadpan Dom off to the side with his thousand-yard stare.

- The new Casual difficulty is actually suitable for casual play, with the old Casual setting renamed Normal.

- Competitive multiplayer will have six modes. The three new modes are Team Deathmatch, King of the Hill, and a formal mode for the fan-created 2v2 Gnasher ruleset.

- All the original and DLC maps are included.

- A few team-coordination features will come over from Gears of War 3, like Tac-Com and enemy spotting.

- Online multiplayer will have dedicated servers. You can also bring in a local split-screen buddy for matchmaking or even do LAN play.

- It's releasing on August 25 for $39.99 on PC and Xbox One.

• Upvote 3

Yeah me too. I'm trying to give them money for this and rare replay just now but they don't want it yet.

I expect at least the MP of 2&3 and all maps will be added over time as the groundwork is already done. Not so sure about the campaigns but it'd make sense it's a trilogy after all.

played the beta a lot. i hope they get rid of the sniper bloom, fix the awful waves on gridlock and generally poor water effects, and add in harsher penalties for quitters. tried going back to gears 1 after the beta finished. controls are not as tight as the remake for obvious reasons, and the community is pretty toxic - one round into a ranked match and whoever loses the 1st round quits, hosts of player matches kick you when you kill them and so on. i think this will be a generally decent remake for multplayer but the graphics are quite ropey, people shouldnt get their hopes up.

remake:

fcgurbuqgah6.jpg

original:

ILu74nU.png

• Upvote 3

thats a very philosophical question for a gears of war thread.

• Upvote 3

I don't think it looks that bad.

going from one of the best water shaders of all time to something like an undulating blanket isnt great, no shadow on the pier any more, no textures on the exposed lower bits that used to be covered by water. there's no river flow effect on the 3x bridge and sniper map with the river, it now looks like a brown pond. the chainsaw bayonet looks terrible at 60fps when you do a kill because it wasnt meant to ever be seen at that frame rate, so you see that the teeth on the chainsaw dont move properly and the animation isnt really doing much - the old version obscured the view with ketchup, the new one is like when RE4 remake exposed gamecube textures to HD. it'll be fine for multiplayer but it looks like what it is, a 9 year old game with all of its rough edges bared for all to see. i'll be buying it but its best to know what youre getting - not all of its changes are for the better.

Must admit, when I checked out the before/after screenshot tool on the website most the time I didn't necessarily think 'that looks better' so much as 'that looks different'.

Maybe it's because it was a beta, it's not uncommon for reduced textures to feature to lower download sizes. Pretty sure it was the case in previous betas this gen.

i dont think so man, i think the art assets will be locked down now, its out in just over a month. they all seem artistic choices rather than space saving measures. dont get me wrong, it still looks decent, but the lighting is totally different. canals is now brown and gold instead of icey blues and greys, the water doesnt flow and so on. i wish these remakes wouldnt take the arrogant stance on trying to improve upon great earlier work. just like the designers of the halo remake textures missed the point and went too busy + colourful, these guys have done the same.

anyway it still plays well, i'll be up for games when it comes out and we can play forum games.

The worst thing about the remastered Canals is how dark it is; I hope they sort that out before launch, it's one of my favourites from the original.

Supposedly the new reticle bloom on the sniper was technically there before, just not visualised. I'm inclined to think that's true given the way various little collision detection glitches are just as they were in the 360 version. I'd still prefer the older version back, but started hitting pop-shots better after some practice.

Really looking forward to getting this on PC. The multiplayer was really something else on 360 back in the day.

The worst thing about the remastered Canals is how dark it is; I hope they sort that out before launch, it's one of my favourites from the original.

I found it horrifically dark after calibration - had to ramp the gamma right up beyond what they wanted and then it was fine.

Seabiscuit4life!!

Having not actually played gears since the original, quite excited. Played originals multiplayer to death...or rather, until WoW took over for awhile.

Having said that, I recognised none of the maps shown above.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I lost interest in this when I realised it was on the original gears only, was hoping to play horde again, incredible in 3 with some outstanding and atmospherical graphics.

Having not actually played gears since the original, quite excited. Played originals multiplayer to death...or rather, until WoW took over for awhile.

Having said that, I recognised none of the maps shown above.

So what you're saying is you didn't play multiplayer to death even remotely? Good stuff.

Well yeah you're clearly not playing it so it's easy to draw conclusions based on a couple of static screenshots that have been cross-posted from NeoGaf.

If you've got time to stop and look at the water you're not playing the game. The water smacks the harbour wall and rises about 20 feet in the air which you catch in your peripheral vision if you're lucky and the area isn't busy.

It's really quite a simple proposition if you like Gears and want to play it at 60fps here it is cheap. If not, don't. If the water effects bother you stop playing games and start looking at pictures instead.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 12

It's not just the water effects though. It just looks stripped back and basic. The texture on your character looks a bit better though.

Maybe effects where stripped back on xbone to get a constant 60fps in which case that's a good call. However, I hope the PC version does not suffer the same stripped back fate.

id have preferred to get a port the original PC version at 1080p, cleaned up and 60fps. considering this remake looks worse in many places and has issues with 60fps (there was tearing in the beta). it'll still be fun but it doesnt feel like a premium product at all, which is weird considering how huge the original was. i played gears 3 for a bit last night and it looks fucking amazing, they really had their skills dialled in, the graphics are unbelievable still. phone shots.

ethegi.jpg

auxvg4.jpg