Resident Evil 2 Pre Release.

DJ Sack

Any one else remember how Resident evil 2 was going to be a lot different? More zombies on screen, but less detail, a more futuristic police station compared to the almost gothic one that we all wandered into, characters who could change their clothing for different needs.

Heres a pic of it resevil.jpg

Also while thinking about this found this great website with loads of details and pics about it Click me im the site!

Would be interesting to know more about the differences as its not just looks, total change to the story with different weapons, characters and so on. Also no claire redfield, which means no Resident evil CV.

It was called resi evil 1.5 unnofficially.

Btw iv got a resi 2 debug disc, u press the shoulder buttons to warp to any room and cycle thro all the objects. Duno if its rare at all. Its not an original, just a gold.

Yes it was original called Resident Evil 1.5. Apparently half of the game was made, but it played too much like the original game - so Capcom scrapped most of it and started over again. Of course they re-used quite a lot of stuff (mainly areas) but its totally different.

Also, it didnt have the 2 storys to play through - just one.

Hmm can't remember much else at this time, I had a talk with Capcom at ECTS 98 or 99 about this and he told me quite a bit.

Ive seen the pics of Resident evil 1.5 before, glad they decided to scrap it because Resident Evil 2 is one of the best games on the playstation.

Resident Evil zero on the N64 looked really good as well. I wonder how that one would have turned out without the excellent fmv found in the GCN version.

You may want to look at bioflames if the site above still aint working. Still had Leon as a character but had a biker girl called elza instead of Claire.

Heres Mikami discussing why RE2 wasnt released in this form

Shinji Mikami the producer of Resident Evil 2 and the director of Resident Evil said because the quality of Resident Evil 1.5 was too low. "I let younger staff member to develop the game, but we had a lot of problems. Material of the game was good, so I thought if we choose the direction of those materials carefully, we can make the game good, even if it doesn't taste good in the beginning, I thought we could fix it in about 3 months. But it was not at a level where we can just add seasoning and make it OK. So, we had to start all over again."

Shinji's memory of Resident Evil 1.5 is a bitter taste. But staff member of the development made a lot of effort from this point, and finally created a big entertaining Resident Evil 2 with Hunk mode and Tofu mode.

Shinji said "The gap between 1.5 and 2 is really huge. If we released 1.5, I think the series would have ended on Resident Evil 3 with big criticized reviews in the magazines."

I think the guy who was in charge of this version of RE2 left Capcom because of this, or atleast went to another division. Cant remember all the facts as its been along time since I researched 1.5 as it was called.

You may want to look at bioflames if the site above still aint working. Still had Leon as a character but had a biker girl called elza instead of Claire.

Heres Mikami discussing why RE2 wasnt released in this form

Shinji Mikami the producer of Resident Evil 2 and the director of Resident Evil said because the quality of Resident Evil 1.5 was too low. "I let younger staff member to develop the game, but we had a lot of problems. Material of the game was good, so I thought if we choose the direction of those materials carefully, we can make the game good, even if it doesn't taste good in the beginning, I thought we could fix it in about 3 months. But it was not at a level where we can just add seasoning and make it OK. So, we had to start all over again."

Shinji's memory of Resident Evil 1.5 is a bitter taste. But staff member of the development made a lot of effort from this point, and finally created a big entertaining Resident Evil 2 with Hunk mode and Tofu mode.

Shinji said "The gap between 1.5 and 2 is really huge. If we released 1.5, I think the series would have ended on Resident Evil 3 with big criticized reviews in the magazines."

I think the guy who was in charge of this version of RE2 left Capcom because of this, or atleast went to another division. Cant remember all the facts as its been along time since I researched 1.5 as it was called.

That's a really good site Wesker. I want a copy of this version after sifting through all the lovely pictures.

I remember it all too well. There was a trailer for it on some games program.. Possibly Gamesmaster.. Maybe Digitiser.. Can't remember. It looked cool as fuck.

I wonder if you can get hold of a copy anywhere? I'd love to play it - see what it was like. I'm sure it must be somewhere. Rare as fook though I guess..

There was an online petition to get 1.5 released somehow, IIRC.

I'd sure like a copy just to see how it changed.

http://www.geocities.com/bioflames/the-petition.html (or http://www.bioflames.com/petition.htm as it's now known)

Is that the one you're thinking of? I signed it a few years ago but trying to sign it now seems to go through a load of adverts so I don't know if it actually goes anywhere now (I gave up after the third advert).

There used to be RealMedia videos of footage from it to download on the Geocities site but they don't work anymore.

edit: But all those videos are downloadable as AVIs from the bioflames.com site now. (Just noticed. :s)