The Grand Tour - Amazon Prime car show - S5E1 now online

Qazimod

Watched the new ep tonight… c’est la merde.

Thought most of the material felt really tired with a desperate need of some vavavoom.

Clearly the pandemic curtailed a lot of the original plans for the episode (and some of the references to the fact were amusing), but churning out a special with so much filler between the handful of bright spots made the end result feel like a contractual obligation rather than a ‘special’.

Yeah watching it now and it's really odd. I know this lot have always had a xenophobic tilt and that there's tensions with France right now, but, well, it feels really bitter.

I mean, yeah, I know, even as someone who doesn't drive, French cars can be a bit weird and, well, temperamental (particularly in the electronics department) but seems to me they're particularly happy to ignore convention and just try something a little out of the ordinary and I kind of like that.

52 minutes ago, wev said:

Yeah watching it now and it's really odd. I know this lot have always had a xenophobic tilt and that there's tensions with France right now, but, well, it feels really bitter.

I mean, yeah, I know, even as someone who doesn't drive, French cars can be a bit weird and, well, temperamental (particularly in the electronics department) but seems to me they're particularly happy to ignore convention and just try something a little out of the ordinary and I kind of like that.

Did you watch all of it?

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Qazimod changed the title to The Grand Tour - Amazon Prime car show - S4E5 now online

The photos taken on the plane as the credits roll, was probably the funniest bit. 

But it was always going to be difficult to come back from that start I suppose. 

And how many more times do we have to watch them wake up in a funny camping spot?

A jungle road, under a dam! Maybe next time the joke will be they wake up in a hotel!! 

And yes, they weren't classic 90s rally cars. Also the group B cars were much better. 

But I still liked it, mid tier though it was. 

1 hour ago, Danster said:

I'd not actually heard of "the incident" before watching, so that actually came as a bit of a shock! 😮 

The rest of it was alright, but the racing-skiing was absolutely potty.

I'd heard he had a crash, I just wasn't expecting it to be so bad. You always kinda suspect that everything going wrong is carefully planned to go wrong and there's no real danger involved. With this one, he properly fucked up. The way the car was sliding before it hit showed it was completely out of control.

• Qazimod changed the title to The Grand Tour - Amazon Prime car show - S5E1 now online

I enjoyed the special and agree that the last half hour was rubbish but like the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car segment on Top Gear they must have some feedback that some of their viewers love it. 

Finally watching this.

Oh. I'd heard nothing. Honestly I assumed they were faking this to an extent. Then the incident.

Completely unnecessary. A show desperately trying to out do itself I guess.

Taken the sheen off watching the rest of it.

Although, on the topic of this forum... Is there water or not?

Was really taken aback by the accident, and thought the episode was alright, bar the obvious bits they’d nicked from the old Top Gear caravan episodes. Nothing has got near the Mongolia one for me though.

Had it on in the background and for the most part it passed some time. The incident was such a facepalm moment, like no one at any point thought the proposal was a bad idea? They're experienced drivers but attempting that without wearing any safety gear at all? Completely moronic, ego driven hubris. Genuinely staggering how needlessly risky it was, and incredibly lucky the damage wasn't far worse.

8 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Have you watched much top gear before? cocking around in a dangerous way is pretty much their reason to exist.

Yeah, but they usually wear helmets as a minimum for the spontaneous planned ahead in order to get permission to act like buffoons stunts

There are good bits but the “mistakes” are so clearly pre-planned it’s insulting to the viewer’s intelligence.

Aside from May’s utter, utter brain fart obviously. Which being real, wasn’t funny at all.

The whole crash incident was pretty reckless and the lack of HANS or even a helmet was madness, I dont know how it was even allowed without them.

The only bit I didn't like was the ski slope bit and towing the sheds, the rest of it was decent enough but not very exciting. At least they didn't do the big stupid presents thing, I'd love one of those big spanners though.