IGNORED

Nintendo eShop 2nd July 2015

deKay

Is this week a good week?  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As usual, from Nintendolife:

Wii U eShop

Roving Rogue (Padaone Games, €7.99 / £7.19) - This joins the run of retro-styled platformers on the Wii U, in this case including a co-op experience with plenty of running, jumping and teleporting. With 42 levels this promises much, and we'll see whether it hits its targets or goes rogue in our review.

Wii U Virtual Console

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo, €9.99 / £8.99) - Widely acknowledged as one of the finest games of all time, this Nintendo 64 classic makes its way to the Wii U; the iconic adventure title has previously had re-releases on the GameCube and Wii Virtual Console, in addition to its 3DS remaster. A true great in its genre, we gave this a perfect score in our Wii Virtual Console review back in 2007. This is the European version of the game with corrected aspect ratio.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (Nintendo, €9.99 / £8.99) - The first entry in the strategy series on DS, and it's also a remake of the very first NES game that didn't make it to the West. Another member of the rich RPG and strategy tradition on the last-gen handheld, we gave this a solid recommendation in our original Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon review.

Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising (Nintendo, €6.99 / £6.29) - This gives us our Game Boy Advance fix for the week, continuing Intelligent Systems' excellent warfare strategy series. Picking up directly from the first game, this entry introduces new units and strategies into the formula; we'll get onto the battlefield to bring you a review.

Wii U Retail Download

LEGO Jurassic World (WB Games, €49.99/ £34.99) - The delay to this Wii U release in Europe was never fully explained beyond 'supply' issues from retailers, but in any case the HD iteration of this title arrives on the eShop on 30th June in mainland Europe and 3rd July in the UK.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discounts

SDK Paint (HullBreach Studios, €3.39 / £2.99 until 9th July, normally €4.49 / £3.99)

Ittle Dew (Ludosity, €4.99 / £4.49 until 30th July, normally €9.99 / £8.99)

3DS eShop

Shingeki no Kyojin: Humanity in Chains (Atlus, €29.99 / £34.99) - Better known as Attack on Titan: Humanity in Chains, this retail title comes to Europe as an eShop-only release, though the localisation is certainly great news for fans of the hit anime show. This surreal title has some exciting combat yet also has its shares of niggles and rough edges; nevertheless we gave it a recommendation in our comprehensive Attack on Titan: Humanity in Chains review.

Mighty Gunvolt (Inti Creates, €3.49 / £3.19) - This is a retro-styled throwback with simple run and gun gameplay reminiscent of a certain Capcom franchise. Available for free with Azure Striker Gunvolt until 2nd July, this is the less expensive option for those that only want this smaller release; we gave it a strong recommendation in our Mighty Gunvolt review.

Fantasy Pirates (EnjoyUp Games, €1.99 / £1.99) - Another entry from the prolific Spanish publisher / developer, this is a 15-stage adventure in which you navigate your pirate boat with 360-degree movement to find treasure and sink rivals; it's also promising a 1 vs. 1 online mode. We'll take to the seas for a review.

Karous -The Beast of Re:Eden- (CIRCLE Entertainment, €5.99 / £4.79) - A vertically scrolling shmup out of Japan, this puts you in charge of a mech in which you obliterate many waves of enemies across plenty of levels. Unfortunately its attempts at plot fall short and are only backed up by mediocre gameplay; you can get the full lowdown in our Karous -The Beast of Re:Eden- review.

3DS Retail Downloads

The Smurfs (Ubisoft, €19.99 / £17.99)

Paddington: Adventures in London (Anuman, €29.99 / £24.99)

YAKARI: The Mystery of Four-Seasons (Anuman, €29.99 / £24.99)

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (Capcom, €13.99 / £11.19 until 16th July, normally €24.99 / £19.99)

Tappingo (CIRCLE Entertainment, €1.99 / £1.69until 23rd July, normally €2.99 / £2.49)

Secrets of the Titanic 1912-2012 (Avanquest, €2.99 / £1.99 until 16th July, normally €10.99 / £9.99)

Hotel Transylvania (Avanquest, €4.99 / £4.99 until 16th July, normally €19.99 / £17.99)

Doodle Jump Adventures (Avanquest, €4.99 / £4.99 until 16th July, normally €24.99 / £19.99)

Jewel Quest: The Sapphire Dragon (MSL, €4.99 / £4.49 until 30th July, normally €11.99 / £10.79)

Jewel Quest Mysteries 3 - The Seventh Gate (MSL, €2.99 / £2.69 until 30th July, normally €11.99 / £10.79)

Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst (MSL, €4.99 / £4.49 until 30th July, normally €11.99 / £10.79)

Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst (MSL, €4.99 / £4.49 until 30th July, normally €11.99 / £10.79)

Hidden Expedition: Titanic (MSL, €3.99 / £3.59 until 30th July, normally €11.99 / £10.79)

Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove (MSL, €3.99 / £3.59 until 30th July, normally €11.99 / £10.79)

4 Elements (MSL, €2.99 / £2.69 until 30th July, normally €12.00 / £10.79)

Luxor (MSL, €2.99 / £2.69 until 30th July, normally €11.99 / £10.79)

Jewel Quest 4 Heritage (MSL, €2.99 / £2.69 until 30th July, normally €11.99 / £10.79)

Secret Mysteries in London (MSL, €2.99 / £2.69 until 30th July, normally €11.99 / £10.79)

Azada (MSL, €2.99 / £2.69 until 30th July, normally €11.99 / £10.79)

Toy Stunt Bike (Wobbly Tooth, €2.49 / £2.25 until 30th July, normally €4.99 / £4.49)

3D Game Collection (Joindots, €4.99 / £3.69 until 16th July, normally €6.99 / £4.99)

Funfair Party Games (Joindots, €4.99 / £3.69 until 16th July, normally €6.99 / £4.99)

Gardenscapes (Joindots, €5.99 / £4.49 until 16th July, normally €7.99 / £5.99)

Jewel Match 3 (Joindots, €4.99 / £3.99 until 16th July, normally €6.99 / £4.99)

Safari Quest (Joindots, €4.99 / £3.99 until 16th July, normally €6.99 / £4.99)

European Conqueror 3D (CIRCLE Entertainment, €2.99 / £2.39 until 23rd July, normally €3.99 / £3.19)

The Legend of Dark Witch - Chronicle 2D ACT (CIRCLE Entertainment, €2.99 / £2.39 until 23rd July, normally €3.99 / £3.19)

Football Up 3D (EnjoyUp Games, €1.99 / £1.79 until 30th July, normally €2.99 / £2.36)

Wow, didn't Dig Dug pay full price for Ace Attorney just a few days ago? >_<

Yeah I did and it was totally fucking worth it too.

That said I the money saved would have gone towards Shadow Dragon but I'll just get that anyway.

To be honest, if you love Ocarina of Time you should've really got it on the 3DS as that's the best version ever.

Done, and Master Quest too. But...

1. Not on a big screen.

2. Help Stones ruin it a bit.

I'll miss the easier to deal with inventory though. Blah blah WATER TEMPLE blah.

Edit: and of course the graphics update was overall great.

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (Capcom, €13.99 / £11.19 until 16th July, normally €24.99 / £19.99)

Bad timing. I've just bought a Vita and a load of games, but I'd've snapped this up a few weeks ago when I had nothing to play.

Also, I've just discovered it was ported to iOS last year and is cheaper than this as standard.

There's something very wrong about being able to get Shadow Dragon on Wii U but not 3DS. I mean, there's something wrong with all the GBA games being Wii U only too, but I'm used to that; that a game which works as a cart on 3DS is a new source of distress.*

Particularly frustrating as I'm about to spend a week away from home, so a Fire Emblem to playthrough would have been perfect; as it is, it looks like the Vita and PSP will be my travel companions.

*this has almost certainly happened before, just not for games I would want to play on 3DS.

I think Nintendo putting DS games on Wii U is their way of getting around not being able to make those games playable on a TV during the Wii years. They probably know that people loved Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player so with DS VC they can now continue making handheld games playable on a television. It wouldn't surprise me if they had that in mind when they originally came up with the idea for the tablet controller.

I can imagine that while the few people who bought things like the Gameboy Player loved them, everyone else just thought they were a complete waste of time because blowing the games up to TV size looked rubbish even with the minor colour updates. It's something almost nobody actually wants, and just because DS games tended to have a touchscreen component it doesn't mean that the Wii U tablet is a suitable direct fit for the games either, if they're going to do something I'd rather they concentrate on SNES, N64 and Gamecube games as it's not like there aren't enough of them to pick from.

The 3DS can't handle DS games. It has to flip into DS mode to play DS carts.

Yeah, the same as with the GBA games it "can't" play. The Vita has to drop its networking functionality and switch to Playstation mode to play PS1 games, and you know what? That doesn't stop Sony making them available on the PS store. Bloody Nintendo, man :(

(In fairness, I may still take the 3DS with me - and take my actual physical copies of the DS Advance Wars titles with me to play, even if it means I have to - horror - experience the 3DS running in DS mode - but I don't have Fire Emblem :( )