Gaming Punishments

Kryptonian

I don't mean like playing Wheel of Fortune on the SNES, a guy at work has a PS4 controller with him today as his kid was naughty yesterday so isnt allowed to play. Is this how it's done these days?

When I was a lad, you would be grounded but I guess that doesn't cut it these days as they would just stay in with all their gadgets.

Did anyone here have parents who knew gaming restrictions was a good way to punish you or are you now that parent? My kids are too young at the moment for this to be an issue but am interested in what others do at the moment.

The worst would be a blanket shut down of the router, coupled with lack of controllers I imagine

If they're not listening repeatedly, unplug and take everything away (includes mobile devices) until they do all their homework and chores.

No amount of crying and whining will fix it for them when they know the goal is right in front of them to get back what it is they want.

General naughtyness but still doing what they need to do in life mainly means no rewards for being so. Though at that point you'd also need to sit down and tell them/explain not to be naughty. Lack of reward alone doesn't help naughtyness, requires, you know, parenting.

not really a punishment but to fund my 2nd hand amiga, i had to sell my c64 when i was like 13 and survive 6 whole weeks without a computer. it was absolute torture, especially after getting 30 mins on shadow of the beast to test it all worked.

My mum and dad took my TV off me so I couldn't play on my C64, when my grades in school weren't good enough. So it's hardly a new thing.

I've worked with a couple of women who have brought their husbands' controllers to work with them to ensure they do the diy stuff they're supposed to.

When I was a lad, you would be grounded but I guess that doesn't cut it these days as they would just stay in with all their gadgets.

Yeah, that documentary where the family 'lived through' several decades over a couple of weeks made the same point - back in the 70s, being sent to your room was a punishment, because there was little to do in there (there'd be one TV and one 'phone line in the entire house, nobody owned a computer, and the only thing you were playing a game on was a board).

These days it's an entertainment hub the likes of which we never even dreamed of. Do kids ever get bored, these days?

my dad would take the mega drive controllers away for any old reason not knowing that the master system pads were the same plug so I could at least still play sonic the hedgehog.

then again, he would also lock me and my brother in our rooms for 7 days a week with nothing to eat but baked beans on toast, the spiteful hateful cunt, so swings and roundabouts

When I was in my early teens, me and some friends used to play on one guy's Amiga for hours and hours, even during the height of summer. If his dad thought we'd been up there too long he used to flick the electrics off to his room. Particularly vexing when in the middle of an Eye of the Beholder session.

My daughter is terrible, not only do we have to lock her iPad and phone away at night (because she'll be up all night or at like five a.m. if we don't.) we've also now had to start taking her remote control for her tv away. We used to have to limit her to an hour of DS play, because otherwise she'd stay on it forever and turn into a horrible zombie. But the threat of removing access to her iPad is enough to get her to do stuff.

The router is setup to stop late night or early morning internet, she gets it between 7am and 9pm, I think that's plenty. But she has just had her phone confiscated (forever if I have my way) because she was using it late at night (outside of available router hours) and so ran up a large mobile network bill. Yes I know, as soon as that contract stops she's going onto PAYG!

I pre-ordered the wii when it came out. My parents kept telling me it was out of stock. I got it on Christmas day because they decided that I should be made to wait 3 weeks for it after being bad at school. Actually worked out for me because I didn't have money for any games on top of the system and 3 weeks of just wii sports would have been pretty shitty.

really guys?

I just have to tell my son he can't do something, as and when (DS/Kindle/FIFA14), and he doesn't do it. Mind you, he's only 7 so perhaps most of that is more "supervised", than with older kids, anyway.

Heh. It helps that we're a pretty savvy age, tech-wise. My baby momma used to actually make my son go out and play, when he'd done wrong. But not before making him hand over his PS1 memory cards.

When my daughter lived with me, it was a simple laptop confiscation. As a matter of course, though, I'd turn off the wireless (only hard-wired gear would work) at about 10 every evening. Elsewise, it'd have been MSN Messenger and giggling through the night.

really guys?

I just have to tell my son he can't do something, as and when (DS/Kindle/FIFA14), and he doesn't do it. Mind you, he's only 7 so perhaps most of that is more "supervised", than with older kids, anyway.

My parents would do that, just tell me I was barred from playing games and I listened to them because I know I'd get another telling off if I did do what they said.

Ever since we started gaming at home my folks would monitor how much time my brother and I spent playing games, and we'd always have to ask permission before we could fire up the C64, so there were already some form of controls in place. I guess the only real gaming-related punishment would be when we asked permission and they refused, but normally we didn't even dare to ask permission because the telling-off was enough of a clue that we shouldn't try. :P

With the permissions and the time limits it might make it sound like my parents are a bit controlling, but when I read sensationalist news pieces about kids playing 18 rated games all day and parents using gaming to keep the kids quiet, I'm kind of glad they were so careful. The closest I've been to the other side of the situation is when my nephew comes over and asks to play Forza, but it's a bit advanced for him and he gets bored quickly so I never really have to wrench the controller from his hands... :D

Lucas gets banned from the consoles, laptop, tablet and boardgames if he is naughty. Generally only one per 'crime' but at times it has made its way to all three options. Each punishment is for 24 hours as I think any longer and it loses the effect. I don't think I have ever had to remove controllers, devices, etc. He just knows he is banned when we tell him.

The one where he knows he is in deep, deep shit, is if he gets banned from going to ice hockey training.

Luckily it all seems to work as the bans are less frequent now.

One thing we have done now though, is remove all electronics from his room. It is for sleeping and reading only.

then again, he would also lock me and my brother in our rooms for 7 days a week with nothing to eat but baked beans on toast, the spiteful hateful cunt, so swings and roundabouts

Hang on a minute, we can't just let this one slip by.

One thing we have done now though, is remove all electronics from his room. It is for sleeping and reading only.

must be quite harsh not having an alarm clock, lamps, his watch, plugs or his mobile in there

really guys?

Yup, my youngest will do that too. Tell her to stop playing and she just does it. Amazing! because our middle one will just carry on playing until you're practically having to wrench it out of her hands.

Luxury. We'd get a handful of hot gravel and our dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle. And it wasn't so much a room as a paper bag in a septic tank.