IGNORED

Top Gun: Maverick

JohnC

15 minutes ago, nightwaxon said:

Watched it this evening. It was superb. Cheesy American Schmalz. Utterly predictable, but hugely enjoyable 

Yep been to see it too and would largely agree with this.  

Although not sure about utterly predictable as: 

Spoiler

I was assuming all the way through the film that Mav was not coming back from the mission.

9 hours ago, Waggo said:

Yep been to see it too and would largely agree with this.  

Although not sure about utterly predictable as: 

Hide contents

I was assuming all the way through the film that Mav was not coming back from the mission.

What I really liked is how well executed the fairly simple plot was

Spoiler

Create a mission that looks super difficult on screen in the initial briefing

Show the pilots aren't up to it.

Show the mission is super, super difficult and potentially fatal even when simulating it without an enemy or actual giant cliffs.

Up the stakes with a reduced time frame

Show it is possible to do the mission in simulation, but that even, best pilot ever Maverick is really struggling to get it done.

So when it comes to the actual mission - the audience know exactly what they have to do as its been clearly shown throughout and the tension of it is off the charts when the pilots and the audience get to see the reality of those canyons and missle launchers.  

Just really well done and I'd agree that it was hard to predict if everyone was coming home - the only thing that was super obvious was that Hangman would 100% save the day at the end.  Once Rooster and Maverick got together then it was clear that everyone was going to survive, but during the actual bombing run on the canyon I think everyone could potentially have died except Rooster.

2 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

What I really liked is how well executed the fairly simple plot was

Hide contents

Create a mission that looks super difficult on screen in the initial briefing

Show the pilots aren't up to it.

Show the mission is super, super difficult and potentially fatal even when simulating it without an enemy or actual giant cliffs.

Up the stakes with a reduced time frame

Show it is possible to do the mission in simulation, but that even, best pilot ever Maverick is really struggling to get it done.

So when it comes to the actual mission - the audience know exactly what they have to do as its been clearly shown throughout and the tension of it is off the charts when the pilots and the audience get to see the reality of those canyons and missle launchers.  

Just really well done and I'd agree that it was hard to predict if everyone was coming home - the only thing that was super obvious was that Hangman would 100% save the day at the end.  Once Rooster and Maverick got together then it was clear that everyone was going to survive, but during the actual bombing run on the canyon I think everyone could potentially have died except Rooster.

Yeah this is exactly it. 

Spoiler

It's super tight in its plotting and while all of the "this mission is impossible!" (classic Tom) initially seems like it might be a bit over the top/macho, it just means that by the time you get to the sequence of Maverick flying through to prove it can be done you know exactly where he needs to go and what to do. And then they repeat it in the last mission and the stakes are still crazy high but with that "they can fucking do this, MAVERICK DID IT!" side of things too. 

I spend all of these countless Marvel movies thinking that they don't have stakes because nobody ever dies (Endgame aside). I know everyone's going to be fine eventually so it's boring, or so I thought. But in this I was sitting there thinking "don't kill any of my smarmy macho mates. They're all very silly but I love them all dearly." It turns out a great way to build stakes is by having likeable characters that I care about. Who knew!?

Best bit for me:

Spoiler

What the hell were you thinking?  YOU TOLD ME NOT TO THINK!!!!

Perfectly timed amid the spectacle and tension as a wink to the viewer not to take it all too seriously, and the look on Tom's face is priceless

How do you update what might be the most 80s film ever?

You don't bother. You just remake it. It's just as loud, just as silly, and just as amazing. See it on the biggest screen you can, because the arial sequences are spectacular.

When that first engine kicks in and your seat vibrates 🥰

Apologies if I spam the thread, I'm very emotional right now

They handled Val Kilmers condition in absolutely the most tasteful way they could have. When Maverick says

Spoiler

It's back isn't it?

I broke, my daughter's going to see it with her boyfriend (she was babysitting her sisters) I'm wondering if and how I should warn her

She was so, so disappointed by its delays, when it got pushed back to Christmas 21 she cried, she said she was never going to see it, I told her she would, I was confident she would, absolutely certain.

I was wrong.

Spoiler

When Maverick was hit, I thought that was it, he was gone. Genuinely. Goose died in 86, Carole/Meg Ryan died off screen, Iceman loses his fight with cancer, I was ready for Maverick to go, that would have been okay, the mission was a success, he saved Rooster, he was a hero.

But then he wasn't dead and I broke again.

Fucking hell.

It feels like I've sent her off all over again.

Oh and Rooster was perfectly cast, it wasn't just his physical appearance, he really did capture Anthony Edwards 

I can't wait to get this on 4k, I wonder when it will be released-  July/August?

I wouldnt show the original it to my kids, whilst I will always love that film Tom Cruise is way too much of a sex pest, but this one is great and still hits all the right numbers and is LOUD.

It took me till about 2am to drop off, brain was way too stimulated.

This is absolutely fucking amazing. Those action sequences, fucking hell.

My aunt, who is sadly now almost completely deaf, loved the original Top Gun because she used to work for Rolls Royce on their aircraft engines back in the 70s, and she introduced the film to me as a kid. While she likely won't want to go to the cinema to watch the sequel (even if there's a closed caption screening somewhere), I'm definitely going to have her round mine to watch this with subtitles on when it comes out on UHD Blu-Ray. She'll absolutely adore the aerial photography and the story of the thing. Can't wait.

This clearly also fed into A New Hope vibes for me. Apart from obviously generally 80's vibes and the OG film. 

So refreshing to rest your eyes on these vistas that for the most part aren't 90% CGI. 

The sequence where:

Spoiler

Maverick proves the mission can be done

Is an all-timer. So, so tense and triumphant.

Spoiler

The editing during it is top tier - the slowly building reactions in the teaching room are as important as the action itself.

I remember when this was announced I was automatically a bit negative and wrote it off as a failure in the making. I'm happy to admit that it seems I was as wrong as I could've been and I can't wait to watch it now. 

On 26/05/2022 at 10:37, Hanzo the Razor said:

I liked how all the women were buttoned up to the neck while the men showed off their man flesh during the obligatory volleyball with a rugby ball scene. Not one inch of boob in sight.

And Cruise’s love interest isn’t 25.

That was special. 

So refreshing not to have an obvious CGI wankfest that's oh so common in action films. It felt like a film truly sticking to it's guns to appease the fans of the original and older folks who grew up with 80s and 90s action films. And that's why it succeeds. 

Brilliantly shot, edited to absolute perfection (I'm guessing that two year delay helped greatly in post production) well acted with just the right amount of cheese (there's not much though like some reviewers said).

The dogfighting/flying was so well done. It felt real. It was tense, exciting and gave me chills. 

The only other big budget action film to give me these vibes was Mad Max Fury Road. And that's all you need to know

16 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Yeah, doing stuff in camera as much as possible is just the best!

Not sure if you are taking the piss?