Top Gun: Maverick

JohnC

Spoiler

DANGER ZONE!

GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!

HARD DECK!

TOPLESS SPORT AND OILED FLEXING FOR NO REASON!

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE: MAVERICK!

TOMCAT!

ENEMIES WITH BLACK VISORS!

MASSIVE POST-MISSION HUGS AND GRINS!

:omg:

I need to go again and this time in IMAX. Those flight scenes were elite. Don’t think there are many better vehicular action scenes committed to film. Just incredible.

1 hour ago, Festoon said:

Did you see how they actually shot the in plane stuff?

Clue: It was in planes.

Yeah that was my original point. It felt great because it was real. 

But spags comment seemed like he was taking the piss at me criticising CGI. 

It sounds like Cruise has tried to make this the ultimate immersive cinema experience to bring people back to theatres with all the shot in IMAX scenes, extra 50 mins of Srcreen X content and great 4DX support as well.  I wish they could just combine all these things.  

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

What rating is this please, and would it be suitable for an 8 year old? 

There’s a few swears, but otherwise it’s a pretty gentle 12A. If your 8 year old has any interest in planes they’ll probably want to be a pilot by the end credits.

Very mild spoilers for ratings:

Spoiler

There’s a brief sex scene (no nudity)

Some threat, but nothing graphic in terms of violence, just exploding planes.

Can’t think of anything else that might distress a kid, besides how loud it is.

1 hour ago, Timbuktu said:

It sounds like Cruise has tried to make this the ultimate immersive cinema experience to bring people back to theatres with all the shot in IMAX scenes, extra 50 mins of Srcreen X content and great 4DX support as well.  I wish they could just combine all these things.  

Except that it was filmed and in the can in 2019. So well before the lurgie kicked in. I'm sure Cruise gives less than no fucks about how you experience a film he made three years ago. He's too busy being a lunatic and filming Mission Impossible 9: We've Ran Out of Ideas.

20 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Nah, you're wrong on that on. Cruise is a huge fan of cinema and expressed multiple times that films need to be seen on the big screen. He flat our refused to let them release this on streaming during the pandemic because everything they'd done deserved to be seen on the big screen.

He genuinly loves cinema and goes to see every film he can get to. He even launched a campaign to stop films being filmed and released in higher fps because it made them look cheap.

Yes, he's a weird fucker in his personal/religious life but when it comes to film and the experience of it, he's second to none. Everyone who works with him says hes amazing to work with and values everyones input. It'll be interesting to see if he ever moves into directing.

Long story short, he makes films for the big screen and very much cares.

Fair enough man.

Cruise definitely is a bit of a weird guy and isn't an amazing actor* but I'd say he's arguably the last great movie star in the traditional vein. Picks his projects really well too.

*He has is moments though, he was the bomb in Magnolia, yo.

I think he nearly ruined himself with the whole sofa bouncing thing and Scientology is still something we should probably be wary of, but God damn has he made some exceptional action films, especially over the last several years (The Mummy aside).

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

I absolutely loved this. What a fantastic piece of pure cinema and by far the best of these nostalgia sequels.

You'd get smashed if you took a shot every time they say 'fifth generation fighters'

:lol:

obviously didn't get the permission to use an actual non-US plane compared to the mig-28s they liked to name drop in the original 

2 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Nah, you're wrong on that on. Cruise is a huge fan of cinema and expressed multiple times that films need to be seen on the big screen. He flat our refused to let them release this on streaming during the pandemic because everything they'd done deserved to be seen on the big screen.

He genuinly loves cinema and goes to see every film he can get to. He even launched a campaign to stop films being filmed and released in higher fps because it made them look cheap.

Yes, he's a weird fucker in his personal/religious life but when it comes to film and the experience of it, he's second to none. Everyone who works with him says hes amazing to work with and values everyones input. It'll be interesting to see if he ever moves into directing.

Aye I'm not a huge fan of Cruise 'the man' (although I don't hate him like many do) but he really does care about film, is super entertaining to watch and goes in 100%.

Remember this? He's right.

21 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

Aye I'm not a huge fan of Cruise 'the man' (although I don't hate him like many do) but he really does care about film, is super entertaining to watch and goes in 100%.

Remember this? He's right.

Ah this is the one I meant and they are 100% correct too.

55 minutes ago, wev said:

:lol:

obviously didn't get the permission to use an actual non-US plane compared to the mig-28s they liked to name drop in the original 

Spoiler

Those are Russian Sukhoi SU-57s, oddly they aren’t referred to as such. Although IIRC they use the plane’s NATO codename “Felon” at some point.

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:
  Hide contents

Those are Russian Sukhoi SU-57s, oddly they aren’t referred to as such. Although IIRC they use the plane’s NATO codename “Felon” at some point.

They never specify who the baddies are either, I think when they made it they just didn't want to upset Russia maybe?

Of course now it seems absurd that the Russians would have a functional military.

6 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Everyone who works with him says hes amazing to work with and values everyones input. It'll be interesting to see if he ever moves into directing.

Can confirm this. My studio does the Mission Impossible vfx and he comes in regularly for dailies sessions. He's a top bloke, very friendly and open, treats everybody as an equal and makes an effort to know everybody's names, including the runners. 

I was smiling from the start.  I LOVE what they did with the main theme :wub: 

And I wanted to cry from sheer joy so many times.  It’s the sequel of all sequels.  I can’t form proper thoughts on it :wub: 

The way they handled Val kilmer was so classy and brilliant. 

Spoiler

I had avoided all spoilers so wasn't sure if all we would get was a picture in a wall or text msg conversation.

When it happened, I had a tear in my eye. It was an emotional scene (especially on Tom's face), even more so since I watched the Val documentary a few days earlier. 

Just got out - A2 jacket, white t-shirt and 501s on to boot ha.

Fucking magnificent!  A pitch perfect sequel to, looking back, yeah a really influential movie.

Wanna go again soon!

One observation of the crowd in the theatre, is that it was the most demographically diverse I’ve seen since Avatar.

Saw this last Thursday night at my local Warrrington Odeon; absolutely loved it. A far better sequel than it deserved to be.

My missus had a tear in her eye at the end. 

I need to see this again, in IMAX. Those flying scenes OMG 20 outta 10!! 

Glad he's doing M:I back to back before he does himself an injury he can't come back from

7 hours ago, deerokus said:

They never specify who the baddies are either, I think when they made it they just didn't want to upset Russia maybe?

Of course now it seems absurd that the Russians would have a functional military.

Could be many reasons.  Back to the Future’s dodgy Libyans aged badly!  Keeping the enemy nameless means it can be timeless IMO :wub: 

23 hours ago, Stigweard said:

He also led a campaign to advise people to turn off crap like motion flow on their fancy new TVs