IGNORED

Top Gun: Maverick

JohnC

The amazing thing about that is it even needs a campaign - the only thing motion smoothing achieves is to make everything look like shit.

Just back from a showing and it was very enjoyable.

Spoiler

When he did that unauthorised solo run on the practice course, it looked intense as fuck. In a real-life sense rather than just a movie sense.

When he bailed in Iran, I was happy they didn't spend much time (or virtually any) with him on the run and quickly got to a goddamn Tomcat, which also made me smile.

Teller was pretty damn good as the Son of Goose.

Iceman was great and sad and great. Though I did suspect the funeral from the trailers could have been for him rather than any of the pilots.

3 hours ago, ZOK said:

The amazing thing about that is it even needs a campaign - the only thing motion smoothing achieves is to make everything look like shit.

And yet it's surprising how many people keep it on without realising it.

Someone came around our house the other day and said their TV looked weird compared to mine. That it looked unnatural somehow. 

I turned them how to turn the motion flow off and they said it was like waking up after being trapped in the Matrix :lol:

I’m going to see it again today :omg: Monday is cheap day at the cinema and I’m on leave, so it’s a tenner at the Odeon Luxe on the iSense screen :) 

On 13/05/2022 at 00:20, Capwn said:

Sorry but no way is this going to be good, this isn't going to be Mad Max Fury all over again is it?

This aged well! You seen it yet Capwn?

This is going to be by far the biggest opening weekend of Tom Cruise's career. I was pretty astonished to find out that he's never had a $100 domestic opening weekend - his films tend to have longer legs than most, rather than splashing early at the box office.

But look!

In a promising sign for the summer season, Paramount and Skydance’s Top Gun: Maverick scored the second-best Memorial Day opening of all time with a projected three-day domestic haul of $124 million and $151 million for the four days. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End remains the record holder for now with a treasure chest of $153 million, according to Disney. (There’s been confusion all weekend about which film holds the record. And if Top Gun overperforms on Sunday, it could still claim the spoils.)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/top-gun-opens-box-office-tom-cruise-1235155078/

I don't think he's had a billion dollar hit yet, either. Could this be the one?

Ironically considering it's Top Gun, we need Goose back for a box office report. Talk to me, @Goose!

2 hours ago, sprite said:

This aged well! You seen it yet Capwn?

Nope, still not comfortable with cinemas. Waiting for it to come to streaming so that I can watch it on my phone and then come in here saying 'It was ok...'

40 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

This is going to be by far the biggest opening weekend of Tom Cruise's career. I was pretty astonished to find out that he's never had a $100 domestic opening weekend - his films tend to have longer legs than most, rather than splashing early at the box office.

But look!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/top-gun-opens-box-office-tom-cruise-1235155078/

I don't think he's had a billion dollar hit yet, either. Could this be the one?

Ironically considering it's Top Gun, we need Goose back for a box office report. Talk to me, @Goose!

Those box office reports were excellent and a cap in the feather for this site. ‘Talk to me Goose’  😂

Watching the movies back to back the main thing I noticed was that Tom Cruise with his top off is no longer quite as triangular.

This was the best episode of Airwolf I’ve ever seen. 

On 28/05/2022 at 00:44, strider said:

That was fucking magnificent and so much better than the original. Absolutely loved it.

I don’t think it’s close to being better than the original, in that the original invented everything about it, and this “just” did the same thing again, and thankfully didn’t try to be more, its dialogue and character moments were exactly as stupid and its aesthetics were bob on.

Obviously all the action is remarkable though. You’ve got to admire how good Tom Cruise is at being Tom Cruise. 

39 minutes ago, Graham S said:

I don’t think it’s close to being better than the original, in that the original invented everything about it, and this “just” did the same thing again, and thankfully didn’t try to be more, its dialogue and character moments were exactly as stupid and its aesthetics were bob on.

Obviously all the action is remarkable though. You’ve got to admire how good Tom Cruise is at being Tom Cruise. 

Fair enough. I think it greatly evolves him as a character for a start. He's basically nothing more than a walking hard on in the first film and awfully predatory. I didn't have massively high expectations as I don't think the first film is a five star movie or anything, so it significantly blew me away. And yes, Cruise is great at being Cruise. Cinema is going to be a little poorer when he stops making movies.

I’ve just seen this, and I thought it was absolutely fantastic. Not much more to add to what other people have said, but the last half hour or so was ridiculous in every sense of the word, and just beautifully shot and edited. The sequence with the core mission was one of the most exciting things I’ve ever seen in the cinema, the bit where 

Spoiler

Maverick throws his plane in front of Rooster’s and launches his flares almost made me cry out with the sheer adrenaline overload of it all.

I liked the way that they constructed it as the classic film plot where a mentor teaches a bunch of young guns to accomplish some challenging task, but cleverly managed to avoid having the scene where the pupil surpasses his or her teachers. Maverick was better than all of them put together, as is right and just. The bit where Mav steals a plane and demonstrates that the impossible mission can in fact be done was pure, unadulterated cinema, the kind of thing that bypasses the bit of your brain that analyses and goes straight for the bit that cares.

I have to confess that I welled up during the  Iceman / Admiral Kazansky scene. The dialogue wasn’t especially good, but I found Val Kilmer’s role to be nicely dignified, and the contrast between how beautiful he was in the eighties and his post-cancer state was really moving. The friendship between Iceman and Maverick seemed genuine. I thought it was touching. 

The only negative was how perfunctory Maverick’s love interest was, and how uninspiring Jennifer Connelly’s role was. She did the best anyone could have done with such thin gruel, but given that the rest of the film leaned so heavily on Maverick’s past and his relationship with his contemporaries at the fighter weapons school in the eighties, it was hard to care much about his romance with someone with whom the audience has no attachments. I’m sure the filmmakers had their reasons for not asking Kelly McGillis or Meg Ryan back, but even a cameo from either would have been more satisfying than the absurdly chaste hookup he has with Penny Loveinterest. 

But otherwise, that was absolutely excellent. Big, cathartic thrills of the kind that cinema was made for. Edgar Wright and Hideo Kojima have seen it three times (separately, I assume), and I reckon I could easily see this twice more. 

One other thing. I suspect that I’m onto a loser by even considering asking why something happened in Top Gun Maverick, but

Spoiler

when going over the top of the ridge and down into the Death Star exhaust vent crater of doom, why did the pilots have to invert? I guess the real answer is “because it looked fucking amazing”, but can fighter jets turn faster when pulling back or something?

Spoiler

From my days with Falcon on the Atari ST, I believe it's easier for a jet to pull up than pitch down.

I watched it last night and thought it was excellent. Spectacular aerial photography and inside cockpit stuff. Great balance of action and character, and triumphantly uplifting. I'm pretty sure everyone in the audience spent the first twenty minutes or so with a huge grin on their face.

18 minutes ago, K said:

One other thing. I suspect that I’m onto a loser by even considering asking why something happened in Top Gun Maverick, but

Reveal hidden contents

when going over the top of the ridge and down into the Death Star exhaust vent crater of doom, why did the pilots have to invert? I guess the real answer is “because it looked fucking amazing”, but can fighter jets turn faster when pulling back or something?

Basically yes

Spoiler

If they had stayed wings level and ‘pushed’ over the top, there would have been some serious negative G, which is really uncomfortable, and the aircraft is probably not stressed to more than about -3. Rolling and pulling allows more G (they say in the film the Super Hornet has a 7.5G limit but they exceed that to 9+ on the pull-out) to make it a tighter apex over the top and is more comfortable. It’s pretty normal.

Also if inverted it would be easier to visually acquire the target (although more difficult for Bob to get the targeting pod on).

Yeah, took me back to Aerowings on the Dreamcast and it walking you through so advanced piloting manoeuvres 🥰

@K

Penny was the Admirals daughter that Meg Ryan tells Charlie about in the bar whilst Maverick and Goose sing Great Balls of Fire.

I've probably watched Top Gun far too much as my step brother was obsessed with it too before I'd even met Charly 

Saw this yesterday in the cinema and just loved it from start to finish - growing up with original I kinda walked into this yesterday thinking no way this will even come close to the original…

well I was wrong this was just an amazing movie from start to finish and one of the rare movies that is equal if not (as some others have said) better in ways than the original.  A proper needs to been seen in the cinema experience.

been so hyped since seeing it that I’ve spent the day playing the free maverick dlc on ms flight sim in vr with my flight stick …. Hah maverick can fly on my wing any day! 

I thought this was better than the original. I haven’t seen the first film for a while, but I remember the air combat sequences being quite hard to follow, and mainly consisting of planes going whoosh past the camera and lots of close ups of people’s eyes bugging out. The sequel has plenty of that too, but the action scenes were beautifully constructed. You almost always had exactly as much information as you needed. 

They were very, for want of a better word, physical too. Like you could see what the pilots were putting the cast through and you could see the training they'd been doing in things like when and how to breathe.

4 minutes ago, ucci said:

Any dedication to Tony Scott?

Yes.

It's also credited as a Don Simpson/Jerry Bruckheimer Films project rather then just Bruckheimer.