Top Gun: Maverick

JohnC

Of course the action scenes are better to a ludicrous degree. It just feels wrong to me that you can lovingly copy everything about Top Gun and then it be  considered a better film overall. It’s always going to be a second generation photocopy nostalgia fest. This is like the bit where they play volleyball! Look he’s riding the same bike wearing the same clothes! It’s a strange postmodern spectacle. I’m not being critical, it’s a remarkable achievement that does what it sets out to do brilliantly.

15 minutes ago, Graham S said:

Of course the action scenes are better to a ludicrous degree. It just feels wrong to me that you can lovingly copy everything about Top Gun and then it be  considered a better film overall. It’s always going to be a second generation photocopy nostalgia fest. This is like the bit where they play volleyball! Look he’s riding the same bike wearing the same clothes! It’s a strange postmodern spectacle. I’m not being critical, it’s a remarkable achievement that does what it sets out to do brilliantly.

I think the main advantage that the sequel has is that it was made thirty years later. I recall the original film as being a coke-addled fever dream of amazing imagery, emotional cheap-shots and pretty wonky storytelling; the second one can take all that, and put it into this ruthlessly efficient narrative structure, with nostalgia and the passage of time doing the rest of the hard work.

This is not to undermine how well made the film is, but I don’t think any of the filmmakers have anything in their arsenal that’s as effective as either your own memories of Top Gun, or Val Kilmer’s face. 

One thing I loved about the main action sequence in the third act was…

Spoiler

how it was perfectly choreographed (pretty much) per their training, everything they trained for was as they had practiced.  And then they get out of the crater and the SAM fires and then all hell breaks loose.  It did a really really great job of demonstrating the chaos and the frenzy and the fear of the pilots, I suppose because we as the audience like them hadn’t been able to prepare for this bit at all.

Final Act:

Spoiler

I also enjoyed the slightly comedic tonal shift after Maverick and Rooster are grounded, where it becomes a buddy action movie for ten minutes. Comes close to breaking it, but just manages to stay on the right side and adds to the uplifting ending.

Looked at going to the BFI IMAX this week but all the good seats are booked. Hoping the film hangs around for a few weeks so I can feel the need for speed again.

Recall the Empire Leicester Square being decent as an alternative. Picturehouse Central’s main screen isn’t IMAX but is louder than drum & bass, so could go there and sit in the lower level. Just want to watch that scene again and feel my bones shake.

17 minutes ago, glb said:

Looked at going to the BFI IMAX this week but all the good seats are booked. Hoping the film hangs around for a few weeks so I can feel the need for speed again.

Recall the Empire Leicester Square being decent as an alternative. Picturehouse Central’s main screen isn’t IMAX but is louder than drum & bass, so could go there and sit in the lower level. Just want to watch that scene again and feel my bones shake.

I am hoping Jurassic World doesn’t take away all the big screens, Lightyear will also be IMAX after that.  I will want to see Maverick again.  

This is a perfectly executed take on the heist movie.  From what I understand, Empire/ Cineworld Leicester Sq is the best IMAX now with the laser dual 4k projections though not as big.  Would like to check out 4DX and Screen X as well for the novelty.

6 hours ago, K said:

One other thing. I suspect that I’m onto a loser by even considering asking why something happened in Top Gun Maverick, but

Reveal hidden contents

when going over the top of the ridge and down into the Death Star exhaust vent crater of doom, why did the pilots have to invert? I guess the real answer is “because it looked fucking amazing”, but can fighter jets turn faster when pulling back or something?

Having played all of the ace combats multiple times, I can confirm that inverting and flying upside down like that is necessary a lot of the time in those same circumstances, it’s also easier to make out the ground targets.

What I found impressive was how much the film looked like Ace Combat.

The final mission is pretty much a staple Ace Combat mission in every game :) 

14 hours ago, sprite said:

One thing I loved about the main action sequence in the third act was…

Hide contents

how it was perfectly choreographed (pretty much) per their training, everything they trained for was as they had practiced.  And then they get out of the crater and the SAM fires and then all hell breaks loose.  It did a really really great job of demonstrating the chaos and the frenzy and the fear of the pilots, I suppose because we as the audience like them hadn’t been able to prepare for this bit at all.

I just loved how fast paced and tight it all was.

There was little to no filler. I’d also go as far to say that it’s probably cruises best acting gig.

He really did seem like an older maverick.

The sudden final shifts were handled amazingly. Scenes would go from romantic to comedy to serious within minutes.

I also liked how the mission wasn’t over as soon as the objective was complete.

Getting away was really down to the team. 

It’s really immersive.

I found myself rocking left and right a few times! 

The opening made me giggle at how ridiculous it was and also that it had nothing to do with the story at all apart from having jets flying and landing with Dangerzone playing and dudes high fiving each other :lol:

Like everyone else, I loved this. A superior piece of filmmaking to the original in every respect (with apologies to Tony Scott and, especially, @Graham SS ;)).

The most important thing it did was realise the action should follow from character. It spent oodles of time making you care about the core crew, and made their combat situations all the more intense for it. 

Had a great statement in there about legacy and aging of course but - more importantly - had a straight moral compass. No glorification of war or death (on either side), no casual or gratuitous kills, and a great anti-military stance that says victory comes from knowing when to cooperate and when to trust an individual.

Loads of modern blockbusters feel either Pro-establishment/authoritarian, or Rittenhousingly-libertarian, both of which are childish and sickening if thought about too long. For a piece of fluff this didn't half have a mature and considered viewpoint on honour and sacrifice! 

Yeah I liked how the handled Iran I think it was?

No making them out to be Hollywood terrorists. When the rival pilots were introduced they were treated as threats.

How the US would be the techno underdog in a modern dog fight was kinda silly and waved away with “fifth generation fighters”…that were then taken down by a 1980s era Tomcat because “Tom Cruise” :lol 

22 hours ago, Timbuktu said:

I am hoping Jurassic World doesn’t take away all the big screens, Lightyear will also be IMAX after that.  I will want to see Maverick again.  

This is a perfectly executed take on the heist movie.  From what I understand, Empire/ Cineworld Leicester Sq is the best IMAX now with the laser dual 4k projections though not as big.  Would like to check out 4DX and Screen X as well for the novelty.

Think I’ll take an afternoon off next week to see it again at the Empire in that case. As long as it’s loud don’t mind the screen not being quite as big as the BFI’s.

I saw this yesterday evening, I honestly thought the action sequences were some of the best I think I've ever seen - absolutely phenomenal. 

I don't want to take anything away from it though because whilst I thought it was an extremely elaborate version of the Death Star trench run; the execution of that sequence and all those that preceded it were amazing.

Obviously the overt nods to the original were great for fan service too, but I thought it was an excellent film in its own right. 

Seen this last night on an ISense screed at ODEON.

REALLY enjoyed it. Opening credits made the hairs stand and seemed like a replica of the opening from the first movie.

Flight scenes were amazing and well shot, as already mentioned, really captured the stresses the pilots endure in flight at the limits.

Not very often this happens to me when watching a movie, but I really felt like I was rooting for the main characters in flight and happy to see them succeed. I also raised a smile here and there which is unlike me also. :)

I'm pretty sure the briefing that explains the mission was an explicit nod to the Death Star briefing in Star Wars, even down to the 3D graphic of the base. I thought they even used similar sound effects.

2 hours ago, K said:

I'm pretty sure the briefing that explains the mission was an explicit nod to the Death Star briefing in Star Wars, even down to the 3D graphic of the base. I thought they even used similar sound effects.

For sure. When that scene started it raised a lot of good-natured chuckles from the audience.

I had a really great time with this, probably the only action film since Fury Road where upon being presented with an action sequence after an extended action sequence I was like "hell yes!" as it was just so thrillingly presented. I'm also really impressed that for a film with such a clean visual style it came out looking so good on the big screen. I was half expecting to be a bit disappointed after seeing the digital to film transfer technique used in Dune and The Batman really give extra depth to those films's visuals recently, but I thought this looked really good all in all.

For a film that so closely echoes the original though, I have to say I'm disappointed they basically excised all the homoeroticism of the original!

1 hour ago, Sabreman said:

For sure. When that scene started it raised a lot of good-natured chuckles from the audience.

To make matters worse, when Cruise launches his missiles, there is a quick cut that     looks more or less like the shot from Starwars when the torpedoes go into the deathstar’s exhaust port…they even call it the same thing?

Plus the second set of pilots use the force to blind target the port!