Nintendo Switch

3 hours ago, Orko said:

Despite owning Skyrim on PS3 since release, having the special edition on PC since release and never finishing either...I kinda fancy it on switch. 

Any good?

After BotW I found it a bit frustrating...spending ages trudging round a mountain when I sound have been climbing and glider.

Celeste is ok, the controls are decent and the soundtrack is pretty good. But some of the secrets are a bit too obscure and the platforming soon becomes hard for the sake of being hard, rather than being cleverly designed. 

You know when you played some bastard hard unfair level that someone has made on Mario Maker? It starts to feel like a game composed of those after a while. 

I don't feel that at all. Everything feels perfectly do-able to me. I never look at something and thing "that's clearly impossible." It might take time to nail it, but I can pretty much always see what I'm supposed to be doing to progress.

I'm shit at platformers and finished it. I never got the sense that it's hard for the sake of being hard. It's really well balanced, in fact. You get better and better because your skills and feel for the mechanics improve so quickly, not because your character gains some new skills. That said, your character does get some new skills (!) but it's to add different elements to the gameplay. I wouldn't write it off based on that comment. 

Celeste is magnificent. It is punishingly hard but practice, as ever, makes perfect. 

I picked up Crypt of the Necromancer in the sale and, even though I'm not sure what I'm doing, it is quite brilliant - exploring dungeona by hopping about to the beat is very entertaining indeed. 

Switch really is the best place for the 8 Bit/pixelart aesthetic as, for me,  the small screen is the only place the look works. I'd really rather we all moved on from the retro styling totally but when the games are this good then switch remains the first choice platform by a country mile. 

Arms has not had a look yet...

1 hour ago, VN1X said:

Are there any first-party titles out for April or can I finally get back to my backlog? 

I think April is Labo month, which is probably going to be gigantic. We're just not in the typical demographic for it.

59 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Nah nothing is out. Switch is looking a little threadbare when it comes to quality Nintendo titles since Mario came out. Nothing in the near future either. 

Kirby is actually superb, and so was Xenoblade Chronicles 2. 

Switch has no games?

FB_IMG_1521904095307.thumb.jpg.f188587c290258d22c85df798a2842ac.jpg

FB_IMG_1521904065289.thumb.jpg.dbbf94398a4d8197c3f05599229cb927.jpg

That's my collection, all digital except for Zelda, Mario Rabbids and Splatoon 2 (only thing not showing is Mr Shifty). Things you're not interested in =/= no games. 

I also wish I could arrange the games like that all the time. 

I've gone a bit switch mad this last week, buying all the following :

- Darkest Dungeon

- Steamworld Heist

- Crypt of the Necrodancer 

- Celeste

- Kirby (although that's for my son)

- Stardew Valley

- Tesla vs Lovecraft

- Flinthook 

The crazy thing is, I'm enjoying them all despite the fact the whole indie scene has passed me by and I usually completely avoid "retro" games. Only things I regret buying are Minecraft and Stardew Valley, because I didn't think they'd be my thing and they weren't. Also Sonic Mania, because I dislike Sonic games. 

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

Nah nothing is out.

1 hour ago, ann coulter said:

I think April is Labo month, which is probably going to be gigantic. We're just not in the typical demographic for it.

Yay! This means I may finally start The Witness and Axiom Verge.

8 hours ago, Orko said:

Switch has no games?

FB_IMG_1521904095307.thumb.jpg.f188587c290258d22c85df798a2842ac.jpg

FB_IMG_1521904065289.thumb.jpg.dbbf94398a4d8197c3f05599229cb927.jpg

Also Sonic Mania, because I dislike Sonic games. 

What on earth were you expecting?  Its the most Sonic, sonic game in 20 years and its not as if it was shy about it.

I bought Kirby for the kids too but I've been doing more than a little sneaky play - its really a very pleasant little game

Did anybody time-attack Kamiko when it first came out? I'm down to 23:42 with Yamato (the blue one) and could probably knock a minute off that as I completely forgot where to go on the third stage :D

[edit] just found out from a WR video hat you can scum the timer by dying and continuing for no time penalty but a full health and special bar. Boo. Above time is no-death.

7 hours ago, S0L said:

Kirby is pure distilled digital sunshine. I’ve only played through the first world but I grinned all the way through it :)

Yeah! I completed it yesterday, played through the whole game in co-op. Only 50 odd percent complete so still loads to uncover, in fact the first thing we did after finishing it was go right back to the beginning. Some ace secrets in there btw, and the final boss is visually stunning. One of the best looking games this gen.

1 minute ago, strawdonkey said:

Did anybody time-attack Kamiko when it first came out? I'm down to 23:42 with Yamato (the blue one) and could probably knock a minute off that as I completely forgot where to go on the third stage :D

I've still not started it, but is it a short game then? I am liking the idea of a short game at the moment. 

16 minutes ago, bradigor said:

I've still not started it, but is it a short game then? I am liking the idea of a short game at the moment. 

Yeah - your first run will take about 50 mins. There are three different characters and the longevity comes from speedrunning.

I'm on my sixth run at this point?

40 minutes ago, strawdonkey said:

Yeah - your first run will take about 50 mins. There are three different characters and the longevity comes from speedrunning.

I'm on my sixth run at this point?

My first run was about an hour and a half!

But I've done it in under 30 minutes now.

Recently been having issues with buttons registering on the joy cons. Is this an issue other people have had or have I got some duff controllers?

Looking at buying a pro controller too, is £55 about the average price? 

I grabbed Doom for a smidge under £30, thanks to the gold points bringing it down just enough. 

Hard as nails with the sticks, though. I’ve turned on motion aiming and still can’t hit the broad side of a barn!

8 hours ago, outspaced said:

Did wonder about those borders, seems odd that it would let you do a sub par layout. 

i'm not sure what wide mode does? but there probably should be borders top/bottom, when playing a vertical shmup (usually 4:3) on a rotated widescreen monitor (usually16:9)

12 minutes ago, spatular said:

i'm not sure what wide mode does? but there probably should be borders top/bottom, when playing a vertical shmup (usually 4:3) on a rotated widescreen monitor (usually16:9)

Ever seen a vertical shooter in an arcade?

24 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Okay I'm no shmup man but aren't those always 16:9 on its side rather than 4:3? Ie no borders when rotated? Maybe I'm talking bollocks :D

more modern arcade machines probably use widescreen displays (16:9), for fighting games and other stuff i guess. but vertical shmups are usually 4:3 rotated, played on older arcade machines with 4:3 rotated monitors. the new arcade version of Aka to Blue might be 16:9 rotated.

edit- i'm not sure about danmaku unlimited 3 mind, maybe it is supposed to be 16:9 (no borders) when rotated.