rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

I've got thirty-six top quality video games installed, full price and indie, and my 128gb card is now full. I've finally settled on a truly outstanding balance of titles, though. I couldn't be happier staring at the dash (dashboard). Each game has a great icon, neither cheap looking, nor stylistically clashing. Almost all of the games has a fine title, or at least acceptable to repeat out loud when making a recommendation to a friend, acquaintance or co-worker. Naturally, they're all renowned games, with their pedigree carried on the robust shoulders of metacritic.com, combining a mix of established IPs from the hothouse studios of Japan, Europe and the United States, and the freshest independent titles developed by young innovative minds from around the globe. Every genre is covered from hair-raising horror, ambidextrous arcade action to pate-picking puzzlers. There is a world of pleasure and inspiration beneath my fingertips, the likes of which few humans have ever enjoyed - living, dead or unborn. Whether curled up on the sofa with a mug of cheap wine or wincing through tears as I guide another cack over my hemorrhoids, the Switch has proven a trusty companion, nay, confidant, nay, friend. Amen. 

• Upvote 6

30 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

If you're going to own a Switch you will need to buy an SD card.

I don't see why this is so surprising in an age of 500GB hard drive consoles and enormous patches & DLC.

The difference being that SD cards are super expensive the bigger you go.

Just now, Kirby said:

If it's essential the Switch should either include more internal storage in the first place, or a free SD card. I've never had to buy extra storage for other consoles.

You don't on Switch either but just like other consoles you'll need to delete content when it gets full. Switch games are generally smaller in size than PS4/Xbox though.

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The difference being that SD cards are super expensive the bigger you go.

True. But it’s a price you pay for convenience and portability.

@Kirby You’d rather the Switch was more expensive and had more memory. Say it launched at £349.99, I doubt that would’ve been a better business strategy.

2 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

True. But it’s a price you pay for convenience and portability.

Yeah but also to be fair when you're paying £50 or whatever for a physical cartridge it should at least fit the whole game in it. These aren't additional downloads or updates we're discussing.

2 hours ago, deKay said:

So it looks like the Pokeball Plus controllers are OVER FORTY POUNDS EACH.

I was expecting £20. Maybe £30. With a game/ball set for £60-65.

Thats over NINTY POUNDS for the game and ball. £180 to get both.

Fucking hell.

Well there are no other games coming out so they’ve got to try and make money somehow. 

• Downvote 1

I’ve had to get external storage for both my Xbox One and PS4. 

I’ve added the 16GB card I found in the old Hudl to the Switch until I can afford a

128 minimum. 

I knew it would have to happen at some point but it would be nice if they could sort the bigger cart sizes soon too. 

• Upvote 1

Also internal NAND flash memory is expensive and was stupidly expensive when the switch launch due to a global shortage. They did the best they could for the price they were aiming at. 

2 hours ago, grindmouse said:

If you're going to own a Switch you will need to buy an SD card.

I don't see why this is so surprising in an age of 500GB hard drive consoles and enormous patches & DLC.

I've had a switch since launch with no SD card.

11 minutes ago, JPickford said:

I've had a switch since launch with no SD card.

Well there’s that too. I’ve only just started using mine.

I guess what I’m saying is either way it isn’t a big deal to to buy additional memory if you fill up the internal drive. I’d bet a lot of Starlink players won’t have an SD card and won’t even notice the 15GB download.

22 hours ago, smac said:

Was that Arwing flying backwards? And hopping over beams. And strafing? 

What the hell kind of flight model is that? Nuh-uh. Ah'm oot.

It's one that's super accessible and not the same old flying stuff we've had for years. Bravo, I say.

4 hours ago, deKay said:

So it looks like the Pokeball Plus controllers are OVER FORTY POUNDS EACH.

I was expecting £20. Maybe £30. With a game/ball set for £60-65.

Thats over NINTY POUNDS for the game and ball. £180 to get both.

Fucking hell.

Not available for pre-ordering on Amazon yet. Hoping the gift card I got from work at Christmas will cover the Pokeball Plus. 

I refuse to buy any game that will not run day 1 without an update.

Sadly, many of todays games will be unplayable in 20yrs compared to my beloved SNES and PS1 and 2 era collections

2 minutes ago, probotector said:

I refuse to buy any game that will not run day 1 without an update.

Sadly, many of todays games will be unplayable in 20yrs compared to my beloved SNES and PS1 and 2 era collections

You don't own an Xbox One or PS4 then I take it? Because I can't remember the last time I bought a game for either of those consoles that didn't download a patch as soon as I popped the disc in.

(And let's not forget the mandatory install...)

I do have a PS4 and again, I'm very careful. 

Also, I've found i've probably bought the least amount of games from any generation!

Until the Switch came out of course!

2 minutes ago, rsbrowndog said:

You don't own an Xbox One or PS4 then I take it? Because I can't remember the last time I bought a game for either of those consoles that didn't download a patch as soon as I popped the disc in.

(And let's not forget the mandatory install...)

State of Decay 2 was playable, as their Day One Patch was about 3 weeks late. :lol:

17 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Not available for pre-ordering on Amazon yet. Hoping the gift card I got from work at Christmas will cover the Pokeball Plus. 

According to Base, the RRP is £59.99 just for the ball.

I mean, there is no RRP because Nintendo don't do RRP, but it's likely £59.99 is what the likes of Game are going to charge, if that's the case.

With the game at £49.99 that's £110, not £90.

The ball seems kinda useless really...you can do the same motion with the joys.

Personally...I refuse to condone their buffoonery and further waggle experimentation.

That shit should have died with the Wii brand. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, deKay said:

According to Base, the RRP is £59.99 just for the ball.

I mean, there is no RRP because Nintendo don't do RRP, but it's likely £59.99 is what the likes of Game are going to charge, if that's the case.

With the game at £49.99 that's £110, not £90.

Playing Giratina's advocate here but...don't buy one?  Why would you want one?  Use the JoyCon!   Or press a button!  (If you can...)  Don't spend £59.99 on a bit of plastic that will just bruise your forearm/elbow after 1835 throws.  

Also the only way to get Mew in the game is from the ball which is a bit snidey considering the price. It can be used with Pokemon Go too so I'm sure I'll get plenty of use out of it that way too... maybe. £59.99 though, eesh... 

My son wants the ball along with the game :( but he is really into Pokémon, everything he has is Pokémon related, so I guess it was inevitable. But do I not want to spend £50 on that, especially after that Pokémon Go strap thing we bought him only for him to use twice.

4 hours ago, Kirby said:

If it's essential the Switch should either include more internal storage in the first place, or a free SD card. I've never had to buy extra storage for other consoles.

You have missed loads of great machines then, no PlayStation 1 or 2, no GameCube, Saturn or Dreamcast :o I couldn’t have my Xbone or PS4 without external HDD the same as Switch.

I guess it backs up your odd trolling post style, you don’t even play games!

I only filled up my internal storage this week with Fortnite and Hollow Knight. (Amazing how Fortnite is 12GB on Xbox and 1.8GB on Switch). 

Need to get a memory card in the near future. I think 64GB or 128GB should do me. 

21 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

You have missed loads of great machines then, no PlayStation 1 or 2, no GameCube, Saturn or Dreamcast :o I couldn’t have my Xbone or PS4 without external HDD the same as Switch.

Pff. Real gamers start Skies of Arcadia from scratch every time they play.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, deKay said:

Yeah, but kids don't work like that.

My nephew can barely use a control pad. He thinks you control everything with one hand. I have to put Mario Kart into motion mode for him or he starts crying.

People moan about Millenials...the Wiilenials are going to be something else!

Waggle is ruining gaming 10 years later!

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1