Nintendo Switch

deKay

Since I’m talking about Okami... wonder if someone can answer this. It seems in both Okami and Zelda games (Wind Waker, Breath of the Wild) 100 years is this massive time span... so much so that anything that happened 100 years ago is some kind of ancient legend. Is that a cultural thing that’s lost in translation in these games?

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

Since I’m talking about Okami... wonder if someone can answer this. It seems in both Okami and Zelda games (Wind Waker, Breath of the Wild) 100 years is this massive time span... so much so that anything that happened 100 years ago is some kind of ancient legend. Is that a cultural thing that’s lost in translation in these games?

They are set in medieval style fantasy era's.   Short life times, low literacy so no easy accurate way of recording anything.  I can imagine many events become lost in memory and folklore quite quickly.

In Breath of the Wild, the world is full of long-living Zora who know you and yet even within the Domain you're referred to as some ancient myth. It's only 100 years! It's always struck me as very Star Wars (Jedi rule the galaxy from their massive temple in Space NY> barely remembered/believed to be real just one generation later).

15 hours ago, Purin said:

My right joycon control stick is off wandering on it's own. I've tried the recalibration but it's still knackered.

Do Nintendo fix these things, and how much is it likely to set me back?

Could well be some dust under the little skirt at the base of the stick. Get some compressed air blasted, or blow through the nozzle of a football-size air pump thingy. 

15 hours ago, Purin said:

My right joycon control stick is off wandering on it's own. I've tried the recalibration but it's still knackered.

Do Nintendo fix these things, and how much is it likely to set me back?

Mine is doing the same, it keeps inputting down.

Can someone explain Into the Breach to me, please? I get the TBS gameplay, but it’s when you die (or accidentally choose “restart this timeline” which restarts the game not the mission!) I don’t get it.

I understand you go back in time, and start again, but you can only take one guy back. The other guys are then reset regardless of how upgraded they are. The guy you send back is mostly but not completely reset, so he has a slight advantage next time (but not much). Is that right? If you die, which could be unavoidable as levels are random, you start the whole thing again with a very minor stat boost? Is there no way of retaining upgrades?

Also, there doesn’t seem to be a way to increase your power bar thing unless you spend your stars on it. Have I missed something?

You're mostly right. You should prioritise mech damage over building damage as that is reset after each stage. 

The maps are hand designed but the bugs are random within parameters. 

I don't think it ever creates an unfair scenario, it's your fault if you die. 

49 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

You're mostly right. You should prioritise mech damage over building damage as that is reset after each stage. 

The maps are hand designed but the bugs are random within parameters. 

I don't think it ever creates an unfair scenario, it's your fault if you die. 

It definitely can create unfair scenarios - you have to guess on your first go where you think the enemies will move. Guess wrong and you can be fucked.

Pretty sure the levels are random too - they’re definitely different each game, with different layouts and bonus objectives.

40 minutes ago, deKay said:

Anyway, I’ve completed it now. I don’t see how it’s possible to get most of the abilities and upgrades though, there simply aren’t enough levels to do it.

Watch a guy on YouTube called Vanguard of Valor. He's incredible at it. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Did you like it though @deKay? I really enjoyed it.

I did, yes. I think part of the issue is I went straight into it after Mario + Rabbids and it took a while to rewire my brain to the different rules :)

Does it sound like I have the joycon disconnect issue? 

When playing Mario I'm using split joycons, and every now and again the switch will go to the screen that asks you to hit L and R on the controllers. Is that the disconnect thing, or something else? 

If it is, is there a kit I can buy with the bit of foam and the screwdriver? 

Sold my PS4 Pro as it was collecting dust and gone a bit mad with the money on Switch games, so far this year I have brought the following :-

New Super Mario Deluxe

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Kirby : Star Allies

Dead Cells

Dragon Quest Builders

Bomberman

Moonlighter

Yoshi(preorder)

The Time at Portia(preorder)

Need to find time to play them all now though!

22 hours ago, jimmbob said:

Does it sound like I have the joycon disconnect issue? 

When playing Mario I'm using split joycons, and every now and again the switch will go to the screen that asks you to hit L and R on the controllers. Is that the disconnect thing, or something else? 

If it is, is there a kit I can buy with the bit of foam and the screwdriver? 

Could be too far away from the Switch. If it's behind the telly or something.

9 hours ago, DarkCrisis said:

Sold my PS4 Pro as it was collecting dust and gone a bit mad with the money on Switch games, so far this year I have brought the following :-

New Super Mario Deluxe

Dead Cells

Dragon Quest Builders

Bomberman

Moonlighter

Yoshi(preorder)

That's a nice selection, Mario and Kirby are superb multiplayer games too, Kirby especially if you have younger children. 

I'm playing Yoku's Island Express at the moment - would fit in nicely with that collection; lovely art style.

Although I am now going to have to buy a proper pinball game as a result. Still, Tate mode on the Switch should be easy enough. If I also buy the right grip...

Feck, this is getting expensive.

1 hour ago, joe bazooka said:

Could be too far away from the Switch. If it's behind the telly or something.

Thanks, yeah it might be that, though I don't think I'm particularly far away. I will do some more research. The left joycon hasn't been dropping out completely, which I believe is the main problem. I will see how it goes over the next few days before I go at it with a screwdriver!

11 hours ago, DarkCrisis said:

New Super Mario Deluxe

Dead Cells

Dragon Quest Builders

Bomberman

Moonlighter

Yoshi(preorder)

You need to find time to pop to the shops and grab Zelda :).  

3 hours ago, smac said:

Although I am now going to have to buy a proper pinball game as a result. Still, Tate mode on the Switch should be easy enough. If I also buy the right grip...

Feck, this is getting expensive.

Flip Grip is your friend!!

Fairly priced, superbly executed and delightfully presented, I bloody love mine :)!!