IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

15 minutes ago, deKay said:

The original Outrun was never licensed. Outrun 2 always was.

Ah I see. It might not be considered a worthy return on investment, but surely they could scrub the license from the game and modify the car designs so as not to make them too infringe-y. As per my earlier comments Sega have pedigree in doing this with Sega Racing Classic, which as I finally rediscovered, is the name of the licensesless Daytona USA rereleased in arcades some years ago. 

12 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I still have a 360 for Daytona and Outrun, man I hope they come out on Switch. I used G2a to be the yen cards for Virtua Racing 

I mean just look at it :wub:

File%2002-05-2019,%2020%2011%2015.jpeg?r

It's the draw distance, that's better than even the arcade.

10 hours ago, MidWalian said:

Same here. Is it just down to the ferrari licence? 

Pretty much.

14 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

According to the DF video, you can sort the Red by changing the car colour from Red, to Black and back again :)

Yeah I saw that. Kind of gives me hope that the colour oddities are perhaps some sort of a glitch / error that will get sorted.  

Anyone had any issues with Micro SD cards? My Switch was working fine, I put a Kingston Micro SD card in and started getting an error message every time I played Mario Kart undocked.

I don't think it was the Micro SD card, but the timing did line up.

Had to send the Switch back, and just taken delivery of the replacement, but now paranoid about putting the same SD card in.

8 hours ago, Popo said:

The currently available Outrun on Switch has no license, perhaps there’s another issue with Outrun 2?

There's usually a simple answer to the reason most games don't get re-releases, something to do with lack of ROI usually.

If OutRun 2 had been a huge commercial hit, they'd have made a sequel by now, it came out over 15 year ago! They've released a remake and a sequel to Daytona USA in that time, not to mention multiple sequels to Initial D, which are both licensed games.

1 hour ago, Butters said:

Anyone had any issues with Micro SD cards? My Switch was working fine, I put a Kingston Micro SD card in and started getting an error message every time I played Mario Kart undocked.

I don't think it was the Micro SD card, but the timing did line up.

Had to send the Switch back, and just taken delivery of the replacement, but now paranoid about putting the same SD card in.

My first Switch had a faulty SD reader. It's actually a very easy to replace part (I did it myself with a part off ebay), but probably best you got it done under warranty. I'd imagine you had the same issue, I wouldn't be concerned about using the same SD card.

Brill, thanks @SozzlyJoe. I bought the card specifically to use with the Switch, so was going to be a bit of a pain in the behind if I couldn't.

Did your faulty reader just not read the SD card, or did you have any error message that closed a game?

Just now, Butters said:

Brill, thanks @SozzlyJoe. I bought the card specifically to use with the Switch, so was going to be a bit of a pain in the behind if I couldn't.

Did your faulty reader just not read the SD card, or did you have any error message that closed a game?

The latter I guess - when I tried to load a game that was on the SD card, it gave an error and wouldn't start the game. I could reinsert the card and that would sometimes fix it, but it got worse over time.

Sounds like much the same as what I was happening. It's my first Nintendo console since the N64 (not including the handhelds - had a GBA and DS), and I was really getting back into it. Pain in the behind to have to send it back!

The colour reproduction on Virtua Racing is very odd. When I first saw it on df retro I thought it must be some video issue their end. It's quite off putting really as it doesn't pack the visual punch of the originals more bold contrast. Hope they release a patch for the Euro release. Have M2 responded to it?

16 hours ago, mushashi said:

There's usually a simple answer to the reason most games don't get re-releases, something to do with lack of ROI usually.

If OutRun 2 had been a huge commercial hit, they'd have made a sequel by now, it came out over 15 year ago! They've released a remake and a sequel to Daytona USA in that time, not to mention multiple sequels to Initial D, which are both licensed games.

Yeah licences don't make it impossible, they just increase how much I you need to R.

I’m actually enjoying Outrun for the first time ever, despite having owned it in one form or another many times over the years. The option to increase the timer has really opened the game up - no longer am I getting game over at stage 2!

As a result, I’m getting to grips with the handling, how and when to break and crashing much less frequently. It’s great fun!

Is it really possible to reduce the timer to the shortest setting and make it to the end? :lol:

59 minutes ago, Popo said:

I’m actually enjoying Outrun for the first time ever, despite having owned it in one form or another many times over the years. The option to increase the timer has really opened the game up - no longer am I getting game over at stage 2!

As a result, I’m getting to grips with the handling, how and when to break and crashing much less frequently. It’s great fun!

Is it really possible to reduce the timer to the shortest setting and make it to the end? :lol:

I doubt it. Got to eat them 20ps and keep people at the cabinet :p

Anyone have a screen protector they'd recommend? I have a hairline scratch on my switch (probably just from some grit that's got in between the dock and the console), and I think putting a screen protector on would both hide this and prevent any more from forming. Ideally not one of those glass ones. Just a basic garden variety plastic film, but not where the cutouts are horribly misaligned.

This looks like it might do the trick:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iVoler-Nintendo-Switch-Protector-Tempered-Clear/dp/B07H2KQQQ1/

Actually no, that is "tempered glass" too. Odd that it's seems much easier to find this kind vs the ordinary plastic film types typically used with phones.

Oh and I just received my Joy-Cons after sending them from repair. Mine were from the first batch where the left one has input delay issues, which made playing some of the harder levels on Mario Odyssey pretty much impossible. But I use the Switch so little I forgot to send them in until my warranty had almost run out. After the repair people saying it was an "operating system problem" and trying to charge me £29, I think I've received new ones back? Or at least refurbs. They're completely discharged which is why I think they're different controllers - the letter with them gives no hint as to what's been done (apparently it was an "operating system problem" which was "rectified by replacing parts"). Also got a new 12 month warranty on them.

18 minutes ago, Liamness said:

Anyone have a screen protector they'd recommend? I have a hairline scratch on my switch (probably just from some grit that's got in between the dock and the console), and I think putting a screen protector on would both hide this and prevent any more from forming. Ideally not one of those glass ones. Just a basic garden variety plastic film, but not where the cutouts are horribly misaligned.

This looks like it might do the trick:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iVoler-Nintendo-Switch-Protector-Tempered-Clear/dp/B07H2KQQQ1/

Oh and I just received my Joy-Cons after sending them from repair. Mine were from the first batch where the left one has input delay issues, which made playing some of the harder levels on Mario Odyssey pretty much impossible. But I use the Switch so little I forgot to send them in until my warranty had almost run out. After the repair people saying it was an "operating system problem" and trying to charge me £29, I think I've received new ones back? Or at least refurbs. They're completely discharged which is why I think they're different controllers - the letter with them gives no hint as to what's been done (apparently it was an "operating system problem" which was "rectified by replacing parts"). Also got a new 12 month warranty on them.

On my in warranty repair they are doing at the moment, the online tracking says ‘status: new serial number’ which to me means it’s a replacement. Whether it’s a new or a refurbed one I won’t know until it arrives. I would prefer a new one but realistically I suppose they need to do something with all the joycons they have had sent back.

Outrun isn't a 3d world so it might be somewhat trickier, everything there is only designed to be viewed from one direction.

Stereoscopic non-head tracking Outrun? We had that 30 years ago.

image.png.3faed763a767599b5c776740ca2ea98e.png

If you can dig out some red-green glasses, you can actually play it in 3d in an SMS emu.

VR of course would be entirely compatible with such things, even the name!

5 hours ago, shirubagan said:

God damn it. 

:( 

8867BDA9-D3E7-4527-B543-775EA7A76DA3.thumb.jpeg.35a50b32ebd16b343721d8ef14188b15.jpeg

Just noticed on mine 3 of the 4 'prongs' which are normally there have snapped at one end, don't look very strong, wonder if just from handling on my part, or someone else's part.

Had a bunch of coin credit things so bought Cook Serve Delicious 2 for a fiver. 

Fuck me. Playing this is what I imagine my Mum felt playing Mario Kart with my kids. Just a genuine feeling of utter ineptitude. And this is on the first level.