IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

2 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Will they allow this unit to run at a higher clock speed so those games that don't run as well as docked get a bit of a performance boost?

this is the question I was going to ask.

Just now, Stanley said:

But not price, crucially.

I see no reason why it can't use a dock, seems like a bizarre decision.

It does, I guess perhaps the smaller size means it wouldn't fit existing docks, and they don't want to make a new one? Also saved a few pennies taking out the relevant components, no doubt.

2 minutes ago, BBBBBB said:

Does Mario Odyssey require motion controls (flicking stuff)? What will happen with this?

It doesn't require them. You can still use the joypad, but i believe the motion controls are better in a way (a lot of speedrunners tend to use motion for this reason).

I'm surprised nothing has been said about the onboard memory - assuming it's 32GB again - there is a SD Card slot on the back of the unit lite though.

2 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

It does, I guess perhaps the smaller size means it wouldn't fit existing docks, and they don't want to make a new one? Also saved a few pennies taking out the relevant components, no doubt.

I'm sure they save a bit of cash removing the hdmi / output components. I am surprised that it doesn't have output via USBC or even screen mirroring though.

1 minute ago, Darhkwing said:

I'm sure they save a bit of cash removing the hdmi / output components. I am surprised that it doesn't have output via USBC or even screen mirroring though.

Because the games would - for most people - look shit. You’d be playing the handheld mode version on a big tv.

6 minutes ago, BBBBBB said:

Does Mario Odyssey require motion controls (flicking stuff)? What will happen with this?

Be interesting to find out. I remember at least one moon (in the desert level) requires flicking the joycon after taking control of a bullet bill, otherwise you can't make it far enough before you lose control.

Just now, imp said:

Be interesting to find out. I remember at least one moon (in the desert level) requires flicking the joycon after taking control of a bullet bill, otherwise you can't make it far enough before you lose control.

Everything is possible with a pad. I played practically the entire thing with a pro pad.

Good to see Nintendo have at least learned a bit of forward thinking as far as their control methods go. I remember being astounded when I couldn't use the Wii U pro controller on NSMBU.

(EDIT: this is in ref to the fact Odyssey has a fall back to non-motion controls)

2 hours ago, smac said:

Quick: someone get @TehStu up to 88MPH...

:)

Yeah, the form factor really is genius. My lad has taken to playing with the Switch on the coffee table propped up by the stand, like a mini TV. Even when the big TV isn't in use. Takes all sorts, but then that's the beauty of it.

13 minutes ago, BBBBBB said:

It does, yes. Some moons can't be collected without the "jump slightly higher" waggle move.

1 minute ago, SozzlyJoe said:

What's the betting it uses the exact same battery, and the paltry gains are simply due to the smaller screen?

You can not change the brightness either , so probably will be less bright than the switch on the highest setting - saving a bit of battery.

3 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Everything is possible with a pad. I played practically the entire thing with a pro pad.

Looking into it, there's actually a few moons that are designed to be collected via motion controls. There are finnicky work arounds, but I doubt that's acceptable by Nintendo standards.

8 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Can you use the same account across switches?

16 minutes ago, deKay said:

Not quite.

I can get a digital version of a game and install it on my Switch and my daughter's hypothetical Switch. However, she can only use it using my profile on her Switch (not her own), and if she's doing that I can't play it on my Switch at the same time.

So what I'm saying is, we need to buy two copies of Animal Crossing.