IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

1 hour ago, NEG said:

There hasn't been new joy con design/colours since Jan 2018, and no special edition consoles since around that time either.The writing is on the wall for Nintendo's interest in the old model for a while now.

Sometimes I do wonder if you have access to the Internet, but then I realize you wouldn't be able to post here without it.

Some seriously odd opinions here. This is just the first expansion of the Switch hardware. They’ve stated Switch is a platform. They’ve updated the normal Switch and the strong rumours still suggest some sort of Pro model next year (Probably a good idea before the next gen consoles launch). This is nothing like the 3DS getting the 2DS late in its life cycle where they knew the platform was winding down. 

1 minute ago, Cheyenne said:

There was also the Smash Bros Ultimate Switch Console too. They generally seem to do them for their biggest franchises, wouldn't be surprised if something is announced for Pokemon Sword & Shield later this year..

They've already announced a special edition Switch Lite for Pokémon Sword & Shield.

On 06/07/2019 at 10:17, Blunted said:

I think it was @bradigor who mentioned the cheap pro-alike pads on AliExpress, got one in the post this morning (because I couldn't justify £60 for a pad right now considering how much I've spent on games in the last month or two) and it's surprisingly good! Reassuringly weighty.

Cheers for the heads up.

Just jumped on this bandwagon. Hoping it arrives in the 2-3 weeks you've experienced.

Small PSA: When I tried to order one, Aliexpress had sneakily tried to bump my order up to 4 units.. Had to switch  to 'full page' payment, and reduce the number in my basket.

28 minutes ago, CBT said:

Just jumped on this bandwagon. Hoping it arrives in the 2-3 weeks you've experienced.

Small PSA: When I tried to order one, Aliexpress had sneakily tried to bump my order up to 4 units.. Had to switch  to 'full page' payment, and reduce the number in my basket.

Wish I'd read this as I just got a pro controller a few days back.

Its a lovely piece of kit though...although the Nintendo tax is a bit annoying... :) 

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

The 3DS was barely older than the Switch is now when the 2DS came out.

Yeah the first chunky 2DS which was aimed squarely at children, the New 2DS which became the standard model instead of the 3D one only came out last year.

The New 3DS which came out a couple of years after the first 2DS even improved the 3D using eye tracking, so they'd hardly abandoned it.

But let's be honest anyway, the 3D added nothing mechanically game play wise, all the games play exactly the same in 2D or 3D. 

They're highly praised and the Switch is loved for its primary on/off TV function. No way are they moving on from that just because they're making a cheaper handheld-only version because the 3DS price-point has finally dried up for them. 

I mystified where the data that around 70% of people use the console both docked and handheld has translated into thinking that means they are going to phase out the console's primary selling point.

But I'm excited that they've figured out how to combine them. I can't play handheld for long, for various reasons, but now they'll hopefully go gangbusters bringing those previously handheld- only experiences to traditional console players.

I seem to remember before the Eurogamer switch scoop there was a rumour that the next Nintendo consoles would be a handheld console and a home console that both played the same games, so this is very tenuously a step towards that.

The next step of course would be a Switch Pro which isn't portable.

6 hours ago, Cheyenne said:

Oh bloody hell I already forgot about that! But I wonder if there would also be something for the regular model, given this whole nonsense NEG has put forward of them not releasing new styles and edition since early 2018.

No new Joycons was the Jan 2018 marker. Bundle Joycons you can't buy alone doesn't count. Late 2019 for the Switch bundles itself, bar Dragon Quest Builders 2 bundle that's only in Japan.

15 minutes ago, NEG said:

No new Joycons was the Jan 2018 marker. Bundle Joycons you can't buy alone doesn't count. Late 2019 for the Switch bundles itself, bar Dragon Quest Builders 2 bundle that's only in Japan.

So Nintendo don't have anything excluding all these arbitrary conditions you've added. Gotcha. 

1 hour ago, wretcherd said:

I seem to remember before the Eurogamer switch scoop there was a rumour that the next Nintendo consoles would be a handheld console and a home console that both played the same games, so this is very tenuously a step towards that.

The next step of course would be a Switch Pro which isn't portable.

What? The original Switch is literally this. It's a handheld and a home console and it plays the same games.