rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, yashiro said:

With a third party charge stand that you buy from Amazon/Argos.

:doh:of course. 

I don't know really, if it's £180 I might bite, but having to explain to my daughter that her Switch won't work on the telly might be an issue.

5 minutes ago, Darren said:

Are people really wondering why the cheaper portable-only version won't play on TVs?

Yeah, seeing as it's the Switch's USP.

2 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

If you have a game on a cart are the saves stored on the Switch? So if you put the cart in your Lite (same account) you'd not be able to access the saves?

Saves are stored on the switch console not the cart. I hope they get some sort of cloud saving system on the go to get round this and multiple consoles.

1 minute ago, Flockheart said:

Saves are stored on the switch console not the cart. I hope they get some sort of cloud saving system on the go to get round this and multiple consoles.

That's what I thought. Switch Online does have cloud saves though. If I knew I could chop and change between devices I'd be tempted.

9 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah, seeing as it's the Switch's USP.

Yes this is absolutely baffling. All they would need is to sell an accessory cable "dock" like many third parties are already doing. Then you just plug into that and game using a separate controller. It's the difference between me being completely up for this, day one, inject it into my veins etc vs being completely disinterested. I've always found the switch a bit unwieldy for portable gaming and this looks like it would completely fix that. But I also play it most often on the couch, connected to a TV.

I don't even understand the limitation - it seems artificial, purely to differentiate the products. If this new version is capable of playing the same games in handheld mode, then it must be capable of playing them in docked mode too - it seems to have the same vents and fan setup. Just needs the video out and a beefy enough USB-C power supply surely?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rex Grossman said:

That's what I thought. Switch Online does have cloud saves though. If I knew I could chop and change between devices I'd be tempted.

That not all games support cloud saves is absurd, given the Lite is a good choice for a second Switch. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

I was going to get one for my middle daughter but not at £200. We've got two already so she can borrow mine.

What did you expect? 99 quid?

• Empathy 1

I'm hoping upcoming games will have a bespoke handheld mode control scheme when needed (or just when better because some thought has gone into it - e.g utilising the touch screen for a Zelda map or inventory like Wind Waker HD), original Switch owners benefiting too. 

I can't find any info on the actual size compared to the original Switch. From the trailer it didn't look that much smaller.

Other than the actual Dpad, there's little to tempt me so far, especially disappointed with the battery.

30 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Everything is possible with a pad. I played practically the entire thing with a pro pad.

So did I, and needed the Pro Pad's motion controls for the extra high jump.

24 minutes ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

I must have missed this along with a bunch of other people. 

Cnet are quoting Doug Bowser as saying that.

14 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

Unless you want to play Animal Crossing or Splatoon 2 or Pokemon.

10 minutes ago, TehStu said:

That not all games support cloud saves is absurd, given the Lite is a good choice for a second Switch. 

Not supporting free syncing of saves, or at least a way of doing it offline yourself, is absurd. I would wager a lot of people will get this and immediately want to transfer their existing saves, and be upset when they find out the only way is to pay for the online service. It's been a while since a major player released a new version of a console, without offering an easy way to transfer games / saves / data etc across, isn't it?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

In our house we'd definitely want to so that with AC and Pokemon.

Well you'd be fucked then. No cloud saves for those games, so they're stuck on one device.

Just now, deKay said:

Well you'd be fucked then. No cloud saves for those games, so they're stuck on one device.

Yeah, which makes this device pointless for a large chunk of households who would otherwise be prepared to own multiples Switches.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Coolcongo said:

hoping you can own both and play one when out and about and leave the main switch as the docked one.

Yes, but you won't be able to use your digital games, or cloud saves, if the portable one isn't your primary console. To play digital games on your second console you need it to be connected to the internet.

Just now, Rex Grossman said:

Yeah, which makes this device pointless for a large chunk of households who would otherwise be prepared to own multiples Switches.

Well, maybe. I'd not want to use more than one Switch. A second one would be for my daughter, so wouldn't affect me. Would you want to be able to play one more than one yourself?

1 minute ago, deKay said:

Old stats, but explains the decisions:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-31-nintendo-switch-owners-play-slightly-more-in-handheld-mode-than-on-tv

1.png

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a large number of the people in the middle who would forgo the TV aspect in order to save £100 too.

I would argue 70% of people wanting to play docked or both modes doesn't justify a portable only console.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, deKay said:

Well that's the potentially great thing about the Switch - it's a platform, not a single console. You can have the expensive do-everything very, and then cheaper variants that don't. It's just surprising that this can't connect to a TV because I can't think of a technical reason why this would be. I mean... how hard would it have been to switch the USB-C port to the top, and let you game on a TV, using the controls on the console itself, with just a single cable?

I only ever play my Switch in handheld mode these days, and never disconnect the joycons. I also disable the HD rumble in most games, because it's implemented horribly. The Lite looks gorgeous, and I'd definitely get a yellow one if it had Bluetooth audio and a better screen (OLED?), but as it clearly has none of these things there's no real reason for me to get one. I think if my Switch had a 5.5" screen I'd be more inclined to connect it to the TV too, so that's an odd little quirk of this model.

It's going to be huge at Christmas.

1 minute ago, deKay said:

Well, maybe. I'd not want to use more than one Switch. A second one would be for my daughter, so wouldn't affect me. Would you want to be able to play one more than one yourself?

No but my daughter would want to be able to pick up her Mario Maker levels, AC town, Crafted World progress on the handheld when I've got the Switch with me or if I'm out of the country.