rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Coolcongo said:

that should mean you can make your primary the switch lite  and the normal switch secondary and play games on both system. the only thing that needs sorted is save data then 

Yep. That’s what I was thinking of doing.

I do that to share my Mario Kart 8 with my wife’s niece and nephew. Works mostly fine so long as you don’t both want to play at the same time. Or if you’re playing locally, just disconnect from Wi-fi on the primary console. 

37 minutes ago, Dudley said:

For now.

What do you base this conjecture on? Making the Switch Lite THE Switch is a massive change, as compared merely giving people a handheld option. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Dudley said:

Trouble is, the 2DS is now the only 3DS. The worry is that it goes the same way.

How many iterations did 3DS go through before that though, six? 

Switch is flying off shelves and must be approaching 40 million sold by now, it'll be the dominant model for some time to come which is why Nintendo are now referring to it as the 'flagship' version.

So I wouldn't worry, Switch Lite is a cost cutting exercise to sell more Switch's to more people, families owning multiple devices etc. rather than just the traditional one per household typical of most home consoles.

They'll no doubt upgrade the standard model at some point as well in order to carry on driving sales there, but there's no way they'll just now give up their presence in the living room with the success of Switch, or give up a reason for customers to choose to spend more on extra joycons, pro controllers and the like.

If anything I can see them bringing out a TV only version at some point too.

I mean, wasn't this always their vision?

• Upvote 4

There’s a demo of Songbird Symphony on the eShop at the moment. It seemed like a cute little thing - platformy arcade adventure with rhythm action bits.

9 hours ago, TehStu said:

What do you base this conjecture on? Making the Switch Lite THE Switch is a massive change, as compared merely giving people a handheld option. 

I base it on the fact they made a 2DS and then discontinued the 3DS.   And historically slim versions of consoles, even if they have fewer features, always become the default and only choice.   The Playstation 3 being an immediate example that leaps to mind.

58 minutes ago, Stanley said:

How many iterations did 3DS go through before that though, six? 

After the 2DS was released? One, the "new" 3DS and XL.

I hope it won't happen but history very much implies it will.  Certainly if this sells there will be much less incentive for devs to put in support for seperate joycon play or stand based multiplayer.

Or indeed motion controls at all.

• Downvote 3

18 minutes ago, Dudley said:

After the 2DS was released? One, the "new" 3DS and XL.

I hope it won't happen but history very much implies it will.  Certainly if this sells there will be much less incentive for devs to put in support for seperate joycon play or stand based multiplayer.

Or indeed motion controls at all.

So we had 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS chunky, New 3DS, New 3DS XL and then New 2DSXL 

3D media, generally, died on its arse and only exists in cinemas now, no one cares about it.

History has never seen a console like Switch before, and I don't think they'll just abandon the TV part of it as they stand to gain nothing in doing so.

I like the look of the Lite but it would never replace my Switch as my main console.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Stanshall said:

Hahaha this is S-Rank scaremongering. Love it! Completely insane. 

There hasn't been new joy con design/colours since Jan 2018, and no special edition consoles since around that time either.The writing is on the wall for Nintendo's interest in the old model for a while now.

• Downvote 4

15 minutes ago, Stanley said:

History has never seen a console like Switch before, and I don't think they'll just abandon the TV part of it as they stand to gain nothing in doing so.

Sega Nomad?

16 minutes ago, NEG said:

There hasn't been new joy con design/colours since Jan 2018, and no special edition consoles since around that time either.The writing is on the wall for Nintendo's interest in the old model for a while now.

nintendoswitch-dragon-quest-xi-s-roto-edition-jun112019.jpg

• Upvote 4

Just had a look on Amazon for the lite and notice it’s unavailable. Has it already been available for actually preordering and if so I wonder if the people who have, know about being charged upfront?

I just know my daughter will want a yellow one for Christmas so she doesn’t have to use mine to play Zelda. She’s excited about Animal Crossing next year so this would be ideal for her. She rarely plays the Switch docked so no issues there.

16 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

Just had a look on Amazon for the lite and notice it’s unavailable. Has it already been available for actually preordering

It was up for preorder, yes.

57 minutes ago, NEG said:

They've just submitted some request for a new revision of the proper Switch model. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

Just had a look on Amazon for the lite and notice it’s unavailable. Has it already been available for actually preordering and if so I wonder if the people who have, know about being charged upfront?

I think they have reverted to not charging for pre orders.

1 hour ago, NEG said:

download.jpg.8098717f04d5146fb34e176ece59294b.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Nequests said:

download.jpg.8098717f04d5146fb34e176ece59294b.jpg

I am sure when they got released Nintendo said they would sell the dock and joy cons separate. but can not find them anywhere  

1 hour ago, NEG said:

Sometimes I do wonder if you have access to the Internet, but then I realize you wouldn't be able to post here without it.

Some seriously odd opinions here. This is just the first expansion of the Switch hardware. They’ve stated Switch is a platform. They’ve updated the normal Switch and the strong rumours still suggest some sort of Pro model next year (Probably a good idea before the next gen consoles launch). This is nothing like the 3DS getting the 2DS late in its life cycle where they knew the platform was winding down. 

• Upvote 3