Nintendo Switch

deKay

26 minutes ago, deKay said:

No - just press power and it goes off (well, standby), then press it on again. You'll be at the "press the same button three times" screen, tap the screen three times and you'll be on the home screen.

I tried that, & it brought me straight back into Puzzle Quest.  I thought maybe I'd done it wrong however, so I just tried it again & it got me back to the Home Menu with the software suspended.  I then tried it a third & fourth time & I could only get right back to Puzzle Quest. :wacko:

I have found a way around it however.  If I tap on 'Featured News' & then tap 'B' I can get back to the Home Screen.

There he goes with the old “Loookey here, I’m Mister Big Bollocks with my free Mario hat!” But will he put it on and share that sweet feeling of joyful exuberance with the rest of the forum? Will he fuck!

If you look silly in a hat far too small for you, THAT JUST MAKES US WANT TO SEE IT ALL THE MORE.

27 minutes ago, strider said:

I picked up a Lite because it comes with a free Zelda in Currys. I assumed the cloud saves were automatic like on Xbox but you have to remember to download the save when you want to switch (ho ho) systems. What a faff.

That was my reaction.  For a system where one of the selling points is that you might buy this version for use on the go but use the other version on your TV at home the fact that they do not automatically sync saves is a bit of a mystery. 

Despite that I quite like the look of the Switch Lite but cannot justify buying one.  The original switch is still fine when travelling and I may as well use it until it either gives up or there is a cracking deal on the Lite. 

39 minutes ago, McCoy said:

For a system where one of the selling points is that you might buy this version for use on the go but use the other version on your TV at home

I think the idea is, if you're going to do both you buy the standard model, not a standard model AND a lite. The Lite is aimed at people that want a handheld only - because if not, just use the standard one....

33 minutes ago, merrychan said:

What are folk doing when going from an OG Switch to a Lite?...Is it a case of just placing the OG Switch memory card in the Lite and it prompts you to log in and....maybe with the options to wirelessly transfer files from the other switch?

You have to do a system transfer from the settings.

26 minutes ago, bum said:

Why the fuck does PlayAsia stuff take so long to arrive?  My Panty Party Collector's Edition was supposedly sent a week ago.  No sign of it!

Because it's half way round the world and then sits in customs here for up to a month while they decide what to do with it.

14 minutes ago, Gloomy Andy said:

Yeah this is what I don't get with people saying they're getting a Lite for when they want to play handheld/out and about.

Has they all forgotten that's what a switch does?

The lite isn't even that much smaller. 

What am I missing?

Is it just consumerism gone mad?

Edit @rgraves

Everyone has their reasons, but I've bought a Lite today and am keeping my original Switch.  One reason is that I like to travel light, and it's not that much smaller, but it's definitely smaller and lighter and that makes a difference.  Hands on reviews suggested it was more comfortable for handheld play, and from a quick play earlier I think that's right (plus it has a proper D-Pad!)

I want to keep the original Switch as it's great for playing Mario Kart on the TV and other multiplayer games with the family.

So yeah... it's a bit of a luxury for sure, but it's my main gaming device and feels like it's worth it to me (I may even sell my PS4 Pro as it doesn't get a look in these days with all the great Switch games coming out)

1 hour ago, Bushtopher said:

Everyone has their reasons, but I've bought a Lite today and am keeping my original Switch.  One reason is that I like to travel light, and it's not that much smaller, but it's definitely smaller and lighter and that makes a difference.  Hands on reviews suggested it was more comfortable for handheld play, and from a quick play earlier I think that's right (plus it has a proper D-Pad!)

I want to keep the original Switch as it's great for playing Mario Kart on the TV and other multiplayer games with the family.

So yeah... it's a bit of a luxury for sure, but it's my main gaming device and feels like it's worth it to me (I may even sell my PS4 Pro as it doesn't get a look in these days with all the great Switch games coming out)

Whilst I won't be buying for the time being, there are pretty much why I would potentially but a Lite.  Equally, if it connected to the TV I think it would be a pretty good upgrade of the original - better as a portable but also does the TV out. For me it just looks more comfortable to hold but it is definitely not a required addition/upgrade, although I look forward to trying one in the flesh to see exactly what it is like to hold.

I've done a bit of travel recently and I have my switch and satisfye grip which makes it amazingly comfortable to use on the move.  Once you've got the grip on and put it in a carry case you do notice it takes up a fair amount of your bag. I guess what I'd really like if a Switch which is a bit smaller, but also a bit comfier to hold.  Original Switch plus Grip is great, but pretty chunky at the end of the day. 

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Potentially stupid question: I'm trying to back up my 64gb Switch SD card and install a 200gb one but windows wants to format it and won't let me read it. What am I doing wrong?

Try sticking it in the Switch first and let it format the card the way it likes it. After that you should be able to copy everything from Windows.

3 hours ago, Mogster said:

Try sticking it in the Switch first and let it format the card the way it likes it. After that you should be able to copy everything from Windows.

His problem is he can't get the stuff off his current 64GB Switch card because Windows wants to format it.

11 hours ago, deKay said:

His problem is he can't get the stuff off his current 64GB Switch card because Windows wants to format it.

@Mogster yeah sorry I wasn't very clear. In the end I just moved all my screenshots to the system and redownloaded shit. DeKay put forward my card readers can't read newer micro sds as they're both ancient which is probably the case.