Nintendo Switch

deKay

I often think about that video Nintendo showed about the introduction of Cloud Saves where Luigi has his Switch crushed by a Thwomp & the implication is that if only he had had cloud backup then he could have restored his data, but that's actually wrong isn't it?  If your Switch is lost or destroyed, then it's not your save data you've lost, but your account, as the account is tied to the console & you can't just get another Switch & reload everything like you could on PSN.

Or have I misunderstood? :unsure:

2 minutes ago, Gord said:

You've misunderstood. You can register another console and link to.your account and download your saves from the cloud.

That's a relief.  I have a lot of games stored in my Switch, & the more I get I more I worry about it being lost or broken whenever I take it away from home.

1 minute ago, Gord said:

I've got my original and lite linked to the same account and downloaded games from the eshop and transferred save games across easily.

But what happens if you only have one device?  If that gets lost or broken, can you retrieve the account on a new Switch without having linked it first?

It's like all the offers that were around about trading in your Original Switch against the Improved Version or the Lite.  Don't you need to have both consoles in order to do either a System Transfer or to link the devices to the same account?

17 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Can you play ocarina of time on this?

You can play:

Zelda 1

Zelda 2

Link To The Past

Links Awakening (Remake)

Breath of the Wild

Cadence of Hyrule

Hyrule Warriors

It's got a long way to go to equal the number of Zelda games you could play on the WiiU or 3DS. It's getting there, though. 

14 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

@Mogster yeah sorry I wasn't very clear. In the end I just moved all my screenshots to the system and redownloaded shit. DeKay put forward my card readers can't read newer micro sds as they're both ancient which is probably the case.

Next time run Win32DiskImager. Cancel the message about Windows wanting to format the card and let that program take an image instead.

7 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Oh, hacking is an option is it?

Do they have something similar to the R4 carts you used to get on the DS?

No idea. I just know it can be done. A few people on here have done it.

I don’t think I’ve ever completed Super Metroid. Got stuck or something, but was having a whale of a time with it back on Wii. 

At the moment I’m playing LttP. I don’t think I ever made it out of the castle the first time I tried to play it, but I just made it to Kakariko really like what I’ve seen so far. I love the rewind feature. I want to see what the fuss is all all out but I don’t think dying in a basement full of bloody snakes is integral to what made the game so special so am happy to cheese my way through bits like that. 

I’m sure some of the Link’s Awakening hype is helping, too. 

Am I right in thinking 4:3 is how it’s supposed to be played, rather than pixel perfect?

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

Super Metroid cleared for the first time.

25 years LTTP.

09:20 66%

What a game. Incredible OST.

An all-timer.

Super Metroid is still unmatched in gaming history in terms of telling a story without any dialogue or text (beyond the intro). And its sound design is as good as it gets in 2D gaming.

10 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Anyone else like the CRT filter? I’ve been using it almost exclusively, although it’s a shame it’s more aggressive than the SNES one (which I thought was a great balance between accuracy and crispness).

Yes me, and I almost never turn in CRT filters. It looks lovely spread across this. 

8 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Am I right in thinking 4:3 is how it’s supposed to be played, rather than pixel perfect?

Pixel perfect. You get slightly larger borders but the pixels are all the same size then, meaning text is rendered correctly.

52 minutes ago, deKay said:

Pixel perfect. You get slightly larger borders but the pixels are all the same size then, meaning text is rendered correctly.

I remember hearing that these games were designed with the knowledge that the pixels were not going to be square when they were actually displayed. Is that not the case?

17 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I remember hearing that these games were designed with the knowledge that the pixels were not going to be square when they were actually displayed. Is that not the case?

Thats probably true, but 4:3 makes some of the pixels wider or taller than others (instead of each pixel being exactly 3 times as many pixels as the original, some are 3, some 4), which makes it look weird. Some games worse than others, of course, and how your TV displays it has an effect too. It’s text that is most affected.

Sega Mega Drive Classics has no pixel perfect option and it looks horrific - especially the RPGs. Nintendo’s is much less terrible but I can’t see past the irregularness of it!

Just watched this video on running homebrew on your jailbroken Switch.  It really doesn't look too complicated to set up and the homebrew switch scene seems like it's quite far advanced.  It would be nice to get all those retro emulators including the N64, plus being able to watch youtube / netflix / plex etc.  Also the fact that you can essentially dump your game cartidges on your SD card is nice.

Has anyone here done it?  I think I will once I buy a second Switch (holding out for the Pro next year).