Nintendo Switch

deKay

6 minutes ago, Omizzay said:

Just watched this video on running homebrew on your jailbroken Switch.  It really doesn't look too complicated to set up and the homebrew switch scene seems like it's quite far advanced.  It would be nice to get all those retro emulators including the N64, plus being able to watch youtube / netflix / plex etc.  Also the fact that you can essentially dump your game cartidges on your SD card is nice.

Has anyone here done it?  I think I will once I buy a second Switch (holding out for the Pro next year).

There’s a Switch homebrew thread - try there.

2 hours ago, wullie said:

I bought the Mario bundle as I'd eventually get round to playing it once I'd worked through BOTW which was the main game I wanted, but I've not been able to put Odyssey down yet. Absolute joy of a game

It’s really is great. I only approached BOTW once I’d ‘completed’ Odyssey myself...and consequently not touched it since.

3 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Anyone else like the CRT filter? I’ve been using it almost exclusively, although it’s a shame it’s more aggressive than the SNES one (which I thought was a great balance between accuracy and crispness).

It depends on the TV you're using, I find. On an old Sony 1080p LCD it looks terrible and really blurry, on my main Samsung TV it's reasonable, but I think it looks great on the Switch screen itself in handheld mode.

I woke up and played an hour of LttP this morning. Totally lost track of the time.

EFESkxCU8AAbB0X?format=jpg&name=large

@Alex W. I really like the CRT filter, but totally agree, it overdoes it ever so slightly. I wish there was something between that and 4:3 which is just a tad too clean:

Spoiler

EFESkxKU4AAl-0q?format=jpg&name=large

EFESkxMVUAEkZSZ?format=jpg&name=large

Even the pixel perfect below it is alright. I really can't pick which I like most, but once I start playing I mostly forget about it, anyway.

It's a bit weird coming from a perspective of having played Link Between Worlds more than I've played LttP and finding the map and locations feel familiar because of doing things that way around. Maybe it explains why LBW never did much for me.

5 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Anyone else like the CRT filter? I’ve been using it almost exclusively, although it’s a shame it’s more aggressive than the SNES one (which I thought was a great balance between accuracy and crispness).

I don't like it, being honest. Too soft and composite-like. Would like something sharper, like the image I get from my Super Famicom through a Frame Meister, or the scan-line options on Hamster's Arcade Archives series.

OK, so we're a weekend in since the Switch joined the family.

A few teething probs with the wifi - had to buy a TP link extender which is working brilliantly. Makes the Sky router look a complete joke...

Yoshi has grabbed the 3 and 8 year olds in almost equal measure -only the demo so far, but will have to get the whole game - just can't afford it atm.

Splatoon took about 3 days to appeal - mostly due to the wifi tbh.   It's a great game - in fact, I'm gonna have a bash myself when their asleep.  But why not split screen - would be fantastic if we could play together.

Thanks to whoever recommended Astrobears - that's a great laugh.

I can see a pro controller is essential, but again, can't stretch atm so will have to wait.  Are the 3rd party ones any cop?

So all in all, I don't think I could be happier really, so thanks for the help all.

10 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

OK, so we're a weekend in since the Switch joined the family.

A few teething probs with the wifi - had to buy a TP link extender which is working brilliantly. Makes the Sky router look a complete joke...

Yoshi has grabbed the 3 and 8 year olds in almost equal measure -only the demo so far, but will have to get the whole game - just can't afford it atm.

Splatoon took about 3 days to appeal - mostly due to the wifi tbh.   It's a great game - in fact, I'm gonna have a bash myself when their asleep.  But why not split screen - would be fantastic if we could play together.

Thanks to whoever recommended Astrobears - that's a great laugh.

I can see a pro controller is essential, but again, can't stretch atm so will have to wait.  Are the 3rd party ones any cop?

So all in all, I don't think I could be happier really, so thanks for the help all.

One of these (from one of the various drop ship sites)

https://www.dhgate.com/product/for-nintend-switch-pro-controller-bluetooth/461907016.html#s1-2-7;searl|2944627137

We had our for a while now and it is great.

2 hours ago, bradigor said:

https://www.dhgate.com/product/for-nintend-switch-pro-controller-bluetooth/461907016.html#s1-2-7;searl|2944627137

Would absolutely second this. Surprisingly good quality, I'm planning on grabbing a second one at some point soon.

2 hours ago, Dr Nookie said:

If you have other consoles I recommend the 8bitdo receiver which is only £13 on Amazon.

I've used with a PS4 pad which I thought might be a compromise but it absolutely isnt. Rumble, motion control and capture and home button all supported - and I don't have to put up with a rubbish D-Pad.

4 hours ago, bradigor said:

Ive got a few of those, they are great, a little lighter than the real thing and I don’t think the nfc reader works? Could be wrong about that as I’ve never actually used it.

10 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I found with the SNES classic (keep forgetting to try it with the switch) that the CRT filter was better for third party games but the actual Nintendo titles look great without it for some reason. 

Apparently some games were even designed with the scan lines in mind! Maybe those ones look better with them on. 

11 hours ago, grounded_dreams said:

If you don't mind not having HD rumble and being wired, I have one of these, can get it cheaper if you shop around.

Great controller imo.

I have the Donkey Kong version of this and can concur it’s excellent. I’ve only stopped using it because the cable is incompatible with our new dog.

11 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

If you have other consoles I recommend the 8bitdo receiver which is only £13 on Amazon.

I've used with a PS4 pad which I thought might be a compromise but it absolutely isnt. Rumble, motion control and capture and home button all supported - and I don't have to put up with a rubbish D-Pad.

You can't turn the console on from these, is that right?

23 hours ago, deKay said:

Thats probably true, but 4:3 makes some of the pixels wider or taller than others (instead of each pixel being exactly 3 times as many pixels as the original, some are 3, some 4), which makes it look weird. Some games worse than others, of course, and how your TV displays it has an effect too. It’s text that is most affected.

Sega Mega Drive Classics has no pixel perfect option and it looks horrific - especially the RPGs. Nintendo’s is much less terrible but I can’t see past the irregularness of it!

Not in this instance! The Switch Snes games have an impressive interpolation system used on the horizontal axis, so there's no uneven pixels and no shimmering what-so-ever... and it doesn't look blurry. 

4:3 is the "correct" way, but yes some games end up with awful uneven pixels - and pixel perfect can be a necessary image-squashing evil - but that's not the case here, therefore 4:3 is by far the best and most "correct" way to play them. 

citation - 

8 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Same for all third party controllers. Only wireless pads that turn on the console from sleep (as far as I can tell) are the Joycons and Pro Controller.

Can you from the knock-off Pros posted earlier? My understanding is they're exactly Pros (same factory) just not Nintendo ones.

9 minutes ago, deKay said:

Can you from the knock-off Pros posted earlier? My understanding is they're exactly Pros (same factory) just not Nintendo ones.

I don't know. Maybe?

When looking into good D-Pad alternative pads I noticed that every 8bitdo pad had a home button but not the functionality of waking console from sleep. I'm not sure that the official SNES pad Nintendo is releasing will either.

EDIT: NFC is the other thing - I think there is one third party pad that does NFC - even that does not wake from sleep.

I'm going to buy a second set of Joy-Con - I think the new colours coming out in a couple of weeks are a slightly different (improved?) build than the original ones. Does anyone know if the existing colours have been updated to his new build or should I just wait?