Nintendo Switch

deKay

Fingers crossed!

I’m on a train just now and I was playing Zelda with the console on the tray table, and the joycons detached. Bliss. Then it got bumpy and the console fell over so I snapped those back on and continued handheld.

This is the best console.

8 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Fingers crossed!

I’m on a train just now and I was playing Zelda with the console on the tray table, and the joycons detached. Bliss. Then it got bumpy and the console fell over so I snapped those back on and continued handheld.

This is the best console.

The kickstand is rubbish. The cheap semi-official Hori folding stand is excellent, though. 

On 17/09/2019 at 19:52, acidbearboy said:

I hooked up my 8bitdo SF30 controller to the switch, which is perfect for the SNES games. Only trouble is that you lose the rewind/save state options because there’s no ZL or ZR buttons. Any way around that?

Send an email to the 8BitDo support people. I've sent one about the M30 pad having the same problem.  

Thankfully Super Mario World isn't affected so I can still play the best platformer with the best D-Pad whilst they work on a firmware. 

46 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I think they revised the innards to stop the drift issue that plagued early models. Could be wrong, like.

Yeah, in a tear down they showed some slight differences. Mainly to the housing but I suspect that will help identify which is which 

24 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Update to the latest firmware, it’s select + start to open the menu on that. (And as a helpful soul said earlier, down + select for Home.)

Whoops, I read the post I quoted wrong. 

The problem I have with M30 6 Button Genesis 8BitDo

pad is that the Switches L & R buttons are mapped to Z & C.

So hopping and sliding are mapped to the face buttons in Super Mario Kart instead of the shoulders. 

I'd still appreciate emails being sent to 8BitDo for a firmware update. :P 

41pPQ1t4xAL._AC_SY400_.jpg

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

I think they revised the innards to stop the drift issue that plagued early models. Could be wrong, like.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/09/switch_lite_teardown_suggests_it_has_the_same_drift-prone_analogue_sticks_as_standard_model

"Although the sticks on the Switch Lite have a different part number, Spawn Wave is of the opinion that they are, in terms of design and materials used, identical to the ones on the original model."

1 minute ago, Made of Ghosts said:

What’s the cheapest way to play with a decent d-pad? Been perfectly happy with the joycons up til now, but for some reason NES Zelda is really not a pleasant experience with four separate direction buttons. 

I'd like to know this too...

I have the 8bitdo M30, and while it's amazing, the MD/Saturn mashup style isn't for every game. The NES and Super NES titles feel 'off' using it...

While my Switch is docked I have used the USB GameCube adapter and a Hori GameCube pad (the one that looks like a Super Famicom pad with GC face buttons), which is a good compromise, but again, it doesn't feel 'right' for all games, unfortunately.

27 minutes ago, Made of Ghosts said:

What’s the cheapest way to play with a decent d-pad? Been perfectly happy with the joycons up til now, but for some reason NES Zelda is really not a pleasant experience with four separate direction buttons. 

8bitdo N30 Pro 2

40 minutes ago, Made of Ghosts said:

As per last page - PS4/XBO Pad with an 8bitdo receiver.

My switch isn't used a lot, so it is a bit poor that ive had to send my joycons back twice. Both times Nintendo have acknowledged there was a fault, and both times they have extended my warranty by 12 months.  This latest time they have replaced the controllers instead of repairing, but im a little frustrated that upon signing for the parcel today they have only returned one of the controllers and the other is still going through the repair process. I'd have thought it more cost effective to just replace them upon receipt, rather than investigate, repair then replace.  

I've been aware of controller drift for a while but they both started doing something different this time. On the calibration screen the dot matches the movement of the stick but then if you immediately let go, the dot slowly slide back to the centre rather than jumping straight  back.  

At least you get a whole new 12 months on the warranty.  

2 hours ago, Made of Ghosts said:

I have a Mayflash USB adapter that allows you to connect Xbox, Playstation and Wii-U controllers via bluetooth. I also have the original 8bitdo SFC30 SNES style pad, which can be connected to the switch and used with compatible games (no analog sticks and only 2 shoulder buttons).

The Pokken controller has a great dpad and is comfy. Only one set of shoulder buttons and no sticks (so can't stick click) so it's not ideal for all games. But it works great for playing Mario Maker levels, and many streamers use them.

2 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

I have a Mayflash USB adapter that allows you to connect Xbox, Playstation and Wii-U controllers via bluetooth. I also have the original 8bitdo SFC30 SNES style pad, which can be connected to the switch and used with compatible games (no analog sticks and only 2 shoulder buttons).

Have you got your SFC30 to sync ok Gavin? Mine won t for love nor money, nor will it update on my Mac. Going to have to find a PC somewhere and try to update it on that.

I have another Mayflash adaptor that i'd sell if anyone wants it. Always use a Pro controller so no need for it really.

43 minutes ago, Pavey said:

Have you got your SFC30 to sync ok Gavin? Mine won t for love nor money, nor will it update on my Mac. Going to have to find a PC somewhere and try to update it on that.

I have another Mayflash adaptor that i'd sell if anyone wants it. Always use a Pro controller so no need for it really.

I’ve found 8bitdo pads horribly difficult to get to sync first time round. Only consistent tactic I’ve found has been to set it to a different system than to the one that you want to sync with, then set it to the one you want, then sync. It’s usually a reliable connection after that, I found.

10 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I’ve found 8bitdo pads horribly difficult to get to sync first time round. Only consistent tactic I’ve found has been to set it to a different system than to the one that you want to sync with, then set it to the one you want, then sync. It’s usually a reliable connection after that, I found.

Thanks mate. Syncs fine to my Mac, no joy whatsoever getting it to be recognised by the Switch.

3 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Upload automatic. Download manual. 

The process is quick and easy. 

Hmm, my games are not automatically uploading on either switch.

Games often say they aren't backed up and then I have to physically upload them and or download them from the server. Pain in the ass.

2 hours ago, Pavey said:

Thanks mate. Syncs fine to my Mac, no joy whatsoever getting it to be recognised by the Switch.

I’ve had the same issue in the past. Mine are fine now, but went through a phase of not syncing. 

I’ve found it helpful to give the switch a full power off and restart. Then I turn off the 8Bitdo by holding start+select for 5 or so seconds. Then restart pad in switch mode by holding start+Y and pairing. Once paired, I try to keep the pad in switch mode and this seems to work.  

I realse you you are probably doing all that, but no harm me posting what worked for me. 

As the youngest (nearly 4) is rather taken with Yoshi’s Crafted demo I’m considering getting the full game. 
What’s the difficulty like from then on?  He’s really just enjoying strolling around eating Shy guy’s and stuff so it’ll be a bit of a waste (not for me obvs) if it gets a bit tricky too soon. 

cheers,

D.