Nintendo Switch

deKay

3 hours ago, Dr Nookie said:

As the youngest (nearly 4) is rather taken with Yoshi’s Crafted demo I’m considering getting the full game. 
What’s the difficulty like from then on?  He’s really just enjoying strolling around eating Shy guy’s and stuff so it’ll be a bit of a waste (not for me obvs) if it gets a bit tricky too soon. 

cheers,

D. 

Not answering your question, but have you looked at Kirby Star Allies? There's a demo I think and it's great for young kids.

It's light and fluffy and has drop in and out multiplayer for up to 4. It's almost impossible to die, and even then you can be revived. 

I would think it very dull as a 1p game for an adult, but I've had hours and hours of fun with it with my two daughters (and sometimes wife) in 3p or 4p - and it was a great gateway game to "proper" platforming titles like Mario Maker 2 and NSMBU.

5 hours ago, Dr Nookie said:

As the youngest (nearly 4) is rather taken with Yoshi’s Crafted demo I’m considering getting the full game. 
What’s the difficulty like from then on?  He’s really just enjoying strolling around eating Shy guy’s and stuff so it’ll be a bit of a waste (not for me obvs) if it gets a bit tricky too soon. 

cheers,

D. 

I got Yoshi's Crafted World at launch and my son was about 4 and 3/4 then.  He managed to finish the game (bar the extra harder levels that unlock post credits) with some help from myself when things got a bit too difficult.

He has played a bit of Kirby Star Allies when he was 3 and 3/4 doing coop with my wife and myself also playing. We were able to carry him through the game but he was struggling a bit and I think he found Kirby a bit overly complex as Kirby has dozens of different abilities (based on what enemy Kirby swallows).

I think your youngest will struggle with both games but should get some enjoyment out of them with you playing the tougher bits, 6 months time though and they should be getting on with Yoshi reasonably well.

4 minutes ago, strider said:

Does anyone know if Nintendo online stacks?

I've just bought a family pack so both my daughter and myself can play online, but I'm also eyeing up Tetris 99 which has 12 months free. Will that get added for next year or have I wasted my £30?

Individual doesn’t stack on top of family.

19 hours ago, Pavey said:

Have you got your SFC30 to sync ok Gavin? Mine won t for love nor money, nor will it update on my Mac. Going to have to find a PC somewhere and try to update it on that.

I have another Mayflash adaptor that i'd sell if anyone wants it. Always use a Pro controller so no need for it really.

I had to update to the latest firmware , but it worked without a hitch following this simple guide. 

1 hour ago, Flub said:

I'd forgotten how much of a lucky twat the AI could be in Puzzle Quest. :)

Me: I only have one move for a match-3 the only one on the board... so let's do that. 

Ai: 4 of a Kind, 4 of a kind, 4 of a kind Skulls, Match-5, 4 of a kind, 3 Skulls with a 5+ skull

Me: Match 3 of reds

17 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Me: I only have one move for a match-3 the only one on the board... so let's do that. 

Ai: 4 of a Kind, 4 of a kind, 4 of a kind Skulls, Match-5, 4 of a kind, 3 Skulls with a 5+ skull

But then the luck goes your way next time and you absolutely wreck his shit.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I'm playing Link to the Past and had to use a guide to get to the Tower of Hera. I think I could have played that game for the rest of my life and not found it if I hadn't.

First time playing? I'm jealous if so.

I've completed Link to the Past about 20 times (very likely more) and got completely lost after the very first dungeon this time. Didnt take me too long to find my bearings but usually I dont even have to think.

It was nice to have forgotten some of it. Still my favourite videogame.

My 8bitdo SF30 Pro controller arrived today. I'm really impressed with it. It looks lovely and feels great in the hands. I thought without handles it would be uncomfortable to hold but on the contrary it felt absolutely fine for the two hour+ session I managed to get in this evening. Plus, I didn't get sweaty palms like I normally do after a while when using the Pro Controller.

I use one for my Retropie setup - great isn't it! I'm still impressed a year on with how it manages to have four usable shoulder buttons and two analogue sticks on top of a SNES base and yet feel comfortable.

Plus I can use it on my phone without having to re-pair it every time as a nice bonus.

My second set of Joycons have now started to drift to the left, and it's getting really annoying and tiresome.  Cleaning them once in a while is basically just a temporary solution and I can't be fucked to take them apart to maybe fix them.

So I've just gone ahead and ordered the officially licensed HORI Switch Split Pad Pro:

image.png.6710bb7a2810434afb7a2a4c8f4c4457.png

Reviews so far have been very favourable, and as I mainly play in handheld mode these seem like a perfect (and hopefully longer-lasting) replacement.  The lack of rumble and gyro isn't a dealbreaker for me anyway as not many games take advantage of that functionality.

Here's a review if anyone is thinking about getting them.  I'll update with my feedback once they arrive:

17 hours ago, bradigor said:

This I why I favour classes & items that can mitigate when the AI hits a lucky streak.  I have a preferred loadout, but I'm sure there are many combinations, particularly with all the extra items that were added in the expansions.

3 minutes ago, Jarik said:

This I why I favour classes & items that can mitigate when the AI hits a lucky streak.  I have a preferred loadout, but I'm sure there are many combinations, particularly with all the extra items that were added in the expansions.

What classes would you say are the most fun? It's been a really long time since I played it last.

1 hour ago, Flub said:

What classes would you say are the most fun? It's been a really long time since I played it last.

My preferred class is Druid because of the basic healing spell they start with making starting out easier, plus the lightning bolt spell they get later can cause single +5 Skulls to explode, which are both low Mana cost but very useful (healing) & satisfying (lightning. Boom! ^_^ )  I'll definitely be trying out the new classes later on though.  I can replay this game (and have!) over & over.

A good early equipment combination is the Rat King's amulet (Earned through an early quest, +3 Gold whenever you match Blue Mana) & a Troll Ring (Bought from the store, HP Regeneration as long as you have enough Blue Mana) which can both keep you alive & earn you currency as you're starting out.  Eventually you'll want to replace both those items with more powerful ones from the store or earned through quests.

One other note, don't forget to upgrade your Citadel (in your home city) & eventually you'll reach the point where you can attack cities on the map & if you win, take them over so they pay you tribute.  You may wonder why you'll want to do this seeing as you'll still be questing & doing jobs for these cities even when they're 'conquered' but it's all about earning enough money so you can get the best items or paying for upgrades to your character (at the temple in your city, once you build it) which you'll need in order for your character to be strong enough to take on the games later challenges.

My Internet is down ATM so I can't check the Switch eShop directly, but wasn't Jedi Knight supposed to be released today?

I'm very curious about this game not only for its surprise presence on the Switch, but also because the only game I've previously played in this series is the first one (Dark Forces) which was essentially a Doom clone with a Star Wars skin.  I never played any of the subsequent entries where Kyle Katarn is revealed to be a Jedi (or not, I'm not clear) & starts swinging around a lightsabre & using Force powers.  It's supposed to only be about £10 though so when my Home Internet is repaired (hopefully this afternoon) & if it is on the eShop, I'll give definitely give it a go.

5 minutes ago, Jarik said:

My Internet is down ATM so I can't check the Switch eShop directly, but wasn't Jedi Knight supposed to be released today?

I'm very curious about this game not only for its surprise presence on the Switch, but also because the only game I've previously played in this series is the first one (Dark Forces) which was essentially a Doom clone with a Star Wars skin.  I never played any of the subsequent entries where Kyle Katarn is revealed to be a Jedi (or not, I'm not clear) & starts swinging around a lightsabre & using Force powers.  It's supposed to only be about £10 though so when my Home Internet is repaired (hopefully this afternoon) & if it is on the eShop, I'll give definitely give it a go.

£8.09 I'm seeing