Nintendo Switch

deKay

On 24/09/2019 at 13:20, sharak said:

Does anyone have the boosted battery (new) switch?

I do.  A number of people who opinions I trust said that this new model is more power efficient not only in terms of battery but also in KWH while docked, so as my Switch was a Launch model but the platform shows no sign of slowing down i thought it was time for an upgrade like when I went from a PS4 to a PS4 Pro.

So far, I'm still running it through its paces as I mostly play docked but when I go handheld I don't put it back in the dock until it's completely drained, which is recommended with New batteries to increase their efficiency, so my Switch has actually found a lovely little new function as a little YouTube TV that I can watch in the Kitchen while making dinner. ^_^

20 minutes ago, sharak said:

Cheers @Jarik.

Is that actually recommended with current battery tech? I know it used to be, but I didn't think full discharges were a good thing now.

Have you noticed the longer battery life yet?

I think the battery tech situation has gotten a lot better in recent years, but a lot of the folks I watch/listen to on sites like CNET says that its something you should still do, but only like 3 or 4 times & then you can just use it however you like.

Like I said, I haven't had it long but the improved battery life is definitely noticable.  I was playing Breath of the Wild when I got the 'low battery' warning on screen, but was still able to keep playing for far longer than I was on the previous model before the Switch automatically shutdown.

FWIW I charged mine on Thursday and played it a bunch on long train journeys on Friday and Monday and still had to really put in the hours yesterday to get the battery to zero. It’s much more in the DS/GBA SP range than the 3DS (but I never had an original Switch).

I was playing my launch day switch today. 1 hour and 20 mins of Dragon Quest XI and Goose game took half my battery. I think I want a new one. Might get a Lite when I get paid. I generally only play in handheld anyway these days.

How do you switch which device is the primary? From your web account or on the device?

4 hours ago, Jarik said:

My Internet is down ATM so I can't check the Switch eShop directly, but wasn't Jedi Knight supposed to be released today?

I'm very curious about this game not only for its surprise presence on the Switch, but also because the only game I've previously played in this series is the first one (Dark Forces) which was essentially a Doom clone with a Star Wars skin.  I never played any of the subsequent entries where Kyle Katarn is revealed to be a Jedi (or not, I'm not clear) & starts swinging around a lightsabre & using Force powers.  It's supposed to only be about £10 though so when my Home Internet is repaired (hopefully this afternoon) & if it is on the eShop, I'll give definitely give it a go.

apparently you can't invert controls, if that's a deal breaker.

It's a painfully dated FPS that wasn't very good to start with, IMO. Jedi Academy is a stone classic though

22 minutes ago, Flub said:

I was playing my launch day switch today. 1 hour and 20 mins of Dragon Quest XI and Goose game took half my battery. I think I want a new one. Might get a Lite when I get paid. I generally only play in handheld anyway these days.

How do you switch which device is the primary? From your web account or on the device?

I didn't think the Lite's battery life was much better than the original Switch.

51 minutes ago, Flub said:

Have you got DQXI?! 

Is there a recommended good-value charger for this? I can't quite reach my dock's mains adapter when my wall-o-electronics is set up so I could use one for travelling. There seem to be some reasonable ones for ~£15 on Amazon, versus about £20 for a good USB-C PD charger without a cable, and I only have this one USB-C device. Any reason not to save myself £5?

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

Is there a recommended good-value charger for this? I can't quite reach my dock's mains adapter when my wall-o-electronics is set up so I could use one for travelling. There seem to be some reasonable ones for ~£15 on Amazon, versus about £20 for a good USB-C PD charger without a cable, and I only have this one USB-C device. Any reason not to save myself £5?

I went with the Anker PD Charger with the extra USB slot. Means I can take anywhere and charge up phone and Switch and tether internet. I definitely prefer these chargers to specific molded ones as it's easier to replace broken wires.

Man alive. Nintendo Switch downloads are so slow. I normally don't notice. I'd set something going and come back later but it's really obvious when you're downloading your collection onto a new Lite. I have 350meg bb. My mesh wifi gets speed test results of 387meg.

Yet overnight the Switch Lite barely made a dent in my download queue. The switch has been sat aboout 4 feet away from one of the mesh nodes.

Speedtest from the Switch itself (No idea which server Nintendo uses). 13meg. Pitiful.

1 hour ago, Flub said:

Man alive. Nintendo Switch downloads are so slow. I normally don't notice. I'd set something going and come back later but it's really obvious when you're downloading your collection onto a new Lite. I have 350meg bb. My mesh wifi gets speed test results of 387meg.

Yet overnight the Switch Lite barely made a dent in my download queue. The switch has been sat aboout 4 feet away from one of the mesh nodes.

Speedtest from the Switch itself (No idea which server Nintendo uses). 13meg. Pitiful.

The WiFi is notoriously shit. I doubt they've changed it for the lite. You could plug a usb lan adapter in and...oh hang on....