rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

9 minutes ago, ilpostino said:

My NES30 must have been on the blink too, as there's noticable lag when I use it on the Switch.

The M30 works perfect, just was (very) tricky to get it to connect for the first time. Fingers crossed it stays reliable. :) 

I also have an NES30, the first revision, and it’s not as nice to use, if I’m being honest. Build quality feels rather hollow, not as solid feeling as the M30, and ergonomically speaking it could’ve been better.

I see Base.com are offering Super Mario Maker 2 plus 12 months of online for £45 at the moment. I think I read that if you buy extra online subs they are accumulated against your account, is that right?

43 minutes ago, Popo said:

I think I read that if you buy extra online subs they are accumulated against your account, is that right?

Yes, you can stack the subs as long as they are the same type (so single user or family).  You can’t stack different types - so if you are single user, a family code will just replace it totally.

• Upvote 1

Just got the SF30 Pro (the abomination that Debaser mentions) for £30 or so off fleabay. An entirely unecessary purchase seeing as I'll only be using the dpad for a handful of games, but I'm happy nonetheless :)

• Upvote 1

the power sliding in SNES Mario Kart is a bit of a head scratcher when you're so used to endlessly left/right powering round bends in MK8, it feels so restrictive in comparison to what we're now used to.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Gotters said:

the power sliding in SNES Mario Kart is a bit of a head scratcher when you're so used to endlessly left/right powering round bends in MK8, it feels so restrictive in comparison to what we're now used to.

I find it much purer, it’s a racer and love it for TT stuff - you have to be far more accurate than the modern games - this and 8 are best by miles but for very different reasons!

• Upvote 8

5 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I find it much purer, it’s a racer and love it for TT stuff - you have to be far more accurate than the modern games - this and 8 are best by miles but for very different reasons!

way purer, your turning in pots are perfect or messed up, and its much harder, if not impossible, to correct them without losing time

12 minutes ago, Gotters said:

way purer, your turning in pots are perfect or messed up, and its much harder, if not impossible, to correct them without losing time

Yup, first track with DK is gaming nirvana and I could spend all day just TT on it, I have done many times in the past and am reigning Edge forum champion ;) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

Yup, first track with DK is gaming nirvana and I could spend all day just TT on it, I have done many times in the past and am reigning Edge forum champion ;) 

I'm pretty sure one of the reasons I first came over here from Games Radar was a Mario Kart TT tourney.  I remember you being involved.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

Counter-steer hopping is your friend, IIRC.

2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

45 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Streamed the snes online games earlier , had a lot of fun with 2 player MK GPs but it would have been nice to have a player that challenged me.

I did wonder how long it would take for the SMK posturing to appear in this thread :)

• Upvote 4

On 06/09/2019 at 21:31, dreamylittledream said:

Play Super Tennis - its still quite possibly the best tennis game ever..

Bloody hell, it’s difficult!

I played it once or twice twenty-odd years ago but don’t remember it being this tough.

14 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

Bloody hell, it’s difficult!

I played it once or twice twenty-odd years ago but don’t remember it being this tough.

Virtua Tennis has made us all lazy. In that game and those that have followed, timing and positioning isn’t all that important compared to  Super Tennis.

That said, I’m back in the swing of things now and the CPU opponents struggle quite embarrassingly against top spin shots.

56 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I had the revelation this evening that I’ve never properly played Super Metroid. I played Zero Mission or Fusion and confused them. This is better than them.

4 hours on it tonight soaking up the nostalgic music and pixel art, ingenious level design, some superb ideas in there. What an incredible surprise - I cannot wait to play through the rest. It holds up incredibly well, in many respects the design and atmosphere put many modern games to shame. So... I take back my comment about retro games all being shite.

It was amazing to play back in 1994. I remember the Edge review being quite lukewarm about it (rated it 8/10, but the review text itself wasn’t exactly glowing), expected a competent platform action game, but got one of the most atmospheric and engrossing games experiences I’d ever played.

8 hours ago, grindmouse said:

I had the revelation this evening that I’ve never properly played Super Metroid. I played Zero Mission or Fusion and confused them. This is better than them.

4 hours on it tonight soaking up the nostalgic music and pixel art, ingenious level design, some superb ideas in there. What an incredible surprise - I cannot wait to play through the rest. It holds up incredibly well, in many respects the design and atmosphere put many modern games to shame. So... I take back my comment about retro games all being shite.

I thought you'd played it a dozen times? :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Are people playing SNES Mario Kart online on switch? How?

Choose the option that says 'Play SNES Mario Kart online' ;)

You can only play with friends, not randoms.

• Upvote 1

As it seems that the forthcoming SNES controllers will work with most Switch games, has there been a patch or anything for the NES controllers, or do they still only work with the NES games?

Apologies - another super dry question. Does any USBC charger work for this? I don't have anything USBC yet but assume a cable hooked up to a USB socket will be fine.

Playing Yoshi's Island on the Switch screen is the best way I have ever played it. It's hard to believe that it is now pushing on 25 years old as it is as good now as it was back in the olden days. Pretty much perfect platforming... 

Also, Stunt Race FX would be awsome with a Virtua Racing style 60fps update. Its just too rough for me to cope with as is.. 

2 hours ago, Stejay said:

As it seems that the forthcoming SNES controllers will work with most Switch games, has there been a patch or anything for the NES controllers, or do they still only work with the NES games?

The NES controllers work fine with other games that only need a couple of buttons...

• Upvote 1