rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

4 minutes ago, bridger said:

Notifications of when a friend wants to invite you to a game or start a chat or someth...oh wait! :blink:

They did add game invites with this update so it may be used for that. I dont think I've seen the Home button light up yet. I forgot it could.

• Upvote 1

Right you lot, after months of messing about I’m getting the kids a Switch this weekend. 

The new new battery tipped the balance, so where’s the best place to get?  

JL don't currently have them but the official Ninty website offers 2 year warranty- that’s as good a place as anywhere I guess. 

I’ll get a screen protector and carrycase elsewhere. 

Anything else I need to think of?

Cheers,

David. 

I don't use my Switch in portable mode very often, but my wife gave birth to our second child over the weekend and having the switch to grab 5 minutes distraction when there's nothing I need to be doing there and then has been so, so nice.

Nintendo single handedly getting me through the horrors of pat leave.

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

I've preordered a Switch Lite and have been looking at cases..... really like this official one, but as the article says it seems to only be available in Japan.

Has anyone seen it elsewhere?  If not, where is the best place to import something like this from?

Amazon Japan have it for pre-order

https://www.amazon.co.jp/任天堂-Nintendo-Switch-Liteフリップカバー(画面保護シート付き)/dp/B07X5L6GSW/ref=as_li_ss_tl?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&keywords=switch+lite&qid=1567876104&s=videogames&sr=1-9&linkCode=sl1&tag=nsjpsl-22&linkId=c4029bbd0b474619b69157a90b10e3bf&language=ja_JP

Looks a nice case.

Finally got my Switch (the new updated version) with the Neon joy cons.

QWydzNl.jpg

I've been trying to sort out my SD card, but not having much luck with the storage. Its a 64 Gig Sandisk Ultra which I was using for images for my Raspberry Pi.

I put in into my Mac to check how much space I had left and weirdly it showing about 20 Meg. Opened Funter to show hidden files and deleted everything on the card, still hardly any more space. So formatted the card using Disk Utility (ExFAT) and as seen below it is showing 43Meg total storage space.

Even put it into the Switch just incase and still the same.

Any ideas?

dvc7vab.jpg

z2ZoL2R.jpg

6 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

Finally got my Switch (the new updated version) with the Neon joy cons.

QWydzNl.jpg

I've been trying to sort out my SD card, but not having much luck with the storage. Its a 64 Gig Sandisk Ultra which I was using for images for my Raspberry Pi.

I put in into my Mac to check how much space I had left and weirdly it showing about 20 Meg. Opened Funter to show hidden files and deleted everything on the card, still hardly any more space. So formatted the card using Disk Utility (ExFAT) and as seen below it is showing 43Meg total storage space.

Even put it into the Switch just incase and still the same.

Any ideas?

dvc7vab.jpg

z2ZoL2R.jpg

Where did you buy it from?  Might be one of those dodgy counterfeit ones.

4 minutes ago, Chooch said:

Where did you buy it from?  Might be one of those dodgy counterfeit ones.

It was from Amazon and had been showing the correct storage space fine when I have been previously using it on my Pi.

Anyone had problem with their game cards?

Mario Kart just doesn't seem to want to be acknowledged by my Switch. It takes about 10-20 times for it to work. It does look like the contacts have marks on - ill try cleaning first - but i did notice on the Nintendo website they can repair them? Probably will charge me though..

Looking around at pre-orders the best option actually looks to be Nintendo themselves with the Lite, Mario Oddyssey and a carry case for £250. I was hoping for a little bundle with BOTW but I'm kidding myself if I wasn't going to get both anyway so I'll just get that separately next week. Has anybody ordered direct from Nintendo before?

@wullie I bought my Switch direct from Nintendo a few months ago (days before they announced the new version :( ) in a similar bundle with a game and case, and it was fine. IIRC I ordered it on a Saturday morning and it arrived Sunday afternoon.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

59 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

<<stuff about card capacity>>

Did you check if there's any other unreadable partitions or unallocated space, anything like that? Can recommend GParted to have a poke about at it on the Mac.

12 minutes ago, Darren said:

@wullie I bought my Switch direct from Nintendo a few months ago (days before they announced the new version :( ) in a similar bundle with a game and case, and it was fine. IIRC I ordered it on a Saturday morning and it arrived Sunday afternoon.

Ah that all sounds good, thanks. I just noticed that they include a 2-year warranty as standard too so that wins it for me

16 minutes ago, ilpostino said:

Did you check if there's any other unreadable partitions or unallocated space, anything like that? Can recommend GParted to have a poke about at it on the Mac.

Thanks for the suggestion, just tried this. Only options I could find were .ISOs and everyone I tried mounting with DiskImageMounter just popped up with an error stating they couldn't be opened.

48 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

Thanks for the suggestion, just tried this. Only options I could find were .ISOs and everyone I tried mounting with DiskImageMounter just popped up with an error stating they couldn't be opened.

@grounded_dreams

its not a fake. The raspberry pi image uses most of the space as a Linux partition. OS X and windows will not see this, only the small fat32 partition for boot config. 

Download the sd card formatter tool from the sd association website. 

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

I love my Switch but it’s always been a hassle to get it docked.

Hold the home button. Nothing happens. Take out console and reinsert. Try again. This time the console switches on but won’t connect to the TV. Unplug everything. Take out and reinsert all cables. Try again and now it works.

I have to go through this about one time out of five. I don’t know if it’s just dust or shit cables. Are all of them a bit unreliable or is it just mine?

Is the home button what you're meant to press to turn it on in the dock? I always dock it then use the power button. The only time that does not work is when I have not turned it on at the plug socket. It usually automatically puts my TV on the right HDMI channel.

1 hour ago, Ninja Doctor said:

@grounded_dreams

its not a fake. The raspberry pi image uses most of the space as a Linux partition. OS X and windows will not see this, only the small fat32 partition for boot config. 

Download the sd card formatter tool from the sd association website. 

Lovely stuff, that worked a treat.

Much appreciated :)

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

There's no way to organise games on the switch into folders or anything, like on PS4 is there?

They're already organised into FUCKING AWESOME GAMES and GAMES YOU HAVEN'T BOUGHT YET

• Upvote 9

2 minutes ago, deKay said:

They're already organised into FUCKING AWESOME GAMES and GAMES YOU HAVEN'T BOUGHT YET

Or alphabetical, if you wanted. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, grounded_dreams said:

Lovely stuff, that worked a treat.

Much appreciated :)

Happy to help. It’s annoying that none of the built in OS tools can seem to fix this once you’ve written a raspi image to a card. 

• Empathy 1

2 hours ago, Big Swifty said:

Is the home button what you're meant to press to turn it on in the dock? I always dock it then use the power button. The only time that does not work is when I have not turned it on at the plug socket. It usually automatically puts my TV on the right HDMI channel.

The home button on the Pro Controller. But it seems temperamental. I’m not even sure if it’s the way you’re supposed to do it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

The home button on the Pro Controller. But it seems temperamental. I’m not even sure if it’s the way you’re supposed to do it.

You need to double tap it quickly.

Updated my Switch to system v9 this afternoon and now neither of my left joycon want to stay connected. Never, ever had a problem with them (I know it was relatively common at launch) from day one, and for two hours yesterday my grey set were fine. Tonight, it wouldn't stay connected for more and a few seconds, so swapped to my coloured pair and although that was better in about an hour's play it disconnected about ten times.

Anyone else noticed a change?

(Note: I have not bought an L shaped sofa in the last 24 hours)

• Upvote 1

The Switch has made me suffer from the worst analysis paralysis in decades. By having so many options, and ridiculous built in faults I have dedicated far too much effort already into minutiae:

- No screen protector but applied felt strips from eBay to the front inside ridges

- Bought a USBC charger and cable after a ridiculous amount of research because I haven't kept up with the last 5 years of tech and thought I could buy something from Poundland

- Still haven't 100% decided on the pad to play in docked mode but leaning towards 8bitdo stick + PS4 pad because I already know that it will do everything I need (unlike the Pro controller). Caveats are no good for tabletop mode so probably need another compact controller at some point, possibly M30.

- Bought a case but still haven't decided if I want a stand (want one to let me setup vertically ideally) and a power bank.

I am hoping I can forget about all this pointless stuff now and enjoy the fact that I have a new console without the ridiculous choice paralysis I have elsewhere.

• Empathy 1