Nintendo Switch

deKay

14 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I know I keep going on about this but the simple function of the Switch is so constantly delightful. Putting on my headphones, turning on the GBA and getting through a world of a Mario or a Metroid or a Castlevania was my respite from a difficult day so many times in the past and being able to curl up on the couch like that with Mario Odyssey feels really nice. That I can plug the same thing in to the TV and have a cheery game of Mario Kart or Puyo Puyo or Goose Game when things are good is like some magical bonus.

It’s unfathomable that someone made a console like this.

For whatever reason my son often ends up playing Splatoon on the sofa, just because he can.  I thought it would only leave the dock when we went on holiday tbh, but I too have spent some significant time lounging and playing on that little screen.  It was a very worthwhile investment for the family.

5 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

and recommend me a memory card..

Sandisk are fine and decent value.

The 256Gb was under £25 a short while back but the 400gb is currently best value (if you are OK with Amazon) although it is possible overkill for Switch...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter-Performance/dp/B074RNRM2B/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=sandisk+400gb+sd&qid=1571396586&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&sr=8-1

2 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Sandisk are fine and decent value.

The 256Gb was under £25 a short while back but the 400gb is currently best value (if you are OK with Amazon) although it is possible overkill for Switch...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter-Performance/dp/B074RNRM2B/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=sandisk+400gb+sd&qid=1571396586&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&sr=8-1

Cheers, but I was just messing saying it's one of those questions people ask, like the power banks.

I think I did in fact get one of those Sandisks for 25 notes.

The Switch is going to be such a killer emulation platform come the end of its life. Loads of controller options and the small screen being kinder to older games while always having the choice of the TV. I'm sure those early adopters jamming forks into battery compartments to short the bios (science talk!) will say it's good now, but i look forward to reviving the console once it's previous gen and the emulators and features are more mature.

21 hours ago, Coolcongo said:

And to be fair if they want to keep it cheaper than the ps5 I think they could charge £450  For it and still be cheaper. I think the ps5 is going to be mega expensive. But switch pro  I would say £349

I'd say £299 (or the same price point as the current Switch).

Think it will be a while before Nintendo release one though... Think they have a great formula with the current Switch and just need to refine it a bit if anything. Better analogue sticks on the joycons for example and perhaps a more stable kickstand....

1 hour ago, Benny said:

That's at least six votes I expect for Switch as hardware of the year in the awards.

I don’t know, for your metaphorical awards bash, the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B is probably my vote. And that won’t trouble a 2080ti Super anytime soon.

Yes, the Switch is low end graphics, but it’s modern, runs great handheld graphics and has produced more classic games than anything released in the past 2 years that I’ve played on my old PS4 and my recently acquired PC.

Yes, it’s current generation.

11 minutes ago, Wools said:

I don’t know, for your metaphorical awards bash, the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B is probably my vote. And that won’t trouble a 2080ti Super anytime soon.

Yes, the Switch is low end graphics, but it’s modern, runs great handheld graphics and has produced more classic games than anything released in the past 2 years that I’ve played on my old PS4 and my recently acquired PC.

Yes, it’s current generation.

Not actually sure what "generation" actually means anymore... seems to be only Sony and MS keeping up with each other at the moment to what ends I'm not really sure. Nintendo backed out of the power game a long while ago. 

So Nintendo have a console out which has been very successful for them and has great games on it.... 

Personally its the console I've spent most time with this year... think its because its so accessible and just plays games. Its like a new generation old school console if that makes sense. I like its purity. :) 

11 minutes ago, Wools said:

I was thinking more of the actual Rllmuk Awards than the metaphorical ones.

Last night I had a go on theTokyo Olympics game.

It' great fun.  Plenty of options for making goofy characters, and a wide variety of events.  Some of them are button hammering events, and some of them need timing.  There are more events coming in free downloads later.

I think it's out in the West next year, but the JP version is all in English for those importing.

I had a few goes at the 100m, then tried the boxing and then practiced a few others.

You can unlock outfits for your character, which range from the useful to the ridiculous.  It has local and online multiplayer.

I'm also getting Mario and Sonic, but this was good fun.

Just now, moosegrinder said:

It's very typical Ubisoft collectathon but it's got bags of charm and is a really satisfying little game.

Yes! I wonder if it would have sold better if it didn’t have the pointless plastic bits. Which I’m baffled as to how they communicate with the joycon.

Just now, deKay said:

Yes! I wonder if it would have sold better if it didn’t have the pointless plastic bits. Which I’m baffled as to how they communicate with the joycon.

Probably. It was way too expensive at launch, but that Arwing was absolutely worth the £13 I paid for it. Then I spent another fucking £50 on other ships and guns and whatnot in sales to unlock all the gubbins. Absolutely worth it.

And yeah the bizarre thing is you only need to link them to the console once a week. If you buy the digital version you don't need the toys.