Nintendo Switch

deKay

4 minutes ago, deKay said:

Animal Crossing is going to see a spike in 2nd and 3rd household Switches. I suspect my wife will need one and we've already got two in the house.

Have never played it - is it a life simulator of sorts? Know nothing about it, as can probably be guessed.

4 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

Anyone think it's got a shot at reaching the Wii's total?

Could do. It's half way there. It'll depend on whether the PS5/XboxoxoxxXSeriesX draw enough people away, and what Nintendo still have in their back pocket in terms of games.

Metroid will sell consoles, but how many?

BOTW2 will sell well, but surely anyone who would play that already has a Switch for the first game.

Same with another Pokemon - it'll sell, but Pokemon fans will mostly already have Switches.

4 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Is there really an untapped audience that Metroid Prime’s going to grab that didn’t already buy Switches for Zelda and Mario?

Yeah, I think so. 

What's going to keep Switch sales going is the Lite. Having a fully fledged handheld version at under £200 means it's now both a one per household shared console and a personal, one per person device. But they all count as Switches. It's like combining SNES and Game Boy sales, or Wii and DS, into one total.

So the key isn't finding a AAA killer title that will sell consoles to people who haven't bought a Switch yet - it's making games like Animal Crossing and Pokemon that the kids will want a Switch of their own to play them on (and local multiplayer with each other).

Blimey, it's been years since I indulged in console sales chat. SKU!

4 minutes ago, sharak said:

Can anyone recommend a carry case for the Switch? There are these "15 in 1 " things on eBay which look fine for around a tenner...

Do you want to carry just the switch or the cradle/ controllers/ cables etc as well?

1 minute ago, PeteBrant said:

Do you want to carry just the switch or the cradle/ controllers/ cables etc as well?

Mainly just protect the Switch itself. Makes sense to house a USB cable and some carts, too, but that shouldn't be an issue. If I am flying etc then power bricks and the like will be packed separately.

This is the kind of thing I saw on eBay.

6 minutes ago, sharak said:

Can anyone recommend a carry case for the Switch? There are these "15 in 1 " things on eBay which look fine for around a tenner...

If you are looking for something just for the Switch and slots to put some some games in, I got this one from Game

They do loads of different styles and colours and when I was in my local store recently they were on sale. Only downside is they don't have a handle, if you needed one.

7 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

If you are looking for something just for the Switch and slots to put some some games in, I got this one from Game

They do loads of different styles and colours and when I was in my local store recently they were on sale. Only downside is they don't have a handle, if you needed one.

To be fair that looks pretty good for £10. My current approach of wrapping the console in an old t-shirt could do with an upgrade.

13 minutes ago, sharak said:

Mainly just protect the Switch itself. Makes sense to house a USB cable and some carts, too, but that shouldn't be an issue. If I am flying etc then power bricks and the like will be packed separately.

This is the kind of thing I saw on eBay.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MR63I6F

I've been using this since just after launch and take it to work every day. Holds 5 games and a stylus for Mario Maker. No space for cables or plugs though.

I've always felt the same but I picked up a switch lite from the forum recently and added the screen protector that came bundled with it. I was surprised just how easy it was to apply, and you don't notice it at all unless you manage to get an air pocket or two.

So impressed, that I'll definitely try a screen protector with the next iPhone I pick up.