rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

9 minutes ago, harbey said:

Another new Switch owner here. Got what I want from the big titles for now (Mario Odyssey and Zelda  BOTW) but no idea about what to look at from the online store. Is there anything which is essential? Sorry, asking a question which I'm sure has been answered plenty of times already. 

Welcome to the club :)

It all depends what types of genres and game styles you like really.

But has a broad jumping off point, you could check out this list which shows the highest rated Switch games and then could read the descriptions and find ones you likes the genre of, most will have a trailer for you to quickly check out too.

There is also a sale on the eShop for you to look through. Also, don;t forget quite a few games do have demo's, so no harm in downloading those to check out games prior to purchasing.

HTH

• Upvote 2

My own personal eShop essentials would be:

Hollow Knight

Happy shopping!

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, grounded_dreams said:

Welcome to the club :)

It all depends what types of genres and game styles you like really.

But has a broad jumping off point, you could check out this list which shows the highest rated Switch games and then could read the descriptions and find ones you likes the genre of, most will have a trailer for you to quickly check out too.

There is also a sale on the eShop for you to look through. Also, don;t forget quite a few games do have demo's, so no harm in downloading those to check out games prior to purchasing.

HTH

That list is perfect. Many thanks. 

• Upvote 1

Has anyone purchased a physical eShop Gift Card recently? Wanted to get a few a gifts and after going to numerous stores (via this list off their site . None of them had any and all advised they are awaiting for new stock from Nintendo and seems like a general issue. Had been trying for about two weeks prior to Christmas. Can't seem to find them to purchase online either from their websites. Wanted to get actual cards rather than purely eShop funds which you can get via their site etc

4 hours ago, harbey said:

Another new Switch owner here. Got what I want from the big titles for now (Mario Odyssey and Zelda  BOTW) but no idea about what to look at from the online store. Is there anything which is essential? Sorry, asking a question which I'm sure has been answered plenty of times already. 

For me it would be:

Hollow Knight - a hard as nails metriodvania, but one that never feels unfair. It was a totally immersive and beautiful world to explore.

Golf Story - a golf rpg, I normally hate golf games but this is great fun, it as a very funny story too. This has actually got me into watching golf as I understand the mechanics now. It probably won't take that long to get through the main story but I still get tons of enjoyment playing the two player modes with my mate.

3 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

All new Switch owners: I would strongly recommend not buying anything else until you've savoured and played the games you have already. If you own Breath of the Wild, for example, just play that and that alone for the next 100 hours and enjoy every second without worrying about playing anything else.

This is sound advice. As a day one owner the days spent with just this game are still some of my all time gaming highlights. 

• Upvote 1

Good point about just playing what we've got. Too many games on that unfinished pile already. Still good to hear recommendations though. I've at least got a wishlist for future sales. 

I'm going to need an SD card before long I suspect. Is there anything out of the ordinary needed or just what ever is on sale? 

Hello Diablo III turned out to be a class A narcotic so I’m in trouble now ktnx bye

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

At the in laws for Xmas. Left my usb c charger for the switch. Woe is me. 

not that it matters. Gotta keep playing this 20 year old copy of trivial pursuit. 

Do you mean the cable or the original charger?

If your in laws have a USB C cable and a phone charger, it'll charge the Switch, just slowly.  If they have a 2 Amp charger, it'll almost maintain battery life if you play with it charging too.

The current eShop sale has some incredible deals, with discounts ranging all the way up to 95%. I'll certainly be picking up a few indie titles.

I'm enjoying the games I've picked up but in truth, I fired up Valfaris first and spent so long on it I didn't have time for much else. Superficially you'd think it was a Contra clone but it's not. It's a much less intense experience than that with a greater emphasis on platforming.

Some great bosses and music. Highly recommended.

The other game I've been immersed in is My Friend Pedro. The music is ripped straight out of Hotline Miami and the gameplay... a part of me wants to call it a cross between Trials and Max Payne, but that's not quite representitve. It's a fun, almost tactical 2D shooter, in which you spin, dance and back flip your way through a series of increasingly complicated levels. It looks stylish as hell and as the difficulty ramps up, so does the satisfaction you feel on tearing through so many enemies in one graceful string.

I've had a quick look at Toki too and that seems fun enough and I'm looking forward to firing up Astral Chain this evening.

The console itself is nice and it works exactly as I'd hoped. Pleasantly surprised by the simple UI too. Everything just seems to work without much trouble.

All in all a good first impression. I think it'll become my go-to for indie titles.

• Upvote 2

Hard West is £1.79 in the sale. I've had my eye on it for years, always wondering if it would ever get a console port. Then it gets a Switch one! Been playing it a bit today and I'm rather immersed. Nice Xcom-alike with a tasty Weird West theme. At times it can look a bit cheap (some companions menu faces look like early 90's 3D models) but I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Map interaction is a little like West of Loathing too. More cowboy games please!

• Upvote 1

Anyone seen a list of today’s new releases and deals? Nintendolife normally have one but I’m guessing with it being Boxing Day it didn’t get sorted.

Well, I got the Batmans in the sale. Feel like I’m front loading 2020 so hopefully won’t need new games until May or something.

24 minutes ago, deKay said:

Well, I got the Batmans in the sale. Feel like I’m front loading 2020 so hopefully won’t need new games until May or something.

I went pretty crazy over the past week. That’s probably me good until Two-point Hospital in Feb or so. Maybe I’ll actually play it this time.

Yeah I‘m using all my strength to not even look at the current sale as I‘ve built a wee pile of shame recently and I hate doing that.

Said pile:

Celeste

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Civ 6

Shovel Knight: House of Cards 

Dark Souls Remastered 

No more. That’s enough. 

Definitely.  

23 hours ago, harbey said:

Those two plus Tetris 99 are all you need for about six months.

• Upvote 1

Zelda is a long game, I put 250+ hours in I think. You can finish it in a quarter of that if you want. Tetris 99 I’ve put 1000 hours into and feel like I’ve just started on my journey.

• Upvote 2

My post-Christmas dragging it out til Jan 2nd chilled mince pie slug vibe involves:

- AI: The Somnium Files (enjoying it so far, very easy and lazy with a jargon appendix for when you fall asleep due to lack of interaction and too many selection boxes). 

- Dragon Quest XI:S (still on the demo, didn't realise it was about ten hours, that's the more than I stick with most games so I might as well keep playing this until I either get bored or want to continue. I would have saved thousands of pounds on the eShop if every big game had a two-hour demo or something). 

- Ys VIII (another cheerful, head in the sand type game which I played for ten hours or so and got bored but I keep seeing it pop up as some minor classic so I'll give it another go).

- ESP Ra.De. Psi (I can't get past stage four yet but I'm having a beast of a time with it, not really got that lazy Chrimbo limbo vibe but sometimes you need shaking out of your stupor for twenty minutes).

- Darius Cozmic Collection (not sure exactly why but I bought the expensive Consumer Edition of this on sale on the Japanese eShop, I thought it was a compilation of both versions they released so I could flog my physical import copy and have everything in one place. It's just a compilation of the home console 8/16-bit ports from the mega expensive physical edition. Forty quid for the Master System version of Sagaia and a PC Engine Darius game and a few others. Actually, turns out they're brilliant and it's also got me back into the arcade collection featuring Darius Gaiden, the absolute champ).

I also really feel tempted to start BotW again. Hmm.

• Upvote 1

Thank you to whoever it was sharing their experience of using these about a month ago. I read with interest and got some for Christmas. I recommend then to anybody who plays a lot in handheld mode. It’s so much more comfortable.

148BB607-4F79-4969-AB49-582026C23077.jpeg

• Upvote 6

Yeah, probably was me. I'd say having played with them for about a month or so, I definitely prefer the Hori Split to the Satisfye but they're not quite as comfortable. I think that was my initial conclusion, as well. Satisfye is 10 for comfort, 8 for sticks and buttons. Hori is 8 for comfort, 10 for sticks and buttons. The D-pad is better than the Pro Controller, though, so it makes shmups and fighting games even more viable in handheld than on the telly. 

• Upvote 1

Children of Morta is amazing 

Flew completely under my radar. I don’t even like games like Diablo but this has blown  away. My hidden gem of the year. 

• Upvote 3

I had a great few hours this afternoon trying out the games I bought in the sale last week. I already knew I like Carcassonne, but I’m really pleased with Sayonara Wild Hearts and Gris. Both seem perfect post-Christmas games, to enjoy with a drink and a mince pie, for some reason.

• Upvote 1

Sayonara Wild Hearts has an incredible soundtrack and a nice graphic style but it seems to be just yet another into-the-screen auto runner. I’m really not seeing how people are proclaiming it’s a possible GOTY when it’s just a reskin of a trillion other near identical games. This one doesn’t even have a hook like rhythm matching or anything. Unless I’m missing something? 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Marvin Morris said:

Thank you to whoever it was sharing their experience of using these about a month ago. I read with interest and got some for Christmas. I recommend then to anybody who plays a lot in handheld mode. It’s so much more comfortable.

148BB607-4F79-4969-AB49-582026C23077.jpeg

1 hour ago, Gloomy Andy said:

It was @Stanshall if I'm remembering correctly

I really want a set but think it'll be overkill considering I already have a Satisfye grip

I got some too for Christmas and can also second this.

I have bought seemingly every grip going for the Switch with varying levels of success (Skull & Co one probably the best) but this also gives you full size sticks and buttons which makes a huge difference. Love it. Only minus really is the lack of motion controls