rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

Annapurna published games tend to get released physical by iam8bit (Sayonara Wild Hearts, Wattam) so would totally expect them to release one of their most popular titles last year as well.

FFS. Obvious trap is obvious.

Just looked up online and Outer Worlds is getting a physical release (as a code in a box). 

1 minute ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Just looked up online and Outer Worlds is getting a physical release (as a code in a box). 

yeah, and of my twitter friends is not happy...

It still amazes me that neither publisher flinched and changed the name to something a bit less similar.

• Upvote 5

Caught me out in here, too.

I left my post up, because if I'm an idiot, I'm going to own up to it.

2 hours ago, Strafe said:

Just looked for some in game switch footage. Anyone seen any?

It makes me uneasy, to say the least.

There's something else I really appreciate about the Switch that I don't often see mentioned. One of the first things to wear out on newer handhelds is the sticks, or the buttons, rendering the thing broken unless it goes for repair. Joycons mean that the problem is no longer inbuilt and, assuming Switches themselves stand the test of time, it makes a point of failure easily fixable by replacement. I like that. 

This goes the other way, too: I've gone through three XBox360 pads over the decade before the rubber's gone, or the sticks have begun to drift, or the triggers lose their crispness. Modern controllers are a bit less basic than, say, that GameBoy that still works today, and I'm glad stuff like dodgy joycon sticks and intricate features like HD rumble aren't tied into the system. In fact, even the fact your controller is in two parts and if one breaks you only have to buy one second hand joycon is pretty good, too. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Yeah, but that’s not a physical release.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, sharak said:

More importantly... I wish someone would make a joy con with microswitches

I know it's not microswitches, but Hori do make quality stuff and this is great.  It's really comfy, the sticks feel great (with no poxy drift!), triggers are much better than the JoyCons and it's better for prolonged use.  No wireless, of course, no IR camera, no HD rumble...it's just a pad.  I love it.  

4 hours ago, sharak said:

OK thanks for the input. I don't have one on the Vita, PSP etc, but perhaps will for the switch.

I haven't had one on any of my handlheld consoles either, ever, until the Switch.  Using the dock a lot just worried me...

What's the latest thinking on extra docks. 

I want something that I can occasionally use downstairs without having to disassemble my dock etc from upstairs. 

I understand you need to use an original power supply. 

Is there anything that's recommended, preferably that can take a usb input and something that the switch can sit in/on rather than needing a separate stand. 

The official solution doesn't seem to be available anywhere reputable/at a decent price. 

43 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

I know it's not microswitches, but Hori do make quality stuff and this is great.  It's really comfy, the sticks feel great (with no poxy drift!), triggers are much better than the JoyCons and it's better for prolonged use.  No wireless, of course, no IR camera, no HD rumble...it's just a pad.  I love it.  

I haven't had one on any of my handlheld consoles either, ever, until the Switch.  Using the dock a lot just worried me...

hows the dpad on this?

1 hour ago, watusi said:

hows the dpad on this?

Good. Obviously better than the joycons buttons, much better than the pro controller d-pad.  Low with a concave. I've got a GameCube Switch pad here and I've just compared and it's very similar to that. 

The sticks are wonderful. Loads of range, really chunky and tall. But flick back to the deadzone quickly. Rubbery too, so no slip.

Nice low profile, quiet clicky triggers. Long, raised LB and RB. Only odd decision is weird, small squishy rubber start/share/+/-. But I suppose they are not important. Not used the extra triggers/autofire. 

Overall I give it 7 thumbs up out of 8!

Interesting.

Arguably the main odd decision is lack of wireless-ness? 

3 hours ago, Gloomy Andy said:

I want something that I can occasionally use downstairs without having to disassemble my dock etc from upstairs. 

Is there anything that's recommended, preferably that can take a usb input and something that the switch can sit in/on rather than needing a separate stand. 

The official solution doesn't seem to be available anywhere reputable/at a decent price. 

I have this (but in silver) - used with an official psu. Works fine, no problem with it. 

Have you looked on AVforums, as they do pop up on there now and again?

Got an itch for some WRPGs, anyone know how well Baldur's Gate runs on Switch?

What about Neverwinter Nights?

5 hours ago, Gloomy Andy said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078RZQJ8D/

Picked one of these up after someone posted about it in here and it works like a charm!

5 hours ago, Shrimp said:

Got an itch for some WRPGs, anyone know how well Baldur's Gate runs on Switch?

What about Neverwinter Nights?

Not sure what the W means but check out divinity 2. It could be GOAT

For those holding out for a Switch Pro this year, Nintendo's President Shuntaro Furukawa says the company won't release a new Switch model this year at their financial presentation. 

Nice. That means I can hopefully get one of the new Animal Crossing models if they actually release them over here

LOOK AT IT!

• Upvote 2

Extra info from Nintendo Life

The Animal Crossing: New Horizons Switch will launch in North America on 13th March and will be made available in Europe, Japan and Australia on 20th March, alongside the release of the game.

I'm totally getting one.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Flub said:

Extra info from Nintendo Life

The Animal Crossing: New Horizons Switch will launch in North America on 13th March and will be made available in Europe, Japan and Australia on 20th March, alongside the release of the game.

I'm totally getting one.

Excellent. Will be selling the existing Switch and scooping this.

The colour scheme reminds me of the Tales Gamecube (in a good way).

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pavey said:

The colour scheme reminds me of the Tales Gamecube (in a good way).

Yep. That was glorious. 

I don't know why a "Switch Pro"  is even being discussed, in all honesty. Have they ever made a "Pro" before? I know XBOX and PS have done so, but I'm not sure I like the idea anyway. 

1 hour ago, Flub said:

Nice. That means I can hopefully get one of the new Animal Crossing models if they actually release them over here

LOOK AT IT!

Damn those Nintendo peeps...

I don’t even really like the joy cons and yet I want those ones. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, skittles said:

Not sure what the W means but check out divinity 2. It could be GOAT

Stands for Women’s.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, sharak said:

I don't know why a "Switch Pro"  is even being discussed, in all honesty. Have they ever made a "Pro" before? I know XBOX and PS have done so, but I'm not sure I like the idea anyway. 

They made the New 3DS, which was more powerful than the existing one. But apart from that I don't think they have.