rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

I'm probably 80% PS4 and 20% Switch but varies massively depending on what I am playing. Some of this is natural due to Switch titles often more expensive than PS4 (Dragon Quest XI is a good example). Indie titles too I'll generally pick up on PS4 because I like trophies/achievements, but generally don't care as much for short narrative experiences.

Switch is mostly played handheld around the house and a little bit in coffee shops. I like tabletop at my desk too.

Time for another Zelda screeny. Getting into this, but there’s obviously so, so much to do. Eak.

I have a PS4 and an Xbox One. I don’t use the One, but do game quite a bit on the PS4. Perhaps 50-50 ish. 

9 hours ago, Popo said:

Did I miss something with this, or is it just NSMBU but with Luigi? Can’t you choose Luigi as a playable character in NSMBU? I’m sure I’ve misunderstood what it’s about. 

Yeah, they're reimaginings of the normal levels only you've only got 100 seconds to do them all so the music is all fast. Luigi is like the Luigi from Super Mario Bros. 2 on the Nes so he's all floaty and tough to control and the levels are all changed but still resemble the ones in the normal game. Can blast through it quite quickly but getting all the star coins and secret exits is a proper platforming challenge. If you like 2d platformers it's great. 

• Upvote 1

Ooh, are we doing "proportion of time gaming by machine"? How exciting. I guess I'm something like: 

70% PC

15% Switch

7.5% BoneX

7.5% PS4

I rarely take my Switch with me on the train any more (I don't have it today, despite being on a two hour, single train commute), primarily because of the lack of wireless headphone support. It just adds a layer of inconvenience that I can't be arsed with - I already have to take two work laptops, a work phone, a wireless headset and my own phone as a bare minimum, so another console and a set of wired headphones is more than I can be bothered with. 

• Upvote 1

My gaming focus is whichever platform I'm obsessing about at the moment. I got an up to date gaming PC just over a year ago and never touched my PS4/XBox since. Previously I was PS4 and then switched that to mainly XBox X with occasional weeks where I obsess over a MMO on pc.

So for the past year I've been randomly switching between my PC and Switch. The last few weeks have been almost entirely switch. Loads of Pinball and Atelier Ryza. Once I finish Ryza I may be moving back to the PC...to play Atelier Sophie. Depends though. I'm not sure what's going on in Feb but March has the dual whammy of Animal Crossing and Doom Eternal.

My PS4 Pro and XBox X are basically monitor stands at the moment and I'm struggling to get excited about their incoming replacements. New Switch though? I'd be all over that shit.

• Upvote 1

I’m honestly about 50/50 between Switch and PS4.

Bit of Switch on the commute (and the odd rainy lunch break) and then PS4 in the sacred 10pm-11pm slot after the missus has gone to bed. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Ooh, are we doing "proportion of time gaming by machine"? How exciting. I guess I'm something like: 

70% PC

15% Switch

7.5% BoneX

7.5% PS4

I rarely take my Switch with me on the train any more (I don't have it today, despite being on a two hour, single train commute), primarily because of the lack of wireless headphone support. It just adds a layer of inconvenience that I can't be arsed with - I already have to take two work laptops, a work phone, a wireless headset and my own phone as a bear minimum, so another console and a set of wired headphones is more than I can be bothered with. 

I'd agree with the lack of wireless headphone support being a really annoying issue with the Switch now, in 2020.

A new model has to support wireless bluetooth headphones, surely. It's so frustrating that it doesn't already.

Me percentage wise - 

PS4 Pro - 50% 

Switch - 30% 

Retro - 20% 

Xbox One S - 0% 

That's about right, I love digging into games on my big screen in the living room the most. The Switch I play usual during my lunch break at work, and my Retro consoles hooked to my PVM is also some great fun. It usually depends on what game I'm playing as I tend to play one game at a time. 

My Xbox One is just an occasional Netflix machine. I've even found myself playing The PS3 versions of prior games if I want to revisit them, rather than booting up the Xbox for BC. It's just so fucking crap with the worse UI ever made. 

26 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I'd agree with the lack of wireless headphone support being a really annoying issue with the Switch now, in 2020.

A new model has to support wireless bluetooth headphones, surely. It's so frustrating that it doesn't already.

It probably does it you hack it and run android. Nintendo lock it out so that 8 joycons can connect, or something. So it's to do with that. Ironically my ageing Vita connected to my Airpods without breaking a sweat. Bloody Nintendo.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, sharak said:

It probably does it you hack it and run android. Nintendo lock it out so that 8 joycons can connect, or something. So it's to do with that. Ironically my ageing Vita connected to my Airpods without breaking a sweat. Bloody Nintendo.

Which in itself is a stupid reason to lock BT audio out of a system that 99% of the time for most people most definitely won't have 8 joycons connected. It's frustrating. At least give us the choice. I don't even own more than 3 joycons (I broke one).

I completely agree, @Flub, I understand why, in some kind of "Apple-esque" approach to telling the customer what to do, but this is why I preferr(red) Sony for a bit for a few things because of media support (PS3, Vita). Sony took a step back with the PS4.

Anyway, for the Switch, Nintendo should allow A2DP BT audio. This shouldn't even be a discussion topic. If 8 controllers (or whatever the limit is) are connected, who the hell also has a pair of headphones connected at that point? I guess a BT Speaker? But 8 people aren't sitting around a Switch anyway. Even 8 Japanese children. Urgh.

51 minutes ago, sharak said:

All consoles with a wireless controller don’t have built-in Bluetooth support. Not just Nintendo’s.

Hopefully that changes next gen.

3 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

All consoles with a wireless controller don’t have built-in Bluetooth support. Not just Nintendo’s.

Hopefully that changes next gen.

PS3 did.

image.png.9b591e6f18cf3fa0a8c683f8807a9b54.png

And, PS4 and Xbox do if you have "correct" headphones.

7 minutes ago, sharak said:

PS3 did.

image.png.9b591e6f18cf3fa0a8c683f8807a9b54.png

And, PS4 and Xbox do if you have "correct" headphones.

and it played older PlayStation games! :quote:

Mental. I wonder what changed so that now you need the wee dongle?

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

and it played older PlayStation games! :quote:

Mental. I wonder what changed so that now you need the wee dongle?

For whatever reason, Sony locked things down a little more. Don't know why, but it transformed the extremely useful and impressive PS3 into the cumbersome PS4 one. The PS4 is great, but it's ridiculously limiting in quite a few ways. 

It's one thing I permitted from Sony entering the race, was their AV credentials. And now it's a mess as they lock it all down. Pisses me off. Topics for another thread, mind.

So wait, sorry for further off topic chat, is there a way for me to use bluetooth headphones on my PS4 even if they're not the dedicated "gamer" ones?

57 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

So wait, sorry for further off topic chat, is there a way for me to use bluetooth headphones on my PS4 even if they're not the dedicated "gamer" ones?

You need a dongle, because it's 2020 not 2006.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

Ah okay. A USB thing that I plug into the PS4? My main controller doesn't have a headphone port so the 3.5mm adapter wouldnt work.

This *might* work 

http://amzn.to/2O7l7Av

but I guarantee nothing!

• Upvote 1

Are there any good Bluetooth adapters for Switch? When I commute I have to get my Switch out of my bag, my glasses out, then my headphones. I look like a nerdy Mary Poppins (BIG BAG REFERENCE)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mugman said:

Are there any good Bluetooth adapters for Switch? When I commute I have to get my Switch out of my bag, my glasses out, then my headphones. I look like a nerdy Mary Poppins (BIG BAG REFERENCE)

This isn't cheap but looks the best. Bear in mind, Nintendo can simply release an update to enable this, if they pull their head out of their bottoms.

• Upvote 1

Just now, sharak said:

This isn't cheap but looks the best. Bear in mind, Nintendo can simply release an update to enable this, if they pull their head out of their bottoms.

Cheers, but it's a little rich for my blood. Plus the red and blue doesn't go brilliantly with my grey adults console for adults.

Just now, Mugman said:

Cheers, but it's a little rich for my blood. Plus the red and blue doesn't go brilliantly with my grey adults console for adults.

There's a grey-grey option :D

Yeah it's expensive but slim. Not sure what else to suggest tbh, other than tweet at Nintendo.

• Upvote 1

Had an awesome evening filled with remasters of neo-retro games on my Switch.

Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 and Code of Princess Ex are just so much fun.