rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

21 minutes ago, wullie said:

It's not something specific to BOTW either really, Ocarina of Time never grabbed me in the way that Link to the Past did and I didn't get on with Twilight Princess like I did with Minish Cap. I think there's something in me that just likes my Zeldas top-down, my coffee hot and my men strong yet vulnerable.

Same here. Except BOTW. Because BOTW is more like Assassin's Creed than a 3D Zelda.

I really enjoyed Mario & Rabbids, but is the Donkey Kong DLC good? It's currently £5.99 on the eshop.

2 minutes ago, suzzopher said:

I really enjoyed Mario & Rabbids, but is the Donkey Kong DLC good? It's currently £5.99 on the eshop.

It's excellent and quite extensive. Definitely worth six quid.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Darren said:

It's excellent and quite extensive. Definitely worth six quid.

Noice thanks, I’ll grab it.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, sharak said:

Does anyone have experience with a D-pad mod such as this?

image.png.6944343906e0c6c7902da367ca1fe483.png

Yup....

IMG_5204.thumb.jpg.71e9137216a76d0429f3508f81f37177.jpg

The D-pad is superb, genuinely as good as any I've ever used which is kind of amazing considering it's just a bit of plastic that sits over the button switch thingies!!

It's one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MaLife-Controller-Replacement-Electronics-D-Pad-Watermelon-Joycon-Red/dp/B0811SGRP4/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=switch%2Bjoycon%2Bdpad&qid=1580844466&sr=8-14&th=1

I've also just seen these ones which get rather good reviews and come in a huge range of colours (I'm loving the wood look ones!!):  https://www.amazon.co.uk/eXtremeRate-Classics-Handheld-Controller-Replacement-D-NES-Style/dp/B07WZDGSTJ/ref=pd_aw_sbs_107_10?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07Z6HP48N&pd_rd_r=58d9a26b-6605-4fb6-860f-008ad25c1bfb&pd_rd_w=G3Jg1&pd_rd_wg=cpnoJ&pf_rd_p=0208d703-a674-4413-8899-c3889837d212&pf_rd_r=PY2M9NN292VM0GM2FTES&refRID=PY2M9NN292VM0GM2FTES&th=1 

One slight word of warning, it's a rather fiddly fit so if you do want to go for them I'd recommend watching a YouTube vid first so you can see what you're gonna have to be doing :)

• Upvote 2

Superb @womble9!! Thank you :)

A local seller actually has a set for sale that he’s made up, transparent cases. I kind of think it’ll be very useful for the arcade games I have, as analog controls kind of feel weird a lot of the time.

• Upvote 1

If the d pad is the same as mine you’ll not be disapointed at all. It’s great :)

• Upvote 1

Nintendo have got back to me about my Switch, which wouldn't start any games, either from card or the internal storage. The email from repairs just said "damage due to disc read error".

Called up customer services (evidently offshore) who seemed to have no idea why that category was chosen, and apparently the main board needs replacing. £53.50. They couldn't say whether the replacement board would be a die shrink.

Anyone else had to have a main board repair?

On 03/02/2020 at 19:13, Jamie John said:

Edge gave it a 3. #justsayin

Review up on Friday, but having played it I think a 3 is harsh. It isn't great, but it does some really good things. I think the price might be high for what it offers though and might be worth it in a sale. 

On 04/02/2020 at 12:00, sharak said:

For the record, i agree and understand all points. For me, I would like to get some decent weapons and armour, finish the more interesting side quests, and main quests, then complete the game. My realistic target is the end of this year, ready for the sequel. 

I very much like the game and enjoy playing it but yeah, it's a bit of a time sink. Plus, some of the fighting controls, general controls, and camera angles can frustrate me a little.

Does anyone have experience with a D-pad mod such as this?

image.png.6944343906e0c6c7902da367ca1fe483.png

Have you seen these joycons?

Official Nintendo Licensed D-Pad Joy-Con Left Mario Version for Nintendo Switch https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FSR93MQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_I30oEbM9E0T5S

Can only use them in handheld mode though

D52EA6E3-E280-4FED-99A9-A16779B540FE.thumb.jpeg.487d9b00f9d242937951519852e17d15.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Thanks @Kryptonian; but alas, I have.

I’d be all over it if it had the ability to be played with my flip grip. Without that feature, there’s little point in me getting one.

HD rumble would be nice, sure, but there needs to be this controller with wireless enabled.

• Upvote 1

@deKay, the Switch version of The Outer Worlds is getting a physical release now. 

• Upvote 1

What's a decent size MicroSD card to get and is it worth getting a Switch specific one? 

I don't plan on buying a huge amount of digital games, just the ones that go on sale at a cheaper price than the physical version. 

On 04/02/2020 at 11:24, wullie said:

I have to confess my sins, I've had to admit defeat with Breath of the Wild. I know it's amazing and I would absolutely obsess with it once I got so far in but there's just too much of it for me to get there. It's the same thing I've had with the previous 3D titles where I'll get so far but eventually be overawed, whereas the 2D games have been more up my street. Traded for Link's Awakening (without spending any actual money, can't believe how much Switch games retain their value)

Sold mine the other day.

However not feeling bad about it! I just never got on with the game. Despite trying two or three times to play it just never grabbed me and felt more of a chore to play than fun.

There is no hard and fast rule to say "you must like BoTW". Personally found it to be the only Zelda I've not really enjoyed. Not sure why. Just didn't. 

Agree its amazing how much value Nintendo games hold.  Bought it a couple of years ago and just sold it for £5 less than what I paid for it! 

Onwards and upwards life is to short to try and endure with things when you are getting no joy from them! Move on. No guilt here. Now if Nintendo did a HD version of OoT for the Switch I'd pick that up because I 95% finished that back in the day. Never got time to nail that last 5%. I'd love to play through that again now that I have something portable to play it on! :)

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Avuncular said:

What's a decent size MicroSD card to get and is it worth getting a Switch specific one? 

Depends. 128GB is enough for most people. 512GB is for me. Don't get a Switch specific one. Samsung Evo cards are a good bet.

3 hours ago, Avuncular said:

I don't plan on buying a huge amount of digital games, just the ones that go on sale at a cheaper price than the physical version. 

You can always get a bigger card later.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, MattyP said:

Is this a thing?

A square Direct video using graphic overlays that Nintendo haven't used in two years or more? Yeah, it's definitely real.

EDIT: And posted on the 1st of April last year? That seals the deal.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, mdn2 said:

@deKay, the Switch version of The Outer Worlds is getting a physical release now. 

What would they have released the physical version on if the team didn't get coronavirus?

5 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

What would they have released the physical version on if the team didn't get coronavirus?

They were selling the “physical version” as a box with a download code.

11 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

The team didn't get the coronavirus, it's just Virtuos in China have shut down because of the outbreak so the game has been delayed. This must have given them enough time to get a physical cart version ready instead. 

5 hours ago, Avuncular said:

Depends on how big the digital games are really. I'm full digital and have a 512gb card. If all you're downloading is small indie titles just get a 128gb maybe? You've got a cheap path to upgrade to a 256 later if you need to. There's zero need to get a Switch branded one unless you like the idea of having a logo on a card you never see.

• Upvote 1