rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

Playing unraveled 2 at the moment (~£6.50 in the sale). It's lovely really enjoying it. The artwork is great it's a really chill out platformer/puzzler.

11 hours ago, deKay said:

According to Eurogamer, yes. But it’s not on the Nintendo site yet.

downloading now on the uk store 

I thought this might be about the battle system. Presumably Xenoblade's bedfellow FFXII isn't a 'True JRPG', with its similar masked turn-based battle system. You could slap FFVI into a huge open world MMO map and give it some MMO elements and it'd still remain a JRPG. Purists!

3 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

So basically it’s not a JRPG because you don’t like the battle system and want nice familiar menu based combat. Got it.

Funnily enough, I’d say your description is a fair one for Xenoblade Chronicles X. But Xenoblade 1 & 2 are character-driven JRPGs through and through. There’s more to an RPG than the battle system. 

It depends how loose you are with the definition of a JRPG. The multitude of horrible loot drop side quests that rely on RNG for a chance of a drop are straight out of MMORPG's.

The battle system isn't something that needs to be set in stone for a JRPG, I welcome innovation in fact, but not when it's lifted directly from MMORPG's. The accepted MMORPG battle system is unsatisfying and generally very boring. That precludes it's inclusion from the JRPG genre alone, let alone the above.

It is, plainly, ripped directly from MMORPG mechanics. Which is why it's tiresome, I persisted with it for bloody ages and I can play just about any JRPG. I consider myself the JRPG arbiter and I've made my judgment.

3 hours ago, donpeartree said:

So an RPG, then. 

A Japanese RPG.

Wrong. It's an RPG. Which is what I said.

44 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Wrong. It's an RPG. Which is what I said.

"Wrong! It's not an RPG! It's an RPG!" :lol:

If I’m transferring one switch to another is it pretty easy to do? Got an extended battery model to replace my battered original. 

2 hours ago, donpeartree said:

"Wrong! It's not an RPG! It's an RPG!" :lol:

You're failing to get it. Xenoblade is a bog standard RPG with horrible mechanics, a grating main character and very few, if any, redeeming features.

18 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Piffle, my good man. And I say that as a former fan of the DQ games. If I had to make a top 5 best JRPG's, it would be:

1. Xenoblade Chronicles

2. Skies of Arcadia

3. Grandia

4. Final Fantasy XII

5. Chronotrigger

Dragon Quest VIII would probably just be outside my top 5, however. 

List is upside down!!!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Adrock said:

You're failing to get it. Xenoblade is a bog standard RPG with horrible mechanics, a grating main character and very few, if any, redeeming features.

I don't like it, either. Doesn't mean it's not a JRPG.

1 hour ago, Adrock said:

And where, perchance, was this RPG you speak of developed? 

Biannual 'this is one hell of a console' post. I've currently got the following on the go, all of which I really want to play more:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore

Bloodstained Ritual of the Night

Groove Coaster Wai Wai Party!!!!

Fire Emblem: Three Houses Expansion

ESP Ra.De. Psy

Astral Chain

AI: The Somnium Files

Darius Cozmic Collection

Luigi's Mansion 3

Psikyo Shooting Stars Alpha

Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Steins;Gate Elite

SEGA AGES Sonic 2

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy

Demon's Tilt

Katamari Damacy Reroll

VOEZ

Link's Awakening

I could also throw in The Witcher 3, Dragon Quest XI:S, Yoshi's Crafted World, Pokemon Sword, Daemon X Machina, Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker, Fire Emblem Warriors, Undertale, Divinity Original Sin II and Super Mario Maker 2 as games I have really enjoyed and temporarily put aside but which I fully intend to go back to. And that's not counting the other thirty or so games installed which I will dip into sporadically like Rolling Gunner, Dark Souls Remastered, Psyvariar Delta, Skyrim, Valkyria Chronicles, Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection, Ikaruga, Lapis X Labyrinth, Splatoon 2, BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle and goddamn Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

This is one hell of a console. Just had to get it off my chest. 

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Mugman said:

And where, perchance, was this RPG you speak of developed? 

So any RPG developed in Japan is a JRPG? :quote:

Winning Eleven is my favourite JRPG.

Spoiler

Japanese Rule Playing Game

• Upvote 3

As to Xenoblade: as someone who's played every single Xenoblade game I have to agree with its critics. To me, it feels like the devs got lucky with the very first Xenoblade or did a particularly good job with it. X and 2 were dramatically worse.

31 minutes ago, alex3d said:

As to Xenoblade: as someone who's played every single Xenoblade game I have to agree with its critics. To me, it feels like the devs got lucky with the very first Xenoblade or did a particularly good job with it. X and 2 were dramatically worse.

2 and the stand alone DLC are fantastic, one of the best JRPG's I've played in the last 3 years, and that includes Tokyo Mirage and DQ XI

• Upvote 1

What a waste of a Direct. We don’t need to know more about Animal Crossing - we need to know less!

• Upvote 6

Does anyone know if the “conductive foam  to improve the range of the joy con” fix also works on a Pro controller?

Got a new Pro controller and it’s range is demonstrably worse than another I have (like putting something between the controller and the Switch will see it struggle to communicate, button presses not register etc).  Was wondering if the foam trick might work. 

5 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

Are there examples of a JRPG that aren't Japanese in origin?

Yes. Battle Chasers: Nightwar (which is on switch, it's decent). The best known is probably Secret of Evermore from the JRPG golden era, although that is from a Japanese company ultimately. 

Arguably the South Park RPGs. 

Also Anachronox, which is not only the best Western JRPG, it's one of the best JRPG's ever made full stop.

• Upvote 1