Nintendo Switch

On 14/04/2020 at 10:45, wretcherd said:

PSA: If you use separate joycons, you can set SL and SR as usable buttons!

This is actually quite handy, thanks!

Also thanks to this update I can now play NES games undocked, the default button config for them was shite. Hurray!

On 09/04/2020 at 21:17, Dr Nookie said:

Additional Gris feedback whether you want it or not....it really is a remarkable gaming experience. You can play through without that much thought and just enjoy the visual and audio landscape which makes it a terrific bit of escapism. Graphically, aside from its overall fantastic look, what amazes me is amount of detail that they could easily have left out and yet they’ve taken the time to include. Little animations here and there you can just sit and watch - just bloody buy it if you haven’t - it’s beautiful. 

Gris is a magnificent game. Looks and sounds beautiful, and is the only game I've ever played to make me cry.

When I realised what it was about, it was like a gut punch. 

Spoiler

Having lost my mum a couple of years ago, when I realised the game is a representation of the process of grief after Gris lost hers, it hit me hard. Obviously brought back a lot of hard memories for me, and when it got to the end, I was blubbing.

I did find it therapeutic in a way, to recognise the metaphors and how they applied to me. I don't want to oversell it or anything, I'm not saying this game made me come to terms with my loss, or anything like that, but it did help a bit.

I'm thankful to the makers of the game for that.

It's the first (and so far only) videogame I've ever had a genuine emotional connection with.

With Switch online, given that my wife and I both share the same switch (but have different user accounts) and only want to play Animal Crossing online, visiting our friends’ islands, will one online account cover us or do we need a family pack? 

1 hour ago, lau said:

With Switch online, given that my wife and I both share the same switch (but have different user accounts) and only want to play Animal Crossing online, visiting our friends’ islands, will one online account cover us or do we need a family pack? 

Family pack. :( 

My Switch Lite purchased from Currys Digital Ebay store 2 weeks ago has a dodgy analogue stick (now completely unusable) so have started the eBay return process and emailed them about getting a replacement. I purchased all my games on digital though: Animal Crossing via a CD Keys code from UK store, another couple from the UK store (and a year's online sub) then Zelda BOTW from the South African Nintendo Eshop.

1) How do I wipe a Switch Lite before returning it?

2) Will all my titles be available to download once I link the replacement Switch to my Nintendo Account? How do I back up saves?

Thanks

@Baz

Save Backups

System Settings > Data Management > Save Data Cloud

You can check there which save data is/isn't backed up to the server, and if it's not for a certain game then you can do it manually. Looking now, I have about ten of 400+ games which have not automatically backed up, for reasons unknown.

Some games unfortunately don't support cloud backup, including Pokemon Sword/Shield, Splatoon 2, Dark Souls Remastered and Daemon X Machina. Animal Crossing doesn't appear anywhere, not even in the 'Not Supported' list so I suspect you'll be out of luck with that one. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 

Games

No issue with this. Just sign into your replacement Switch with your account and you can download them all again via All Software > Redownload Software. 

Wipe

No issue with this. System Settings > System (very bottom) > Formatting Options > Restore Factory Settings. 

Good luck. 

4 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

@Baz

Save Backups

System Settings > Data Management > Save Data Cloud

You can check there which save data is/isn't backed up to the server, and if it's not for a certain game then you can do it manually. Looking now, I have about ten of 400+ games which have not automatically backed up, for reasons unknown.

Some games unfortunately don't support cloud backup, including Pokemon Sword/Shield, Splatoon 2, Dark Souls Remastered and Daemon X Machina. Animal Crossing doesn't appear anywhere, not even in the 'Not Supported' list so I suspect you'll be out of luck with that one. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 

Games

No issue with this. Just sign into your replacement Switch with your account and you can download them all again via All Software > Redownload Software. 

Wipe

No issue with this. System Settings > System (very bottom) > Formatting Options > Restore Factory Settings. 

Good luck. 

Thanks for the info. Holy shit, no way to back up Animal Crossing save data?! That is ridiculous.

From what I now read online many people have had problems with their Switch Lite analogue sticks. I am a bit peeved I didn't purchase these games physically as originally planned..

I suppose I don't have any option but to wipe the Switch, send it back and decide whether to try again? I can't get back the £100 spent on games either way or the time spent on Animal Crossing. Whilst maintaining perspective, it is still a bit bloody annoying! Plus we're fully self isolating and I've got to figure out how to return it.

If I contact Nintendo are they gonna tell me to do one having purchased a game from the South African shop?

3 minutes ago, Baz said:

From what I now read online many people have had problems with their Switch Lite analogue sticks. I am a bit peeved I didn't purchase these games physically as originally planned..

I suppose I don't have any option but to wipe the Switch, send it back and decide whether to try again? I can't get back the £100 spent on games either way or the time spent on Animal Crossing. Whilst maintaining perspective, it is still a bit bloody annoying! Plus we're fully self isolating and I've got to figure out how to return it.

If I contact Nintendo are they gonna tell me to do one having purchased a game from the South African shop?

Or, if you're mildly technically minded, you could swap the stick out, there are guides online and no warranty stickers to remove to show you've been in there.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Ash said:

They plan on allowing one recovery of animal crossing data at some point 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-02-26-animal-crossing-autosave-cloud-saving-data-recovery-transfer-new-horizons-7018

Yep which of course means it DOES backup but they won't let you access it because you're supposed to give a shit about other people you never meet cheating.

It's the single dumbest thing Ninty do and I hate it.

1 hour ago, Alexlotl said:

Any offers for Switch Online our there? My wife and daughter want to visit other people’s Animal Crossing towns, so it would need to be family. 

It’s a wee bit cheaper from ShopTo:

https://www.shopto.net/en/ndo10001830-nintendo-switch-online-12-month-365-day-p61002/

CDKeys were selling it cheaper too, which is where I got mine. It’s showing as out of stock there, however :hmm:

3 hours ago, Baz said:

Just on the eShop thing, there's absolutely nothing dodgy about this from Nintendo's point of view. They chose to make the Switch region free. 

On the other stuff, I'm sorry to hear that. Crap timing and bad luck. 

4 hours ago, Baz said:

I suppose I don't have any option but to wipe the Switch, send it back and decide whether to try again? I can't get back the £100 spent on games either way

Just redownload the games on your replacement Switch.

I finally bought Odyssey ‘for the kids’ after deliberating for some time. In the space of one day the 4 year old is locked in. Amazingly adept already - it’s great to watch. 
So there you go, I’m nearly 3 years behind and who wants to read about this now but regardless it’s a quality bit of entertainment. 

My son is brilliant at the speed running challenges, I don't have the patience for that these days but he is really enjoying beating all the gold Koopas.