Jump to content
rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

Recommended Posts

Anyone still looking for a Switch right now, StockInformer are great but don’t rely on the email notifications - by the time they go out the shops are often out of stock. Keep the website open with the option ticked for an alarm sound audio notification when they find any as these are up to 5-10 min earlier it seems. By doing this I had ordered and just received my order confirmation email as the email alert came in. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son has managed to bag a switch which hasn’t arrived yet .  Is it possible to set up a switch account prior to its arrival to take advantage of the current sale ? Or alternatively should I set up a profile on my switch in order for him to buy the games he wants then transfer ?

thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not an expert but setting him up a profile on your switch and buying the games is probably the best bet. He can then sign into his profile on the new switch and make that the primary console. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, McCoy said:

I'm not an expert but setting him up a profile on your switch and buying the games is probably the best bet. He can then sign into his profile on the new switch and make that the primary console. 

Grand, thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought ShopTo were above being money grubbing bastards, but no.

 

1626569543_Screenshot2020-04-11at20_09_03.thumb.png.d0265f8269abb9c4ed6c66de25f713e5.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's arrived. It's very small. Super Mario Odyssey is utterly sublime! How long does the charge last on the joycons? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can currently pre-order the Xenoblade Chronicles remaster from Amazon.fr for about £28 delivered. According to HUKD, where I heard about the deal, they don't take your money until dispatch and the exchange rate may have changed then, but I've taken a punt on it anyway and will decide whether or not to keep it closer to the time. Bear in mind that the writing on the box may be in French, too, although sometimes this isn't the case: my version of BOTW is from the Saudi Arabia (I think) and all the writing is in English.

 

I'm hoping for a French language option with subtitles so I don't have to listen to the bloody English voice acting.

 

"Je le sens vraiment!" <_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/04/2020 at 17:33, mdn2 said:

Speaking of incredibly pretty games, this looks stunning. :wub:

 

 

 

Looks heavily influenced by the Boku no Natsuyasumi games—purposefully so, I imagine. Lovely design.It has the potential to be a great summer game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jamie John said:

You can currently pre-order the Xenoblade Chronicles remaster from Amazon.fr for about £28 delivered. According to HUKD, where I heard about the deal, they don't take your money until dispatch and the exchange rate may have changed then, but I've taken a punt on it anyway and will decide whether or not to keep it closer to the time. Bear in mind that the writing on the box may be in French, too, although sometimes this isn't the case: my version of BOTW is from the Saudi Arabia (I think) and all the writing is in English.

 

I'm hoping for a French language option with subtitles so I don't have to listen to the bloody English voice acting.

 

"Je le sens vraiment!" <_<


Allez-oop!

  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, deKay said:

I thought ShopTo were above being money grubbing bastards, but no.

 

1626569543_Screenshot2020-04-11at20_09_03.thumb.png.d0265f8269abb9c4ed6c66de25f713e5.png

 

To be fair, it's a poorly labelled advert but it does come with a game at that price.  Without a game it's £199, which is whatever we're calling the concept of RRPs now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dudley said:

 

To be fair, it's a poorly labelled advert but it does come with a game at that price.  Without a game it's £199, which is whatever we're calling the concept of RRPs now.


I didn’t click through the email but you’re right. However, the ones without a game are out of stock so you’re being forced to buy Cars 3. This is Game-level bullshit.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just me, or is this a fiddly console to set up? I've had nothing but problems with the the Joycons/ Specifically the left one. I charged them both overnight by attaching to the Switch in the dock, but this morning, the left one warned me straight away about being low on charge. The right one was fine. The faff of un-pairing then pairing didn't seem to work. Then, the sky remote wouldn't work at all. In the end I unplugged all the Switch cables and left for a minute. Re-connected. Somehow paired the Joycons (what's all the stuff about re-ordering about?) and both Joycons show 100% and Sky remote now works.

 

Googling seems to suggest that these issue have been occurring since day one. I think I am going to get the Pro Controller. I will hardly play handheld, so seems like a sensible option. I am not a fan of the Joycons if I am honest. I can't get on with playing with them detached at all. And, I was a fan of the Wii Mote and Nunchuck set-up.

 

This sounds like nitpicking, but first impressions weren't typical Nintendo. The one thing however that remains unchallenged is the quality of the Nintendo games. Odyssey is utterly sublime. I got the yearly online for £13.99 from CDkeys  and didn't realise you got ALL of the NES and SNES games as part of that package. I somehow thought you only got 2 of each. Was impressed with the games available. I am hoping N64 games are coming as well?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@nightwaxon

 

I never had anything like those issues but the JC are certainly a bit fiddly. I've seldom used them since I got a Pro Controller. It's a fine pad, very comfortable. 

 

If you want to replace the JC at some stage purely for handheld use, I would recommend the Hori Split Pad Pro, which look massive but are well more comfortable and have better buttons, sticks, triggers. They don't have rumble or amiibo function but I've never missed either in handheld. 

 

No word on N64 games for Switch Online but Super Mario 64 is coming this year, but we don't yet know whether a remaster, remake or straight port. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nightwaxon said:

Is it just me, or is this a fiddly console to set up? I've had nothing but problems with the the Joycons/ Specifically the left one. I charged them both overnight by attaching to the Switch in the dock, but this morning, the left one warned me straight away about being low on charge. The right one was fine. The faff of un-pairing then pairing didn't seem to work. Then, the sky remote wouldn't work at all. In the end I unplugged all the Switch cables and left for a minute. Re-connected. Somehow paired the Joycons (what's all the stuff about re-ordering about?) and both Joycons show 100% and Sky remote now works.

 

Not sure what the Sky remote has to do with the Switch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got a switch and animal crossing and I am loving it. I also tried demos for both dragon quest xii and trials of mana, but the text size was so small for both on the switch screen (full size) that it strained my eyes a bit and I couldn’t see any option to make it bigger. Is this a common issue with games with lots of small text like rpgs? I think I’ve been spoiled by animal crossing and its MASSIVE AND EASY TO READ TEXT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, deKay said:


I didn’t click through the email but you’re right. However, the ones without a game are out of stock so you’re being forced to buy Cars 3. This is Game-level bullshit.

 

Oh yeah,  to be fair I've not used ShopTo until they went as far as putting notices on Amiibo pages that if it arrived damaged, fuck you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, deKay said:

 

Not sure what the Sky remote has to do with the Switch?

Neither am I. But it only started working again once I had unplugged anything Switch related from the TV, Amp and the plug socket. I've since updated theJoycons from the settings menu and all appears to be OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone got a magic fix for an unresponsive R button. Mines just gone on 3 month old new Right Joycon :-(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ork1927 said:

Anyone got a magic fix for an unresponsive R button. Mines just gone on 3 month old new Right Joycon :-(

Isopropyl Alcohol, squirted in there, press button lots, hope for the best.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Anyone got any tips to help prevent the finish coming off Joycons? :unsure: 


Wash your hands?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, deKay said:


Wash your hands?

If I washed them any more regularly at the moment, I wouldn’t have any layers of skin left...

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

Isopropyl Alcohol, squirted in there, press button lots, hope for the best.

 

 

 

Would contact cleaner do the same trick?

 

If it doesn’t work - is there a workaround for pressing l+r to pick controllers for certain games/multiplayer as I assume I’ve got no chance of getting it repaired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ork1927 said:

 

Would contact cleaner do the same trick?

 

If it doesn’t work - is there a workaround for pressing l+r to pick controllers for certain games/multiplayer as I assume I’ve got no chance of getting it repaired.

Contact cleaner could work, I've never tried it as I've only got IPA hanging around, but I susupect it would do the job, possibly better.

For best results, popping the shell off and getting directly to the micro switch would be your best bet.

 

If not, today's latest update allows for button remaping, but depending which L or R button it is, front of back, then it could be as simple as swapping out a ribbon cable.

 

**EDIT** after a quick check, it seems the ribbon is for ZR and ZL unfortunately,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

Contact cleaner could work, I've never tried it as I've only got IPA hanging around, but I susupect it would do the job, possibly better.

For best results, popping the shell off and getting directly to the micro switch would be your best bet.

 

If not, today's latest update allows for button remaping, but depending which L or R button it is, front of back, then it could be as simple as swapping out a ribbon cable.

 

**EDIT** after a quick check, it seems the ribbon is for ZR and ZL unfortunately,

 

Ta - looks like button remapping might save me in the interim.

 

Not sure I fancy taking it apart. Other plan was buy another set from Argos then return the bad one after the lock down for a refund and let them sort with Nintendo - but click and collect only plus £80 sat on a CC.

  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

 

Ta - looks like button remapping might save me in the interim.

 

Not sure I fancy taking it apart. Other plan was buy another set from Argos then return the bad one after the lock down for a refund and let them sort with Nintendo - but click and collect only plus £80 sat on a CC.

 

Just tested it, it works a charm :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally I can map the buttons so they match my other pads. What a birthday pressie Nintendo. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if they released it specifically as they can't fix them at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are some really extensive remapping options, five different custom configs for each separate joycon and a Pro controller too. I imagine there's a lot of Switch games that just became a whole lot more accessible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.