rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

From what I now read online many people have had problems with their Switch Lite analogue sticks. I am a bit peeved I didn't purchase these games physically as originally planned..

I suppose I don't have any option but to wipe the Switch, send it back and decide whether to try again? I can't get back the £100 spent on games either way or the time spent on Animal Crossing. Whilst maintaining perspective, it is still a bit bloody annoying! Plus we're fully self isolating and I've got to figure out how to return it.

If I contact Nintendo are they gonna tell me to do one having purchased a game from the South African shop?

3 minutes ago, Baz said:

From what I now read online many people have had problems with their Switch Lite analogue sticks. I am a bit peeved I didn't purchase these games physically as originally planned..

I suppose I don't have any option but to wipe the Switch, send it back and decide whether to try again? I can't get back the £100 spent on games either way or the time spent on Animal Crossing. Whilst maintaining perspective, it is still a bit bloody annoying! Plus we're fully self isolating and I've got to figure out how to return it.

If I contact Nintendo are they gonna tell me to do one having purchased a game from the South African shop?

Or, if you're mildly technically minded, you could swap the stick out, there are guides online and no warranty stickers to remove to show you've been in there.

Any offers for Switch Online our there? My wife and daughter want to visit other people’s Animal Crossing towns, so it would need to be family. 

1 hour ago, The Mighty Ash said:

They plan on allowing one recovery of animal crossing data at some point 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-02-26-animal-crossing-autosave-cloud-saving-data-recovery-transfer-new-horizons-7018

Yep which of course means it DOES backup but they won't let you access it because you're supposed to give a shit about other people you never meet cheating.

It's the single dumbest thing Ninty do and I hate it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alexlotl said:

Any offers for Switch Online our there? My wife and daughter want to visit other people’s Animal Crossing towns, so it would need to be family. 

It’s a wee bit cheaper from ShopTo:

https://www.shopto.net/en/ndo10001830-nintendo-switch-online-12-month-365-day-p61002/

CDKeys were selling it cheaper too, which is where I got mine. It’s showing as out of stock there, however :hmm:

• Upvote 1

Just asking for a relative: where can they buy a brand new full-fat Switch these days? (The regular model hasn’t gone out of production like how the New 3DS was replaced by the New 2DS XL, has it?)

3 hours ago, Baz said:

Just on the eShop thing, there's absolutely nothing dodgy about this from Nintendo's point of view. They chose to make the Switch region free. 

On the other stuff, I'm sorry to hear that. Crap timing and bad luck. 

4 hours ago, Baz said:

I suppose I don't have any option but to wipe the Switch, send it back and decide whether to try again? I can't get back the £100 spent on games either way

Just redownload the games on your replacement Switch.

I finally bought Odyssey ‘for the kids’ after deliberating for some time. In the space of one day the 4 year old is locked in. Amazingly adept already - it’s great to watch. 
So there you go, I’m nearly 3 years behind and who wants to read about this now but regardless it’s a quality bit of entertainment. 

• Upvote 1

I completed the main quest yesterday too. Can't wait to properly explore the world and hoover up the moons. Pure Nintendo magic. Loved it.

Odyssey is by a distance my favourite game on the Switch.

• Upvote 1

My son is brilliant at the speed running challenges, I don't have the patience for that these days but he is really enjoying beating all the gold Koopas.

2 hours ago, nightwaxon said:

I completed the main quest yesterday too. Can't wait to properly explore the world and hoover up the moons. Pure Nintendo magic. Loved it.

Just FYI, there's more story stuff after a certain number of moons. I'm avoiding any spoiler but I think the game might tell you how many at some point.

Really, @Stanshall? Would you spoiler it for me? It was 2 years ago so mince I last booted it up and I can’t remember if I did any of that. Maybe time to revisit if not!

4 minutes ago, Popo said:

Really, @Stanshall? Would you spoiler it for me? It was 2 years ago so mince I last booted it up and I can’t remember if I did any of that. Maybe time to revisit if not!

Spoiler

After 500 moons, another little section opens up with a particularly challenging stage. Once you've done that, you get a very satisfying ending. You can play on to 999 moons but the reward isn't worth it for me. No more story stuff, just a cosmetic thing. 

4 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Reveal hidden contents

After 500 moons, another little section opens up with a particularly challenging stage. Once you've done that, you get a very satisfying ending. You can play on to 999 moons but the reward isn't worth it for me. No more story stuff, just a cosmetic thing. 

Spoiler

Is that the dark side of the moon? if so I did get there but couldn’t beat the boss rush. 

I think that's right. I can't quite remember but sounds like you got there or thereabouts!

Is cdkeys the cheapest place for a digital copy of Odyssey? Asking for a friend who still hasn't played it.

:unsure:

I see there is a switch online sale on just now.  Are there any particularly good deals on it?

Sale ends today! I still want to buy Katamari Damacy Reroll which I think is 50% off but want to wait for my 512GB micro SS to arrive from Amazon so I don’t have to muck about too much with multiple downloads. Should be here tonight, but then it was supposed to be here by now! I don’t have coronavirus, I’m not complaining... :unsure:

2 hours ago, spork said:

Is cdkeys the cheapest place for a digital copy of Odyssey? Asking for a friend who still hasn't played it.

14p cheaper at shopto. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, spork said:

I think so. That’s where I got mine on Saturday. 

On 18/04/2020 at 07:41, Baz said:

My Switch Lite purchased from Currys Digital Ebay store 2 weeks ago has a dodgy analogue stick (now completely unusable) so have started the eBay return process and emailed them about getting a replacement. I purchased all my games on digital though: Animal Crossing via a CD Keys code from UK store, another couple from the UK store (and a year's online sub) then Zelda BOTW from the South African Nintendo Eshop.

1) How do I wipe a Switch Lite before returning it?

2) Will all my titles be available to download once I link the replacement Switch to my Nintendo Account? How do I back up saves?

Thanks

On 18/04/2020 at 08:26, The Mighty Ash said:

They plan on allowing one recovery of animal crossing data at some point 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-02-26-animal-crossing-autosave-cloud-saving-data-recovery-transfer-new-horizons-7018

Just as an update to this, Nintendo live chat were about as useful as a chocolate teapot. No possibility of retaining my Animal Crossing save file and no possibility of refunding my digital purchases if I decided against replacing my faulty Switch Lite until they sort out their hardware issues. Irritating.. and the guy on live chat was pretty rude too.

Now to decide whether to get a replacement Switch to play through these games or not. If you sell a Switch with digital games loaded do you have to leave it linked to your account?

5 minutes ago, Baz said:

If you sell a Switch with digital games loaded do you have to leave it linked to your account?

As far as I understand it yes! Which is much better than how Nintendo used to do it and tie them to the machine itself! Lost all my digital content when I bought a WiiU transferred my content and then couldn't transfer back to the the Wii I had when I sold the WiiU.....