rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

12 minutes ago, MattyP said:

As far as I understand it yes! Which is much better than how Nintendo used to do it and tie them to the machine itself! Lost all my digital content when I bought a WiiU transferred my content and then couldn't transfer back to the the Wii I had when I sold the WiiU.....

Is that not a bit dodgy then? Obviously you can remove all payment options etc from your Nintendo account details but still..

That sucks about losing all your digital content - if that had happened to me I'd be done with Nintendo.

Just now, Baz said:

Is that not a bit dodgy then? Obviously you can remove all payment options etc from your Nintendo account details but still..

That sucks about losing all your digital content - if that had happened to me I'd be done with Nintendo.

I wasn't very happy at the time but thankfully never really bought a huge amount of digital content. Just some virtual console games. :-)

This is why I am a bit dubious about buying digital content on the Switch... at least its now linked to your account. Hopefully going forward the content will still work on newer machines. We'll see I guess.

6 minutes ago, Baz said:

You're "not allowed" to resell the digital content and thus for them, not a problem.

• Upvote 1

@jonamok (i think it was you)

Are you still using that Switch upscaler device, and is it any good/recommended? Can't remember the name of it either.

19 hours ago, Baz said:

Just as an update to this, Nintendo live chat were about as useful as a chocolate teapot. No possibility of retaining my Animal Crossing save file and no possibility of refunding my digital purchases if I decided against replacing my faulty Switch Lite until they sort out their hardware issues. Irritating.. and the guy on live chat was pretty rude too.

Now to decide whether to get a replacement Switch to play through these games or not. If you sell a Switch with digital games loaded do you have to leave it linked to your account?

Would Currys Digital not send you the replacement first, so you can transfer everything across including the AC save, and then you can send the faulty machine back afterwards?  Amazon did this when my original switch developed a fault with the SD card slot.

I really need to play a new game on switch and could do with a couple of recommendations. I keep periodically buying new games, don't get me wrong, but just can't get into them --> my more recent damp squib recent purchases include: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (previously completed on PS4 but can't do with the first person perspective at all), Divinity Original Sin 2 (far far to complicated to play handheld), Balders Gate 1&2 (again too finicky to play), FFVII (I really struggled with the controller set up), Dragon Quest XI (boring :(), Astral Chain (just couldn't get into it - not really my kind of game I guess), Hollow Knight (great but too hard for me to want to be arsed with), Disgea 5 (really really fucking annoying), FFX (god knows why I liked it first time round). There's lots of others stand out games that I don't play too, like Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart, but to put my switch gaming into perspective I have been playing a core bunch of games over and over and over again:

Zelda Breath of the Wild --> over 540 hours of play time and at least 5 play throughs

Final Fantasy XII - 165 hours and two play throughs

Fire Emblem 3 Houses - 260 hours and 4 play throughs

Final Fantasy IX - 45 hours and only one play through (so far) but I'd previously played it through twice on iPhone and twice yonks before that on PS2

Valkyria Cronicles 4 - 145 hours - can't remember how many play throughs that is

For christ's sake give me another great game to play..... otherwise I think it might be Zelda BOTW once more

I bought an Arctis Steel Series 1 wireless for my switch to use on docked Overwatch but have discovered it doesn’t support surround sound, only stereo.

I know the PS4 gold headset does virtual surround and works on switch docked but does it do virtual surround over USB on Switch?

27 minutes ago, Stolly said:

I really need to play a new game on switch and could do with a couple of recommendations. I keep periodically buying new games, don't get me wrong, but just can't get into them --> my more recent damp squib recent purchases include: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (previously completed on PS4), Divinity Original Sin 2 (far far to complicated to play handheld), Balders Gate 1&2 (again too finicky to play), FFVII (I really struggled with the controller set up), Dragon Quest XI (boring :(), Astral Chain (just couldn't get into it - not really my kind of game I guess), Hollow Knight (great but too hard for me to want to be arsed with), Disgea 5 (really really fucking annoying), FFX (god knows why I liked it first time round). There's lots of others stand out games that I don't play too, like Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart, but to put my switch gaming into perspective I have been playing a core bunch of games over and over and over again:

Zelda Breath of the Wild --> over 540 hours of play time and at least 5 play throughs

Final Fantasy XII - 165 hours and two play throughs

Fire Emblem 3 Houses - 260 hours and 4 play throughs

Final Fantasy IX - 45 hours and only one play through (so far) but I'd previously played it through twice on iPhone and twice yonks before that on PS2

Valkyria Cronicles 4 - 145 hours - can't remember how many play throughs that is

For christ's sake give me another great game to play..... otherwise I think it might be Zelda BOTW once more

Dragons Dogma

Mana Collection

Link's Awakening

Xenoblade

Seeing as you enjoyed Fire Emblem, how about one of the Robot Taisen games?

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Stolly said:

RPGs

How about Ys VIII on Switch/PS4?

It's an action RPG that I started before moving onto FFXII.

I played Ys Memories of Celceta and really enjoyed it on the Vita (years ago now) so picked up Ys VIII on Switch. 

I'll be definitely getting back to it once I've finished FFXII.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, PyramidFace said:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions could be another one.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is a good shout. If you like Persona at all, it's well worth your time. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tomcat said:

Dragons Dogma

Mana Collection

Link's Awakening

Xenoblade

Seeing as you enjoyed Fire Emblem, how about one of the Robot Taisen games?

I know it's unpopular, but given your list I'd steer clear of Dragon's Dogma. My suggestion would be West of Loathing, not a massive game, but the funniest RPG I've ever played, and probably cheap.

• Upvote 1

Bah....I have joycon drift. It keeps getting stuck in up. Think it had been like that for a while but had worsened over time. When I was playing at the spire lots last year I kept noticing it would occasionally start lifting cards up the screen without me touching anything.

I'll have to get my earbuds out tomorrow for a cleaning attempt. If this doesn't work am I correct in thinking I need to get some sort of contact clean in there. If all else fails some kind of home DIY solution :unsure: ?

Yes contact cleaner will do the job. 

I bought the WD40 brand contact cleaner but, as ever, do be careful not to buy WD40, because that would make the situation considerably worse. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, PyramidFace said:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions could be another one.

Thanks very much or the recommendation which looks right up my alley - I'm downloading it right now :)

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

Bah....I have joycon drift. It keeps getting stuck in up. Think it had been like that for a while but had worsened over time. When I was playing at the spire lots last year I kept noticing it would occasionally start lifting cards up the screen without me touching anything.

I'll have to get my earbuds out tomorrow for a cleaning attempt. If this doesn't work am I correct in thinking I need to get some sort of contact clean in there. If all else fails some kind of home DIY solution :unsure: ?

As much as I love the Switch (and I do), the joycon build quality is its one low point. In the end the only thnig that worked for me was replacing them with this:

image.thumb.png.0b5a1a33e9be59f4670fae8c37fd42f7.png

Which actually improved the machine.

• Upvote 6

Tend to just use the pro controller most of the time with the Switch. Joycons do feel a bit flimsy though although hadn't had any issues with mine yet... Surprised really as Nintendo hardware is usually bulletproof :(

8 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

Cheers for the recommendation but I'm not a fan of the design and gigantic firm factor but can see some on here are very happy with them

@therearerules

I thought the same thing, but then I got a pair. Proper d-pad, nomore hand cramp, and, best of all, a solid fit including a part behind the switch which means if you end up holding the switch in one hand it doesn't feel like it's going to snap. That and no more drift. If all else fails, I'd encourage it, especially if there's another sale.

edit- and quieter buttons.

My friend is having a weird problem.  We can play games online no problem - for example Mario Kart.  I can host and he can join; he can host and I can join.  A third friend recently got a Switch but neither of them can host or join the other's game.  Nevertheless, the third friend can host and join games with me.  The real kicker is, if I host a game, they can both join at the same time.

There's clearly something up with one of their network configurations that's incompatible with the other, but don't have an issue with mine.

Anyone seen this before?

11 minutes ago, Popo said:

My friend is having a weird problem.  We can play games online no problem - for example Mario Kart.  I can host and he can join; he can host and I can join.  A third friend recently got a Switch but neither of them can host or join the other's game.  Nevertheless, the third friend can host and join games with me.  The real kicker is, if I host a game, they can both join at the same time.

There's clearly something up with one of their network configurations that's incompatible with the other, but don't have an issue with mine.

Anyone seen this before?

Does one of them have their online visibility set to "Best Friends Only"?

Is there a recommended USB-HDMI adaptor people use for a Switch on a second TV or for travelling?

19 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

Does one of them have their online visibility set to "Best Friends Only"?

Sorry, I should have said - they can see each other - they can even attempt to join each other's games - but they get an error 'NAT traversal process has failed'.

It's not clear whether that's a failure on the local network or remote network, or indeed why NAT traversal is fine when I'm the host.

Edit - seems they are both with the same ISP.  Surely that should make it easier for them to play together?!

19 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

Contact cleaner (not WD40) is worth a try. It was only a temporary solution for my daughter's Switch, so I ended up replacing the stick using a kit from Amazon. I've since replaced one of my son's too. They both hammer Overwatch like crazy so I'm not surprised :D

I bought these from Amazon. They seem fine - I don't think they're genuine, but the sticks themselves are identical and they fit perfectly. There's a teardown guide on ifixit, the only tricky part is making sure you don't destroy the ribbon cables, but it's honestly not really hard - you just need to allow more time than you think and not rush.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Popo said:

Sorry, I should have said - they can see each other - they can even attempt to join each other's games - but they get an error 'NAT traversal process has failed'.

It's not clear whether that's a failure on the local network or remote network, or indeed why NAT traversal is fine when I'm the host.

Edit - seems they are both with the same ISP.  Surely that should make it easier for them to play together?!

To answer my own question it looks like their issue is caused by the fact that they’re with the same ISP, live in the same geographic area and their ISP uses a form of NAT that’s performed by an upstream network device rather than the home router. My guess is the device performing NAT is not situated between them and therefor the necessary NATting is not taking place. 

Superdata Research:

Animal Crossing: New Horizons sold more digital units in a single month (5.0M) than any console game in history. The Nintendo-published title broke the console record for monthly digital game sales previously held by Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII. Animal Crossing: New Horizons also roughly matched the first-month digital sales of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Pokémon Sword and Shield put together. The game’s combination of social features and a relaxing setting likely appealed to individuals stuck at home. Closures of brick and mortar stores also meant that a higher share of consumers purchased the game digitally compared to past Switch titles.

:o:hat:

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Is there a recommended USB-HDMI adaptor people use for a Switch on a second TV or for travelling?

There is, but I can't find mention and I don't have one. You MUST use the official PSU though, whatever dock you get else you risk bricking the Switch.

Someone reading must know what the best one is.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, rgraves said:

Superdata Research:

:o:hat:

Any idea of physical sales?