Nintendo Switch

If you are talking about using the Switch docked, and you have either a PS4 controller or a new bluetooth enabled Xbox controller then I'd recommend the 8-bitdo adaptors. Much cheaper than buying a controller. I have one and using the PS4 controller is a revelation (personally it would be even better with an Xbox controller but non of mine are the new Bluetooth ones).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-Wireless-Bluetooth-Raspberry-Retrofreak-3-Receiver/dp/B07HG4WPC2/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=8-bitdo+swtich+adaptor&qid=1593447325&sr=8-1

48 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

If you are talking about using the Switch docked, and you have either a PS4 controller or a new bluetooth enabled Xbox controller then I'd recommend the 8-bitdo adaptors. Much cheaper than buying a controller. I have one and using the PS4 controller is a revelation (personally it would be even better with an Xbox controller but non of mine are the new Bluetooth ones).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-Wireless-Bluetooth-Raspberry-Retrofreak-3-Receiver/dp/B07HG4WPC2/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=8-bitdo+swtich+adaptor&qid=1593447325&sr=8-1

Does it only work docked then? I need it to prop up on my lap sometimes 

4 hours ago, Broker said:

Does it only work docked then? I need it to prop up on my lap sometimes 

What Alex W says if you get an adapter it will work undocked but you wouldn’t be able to use the little stand as the adapter is stuck in the bottom of the Switch.

3 hours ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Wonder if this will affect all retailers.

As someone going digital only on Switch this sucks, ShopTo prices were a huge saving.

the ps4 pad + 8bit do is a great replacement. However, it works better with games that use the dpad rather than the sticks - for example I really cant play SMO with a ps4 pad.

Nintendo will be unhappy about Shopto discounting codes, but it's illegal for them to stop retailers from discounting. There was a story in the Guardian yesterday about how the Competition & Markets Authority had fined Korg and Roland £5.5m for stopping retailers from discounting. Also, GAK (musical instrument / music production gear retailer based in Brighton) were fined £250k for colluding in price fixing with Yamaha (who escaped a fine because they brought the matter to the CMA themselves). https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jun/29/musical-instrument-firms-roland-and-korg-fined-55m-over-uk-price-fixing?fbclid=IwAR1u6qTt_B3_55mO33zUXDDFOlXGrRis5E7pTmPVp76VTsY5GB-10TjmPlE

Could this be a very Nintendo-like response to the CMAs evident willingness to chuck massive fines around for retail price-fixing?

23 minutes ago, DC said:

A guy at Tesco was buying a Switch when I was there and HotUKDeals said Smyths have them now, if anyone cares.

The Joycons are £60 in Tesco. Not sure on the console itself though. I tend to favor Argos as I like to click and collect while doing my shopping.

If I unlink my son's Nintendo account from the Switch profile, and link a different account instead, will his saves remain intact? 

The old account was created as a child account through mine online. But when we setup the Pokémon Home app on my old phone for him, I stupidily put his real birth date and that's locked him out of being able to trade, which is the half the point of Home. Wife made him a new nintendo account (like actual one, with his email) which I also need to link to the family account for online, and is what she used to get him signed into Home on his phone. 

What a real dick move from Nintendo. I only bought 51 Worldwide Games because ShopTo offered it for what I considered to be a fair price. This new policy will result in me buying fewer Switch games, and Nintendo therefore getting less of my money. Congrats.

Anyone know where I can get one of the Hori blue dpad joycons? Can only find Amazon doing them and £43 seems steep.

The themed ones are all £20-25 but not to my taste. 

I picked up a Switch again last week, having sold my first one last year. I've played through Links Awakening (still brilliant), but noticed every now and then when moving up, Link would jump between a walk and sprint. I then started Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and instantly found it to be nearly unplayable as moving forwards was seemingly stuck in a stuttering walk. On updating the controller software and trying to calibrate, it seems the stick cannot register being pushed directly forwards for some reason. I knew about Joycon drift but not Joycon simply not working.

Any solutions beyond sending it to Nintendo?

55 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I picked up a Switch again last week, having sold my first one last year. I've played through Links Awakening (still brilliant), but noticed every now and then when moving up, Link would jump between a walk and sprint. I then started Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and instantly found it to be nearly unplayable as moving forwards was seemingly stuck in a stuttering walk. On updating the controller software and trying to calibrate, it seems the stick cannot register being pushed directly forwards for some reason. I knew about Joycon drift but not Joycon simply not working.

Any solutions beyond sending it to Nintendo?

You could try the usual DIY things for joycon drift - compressed air or contact cleaner. That has worked for me on an older joycon but it didn't work for my launch Switch Lite which couldn't reliably push to the left. That had to go to Nintendo for a 7-week (!) repair last autumn.

4 hours ago, Eighthours said:

What a real dick move from Nintendo. I only bought 51 Worldwide Games because ShopTo offered it for what I considered to be a fair price. This new policy will result in me buying fewer Switch games, and Nintendo therefore getting less of my money. Congrats.

Yeah - same here. Read some positive reviews on day 1 and saw Shop-to digitial price that made by impulse buy-it that night.

I wouldn't have paid full whack on e-shop and supect I'd have lost the impulse if I'd had to order a slightly discounted phsyical copy which I wouldn't have got until Tuesday.