Nintendo Switch

I didn't realise there was a NES version of The Immortal. That's going to be shite compared to the MD version surely.

20 hours ago, Stanshall said:

@Ghosty Pro Controller is far superior and never had any issues with it. 

D-pad is crap though. Messes up things like Tetris, randomly registers a down when you do an across. Nintendo dropping the ball on controller quality, surprising to see.

I had two left joycons get drift, one stop connecting. Fixed one myself by replacing the stick, another with just the contact cleaner, and the third got fixed by Nintendo (they returned it as 'no fault found'.. but it was fixed!). Right ones have been pretty much ok - less action I guess?

12 minutes ago, deKay said:

I didn't realise there was a NES version of The Immortal. That's going to be shite compared to the MD version surely.

I got a bit carried away and thought there was a SNES version I didn't know about... it's the NES one.  Graphically obviously no where near as good and doesn't have the AMAZING finishing moves. :(

The pro controller d-pad is awful but can be made 'fine' with the tape fix. Really shouldn't be needed with the prices Nintendo are asking, though.

The Switch is easily a top three console of all time for me, but the general build quality of the hardware is diabolical. It's pretty obvious they were rushing the thing out the door to get rid of the Wii U as soon as possible. 

15 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

That's true, the D-pad is dogshit. 

I've played loads of games with it. It's my preferred way to play things like Bloodstained where both digital and analogue "work" but clearly they're digital games.

All the SNES and NES games, and completed about 20 of the Mega Drive Classics games. Plus Shantae, Wulverblade, all three Baobab's Mausoleums, all the Picrosseses, Flashback, Sega AGES stuff like Sonic, Sonic 2, Alex Kidd, Wonder Boy in Monster Land. Also Monster Boy, all the Gunvolt games, Blaster Master Zero, Code of Princess, Whipseey, Celeste, Hyper Sentinel, River City Girls, Gato Roboto, etc. etc.

Basically any game with digital controls. Never had a single problem with the d-pad.

Nah, I struggled with Celeste big time with the pro controller d-pad. Pressing an incorrect direction is really easy unless you place your thumb in a very specific spot.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

I've played loads of games with it. It's my preferred way to play things like Bloodstained where both digital and analogue "work" but clearly they're digital games.

All the SNES and NES games, and completed about 20 of the Mega Drive Classics games. Plus Shantae, Wulverblade, all three Baobab's Mausoleums, all the Picrosseses, Flashback, Sega AGES stuff like Sonic, Sonic 2, Alex Kidd, Wonder Boy in Monster Land. Also Monster Boy, all the Gunvolt games, Blaster Master Zero, Code of Princess, Whipseey, Celeste, Hyper Sentinel, River City Girls, Gato Roboto, etc. etc.

Basically any game with digital controls. Never had a single problem with the d-pad.

I completely believe you, but it's still basically a gummy bear. 

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

HOLY SHIT! THE IMMORTAL!!!!

YASSSSS

Ah, c'mon - that was a typical insta-kill memory test, like Rick Dangerous; great (isometric in this case) graphics with trial-and-error gameplay, wasn't it?

1 hour ago, smac said:

Ah, c'mon - that was a typical insta-kill memory test, like Rick Dangerous; great (isometric in this case) graphics with trial-and-error gameplay, wasn't it?

yeah - it was.  Just has a special place in my heart.  My brother and I played it for hours and hours to completion back in the day on the megadrive.  

7 hours ago, Gambit said:

I love DKC, but the online updates and choices are really lacking.

Despite having the best catalogue of games, decades of them, it's amazing how badly they always fumble the online retro catalogue.

Not sure about that. They’ve chosen some really interesting deep cuts the last few updates and I’ve enjoyed the space they get to play them properly rather than 2 mins and move on. 

I think some people just expect a dump of the entire catalogue maybe?

11 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Not sure about that. They’ve chosen some really interesting deep cuts the last few updates and I’ve enjoyed the space they get to play them properly rather than 2 mins and move on. 

I think some people just expect a dump of the entire catalogue maybe?

Not the entire catalogue obviously but 3 titles per month is slim pickings.

Just now, moosegrinder said:

It's not even guaranteed every month is it now?

It’s only been about 10 since Christmas.

3 hours ago, scottcr said:

yeah - it was.  Just has a special place in my heart.  My brother and I played it for hours and hours to completion back in the day on the megadrive.  

Me too, I loved it, rock hard though. 

5 hours ago, scottcr said:

to completion

Respect. You forgot your :ph34r:; you earned it.

Can't recall how far I got through it.

The dpad is one of the main reasons I went for the lite over the full fat. It's a pretty good dpad on that model although it's a bit stiffer than is ideal for things like top down jrpgs. Great for platformers, however. 

With the renaissance of 2d games in recent years it's a pity dpads on the main consoles haven't really followed suit from when they regressed to being an afterthought in the era where everything had to be 3d.