Nintendo Switch

9 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

My wife is really enjoying Dragon Quest XI at the moment - what are the other highly recommended turn-based JRPGs on the system?

We already have Fire Emblem.

Xenoblade Chronicles 1 & 2, though they’re not really turn based. Tbh DQXI is so huge she won’t need anything for a while, and nothing else on any system comes close to its greatness. 

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

My wife is really enjoying Dragon Quest XI at the moment - what are the other highly recommended turn-based JRPGs on the system?

Disgaea is probably my favourite (1, then 4, then 5). There's also The Banner Saga (I loved this, but it's very bleak), Octopath Traveller and a load of earlier Final Fantasy games. 

Edit: The Banner Saga isn't a JRPG. Still great, though.

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

I really really enjoyed I Am Setsuna. Nailed the SNES aesthetic really well. You can probably find it cheap as well. 

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask - please let me know if I should move my questions.

I want to buy ESP Ra.De. Psi digitally as I prefer not having to change carts. I'm not sure what the best way to get it is.

I've already got my Switch set up with a Japanese account ready to go. My problem is that the Japanese eShop won't accept my credit cards, Revolut or UK paypal. The only option I can think if is to buy a Japanese eShop card. But I haven't found anywhere that sells them without a big markup. So I guess my questions are:

(1) Is there a way to buy from the Japanese eShop with a UK paypal/credit card/Revolut account?

(2) what's a good place to buy Japanese eShop credit with reasonable markeup?

Any help / advice is appreciated.

Whenever I need Japanese eshop credit I just buy a digital card from PlayAsia. Probably not the cheapest but it just works fine and they're definitely a legit company.

• Upvote 1
46 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask - please let me know if I should move my questions.

I want to buy ESP Ra.De. Psi digitally as I prefer not having to change carts. I'm not sure what the best way to get it is.

I've already got my Switch set up with a Japanese account ready to go. My problem is that the Japanese eShop won't accept my credit cards, Revolut or UK paypal. The only option I can think if is to buy a Japanese eShop card. But I haven't found anywhere that sells them without a big markup. So I guess my questions are:

(1) Is there a way to buy from the Japanese eShop with a UK paypal/credit card/Revolut account?

(2) what's a good place to buy Japanese eShop credit with reasonable markeup?

Any help / advice is appreciated.

I think this page from Nintendolife covers the details - they are pushing Play Asia as a place to buy eShop credit and a quick currency conversion shows an acceptable markup (5000円 =  $45.80).

I don’t remember where I bought credit back when I got Virtua Racing from the Japanese eShop, I don’t think it was Play Asia, but they’re legit. 

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, ChewMagma said:

I think Ni No Kuni is turn based. 

Also FF7 8 and 9 are all on the eshop. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, ChewMagma said:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

Although Fire Emblem isn’t a JRPG so if you want another game like that don’t get TMS.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, ChewMagma said:

Final fantasy 9. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Flub said:

Whenever I need Japanese eshop credit I just buy a digital card from PlayAsia. Probably not the cheapest but it just works fine and they're definitely a legit company.

3 hours ago, Popo said:

I think this page from Nintendolife covers the details - they are pushing Play Asia as a place to buy eShop credit and a quick currency conversion shows an acceptable markup (5000円 =  $45.80).

I don’t remember where I bought credit back when I got Virtua Racing from the Japanese eShop, I don’t think it was Play Asia, but they’re legit. 

a site called g2a has a really rather too-cheap 5kY card on offer. am assuming it's too good to be true:

https://www.g2a.com/nintendo-eshop-card-5-000-yen-nintendo-japan-i10000006097030

4 hours ago, ChewMagma said:

I asked around here not long ago and was recommended Cosmic Star Heroine ...there are a bunch of the old Dragon Quests if you're okay with the 2d style (which you can test in XI) 

Fromwhat others have said, Ni No Kuni is probably your best bet for something really similar. Final fantasy series is a safe bet too for the mechanics if not the same feel. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, deerokus said:

G2A stuff isn't a scam per se, but it's also a bit shady as lots of the stuff on there was bought with stolen credit cards and now being flipped. 

That would explain the lower than exchange rate price....

Can I just a quick bit of help with user accounts - I must be being dense...

I've just changed the single online to a family account.

I have one user profile attached to it, but there are 3 other users profiles being used on the Switch.  It won't let me add those profiles to the family account as says 'this Nintendo account is already being used on this console'.

None of them have nintendo accounts, they are just profiles on the Switch - am I doing something wrong?

Does each profile actually need an account or something?

Literally just done this myself. 

All additional user need individual Nintendo accounts, then once they are set up you need to go onto your main account on your PC or mobile (not the Swith) log into your Nintendo account (the one you purchased the family membership with) then go to Settings and Family Group, and add each new account to your family membership by inviting them via their email addresses used for their news Nintendo accounts. 

4 hours ago, SimonG said:

Literally just done this myself. 

All additional user need individual Nintendo accounts, then once they are set up you need to go onto your main account on your PC or mobile (not the Swith) log into your Nintendo account (the one you purchased the family membership with) then go to Settings and Family Group, and add each new account to your family membership by inviting them via their email addresses used for their news Nintendo accounts. 

Cheers that’s a great help. You can use the ID without needing an email per account thankfully. 

So next question...

Our current main account is used by one son as his account. 
that’s the one that owns the family account etc. 
can I copy his save data to another profile and claim that main account as mine only?   
Can’t quite understand from what I’ve read if that possible.  

Am I over thinking this and it doesn’t matter at all whose is whose?  I’m getting too old for all this...

If I’m not precious about saves on my own non linked profile it doesn’t matter at all does it?  
Think I’m getting profiles and accounts confused. 

48 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

can I copy his save data to another profile and claim that main account as mine only?   

No.

No first party stuff then, I know it’s weird times we’re going through but isn’t it equally weird that we don’t know of any games Nintendo has coming out for the rest of the year. 

Previously announced titles from third parties then, Doom Eternal perhaps? 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Stanley said:

No first party stuff then, I know it’s weird times we’re going through but isn’t it equally weird that we don’t know of any games Nintendo has coming out for the rest of the year. 

Previously announced titles from third parties then, Doom Eternal perhaps? 

They will do a proper Direct soon. I'm confident. 

I mean the only games we know about really are BoTW 2 and MP4 which I can’t see making it out this year as surely they would have announced something by now going by previous announcements for tent pole games, and then maybe this Mario compilation, which is just a rumour, and we all know how that turned out with Metroid Prime Trilogy.

No first party again is really disappointing. :(  It's unfortunately a sign of Nintendo's software dominance though. No third party wants to be sandwiched in-between a Nintendo IP.

On the plus side, Nintendo are really going out of their way to accommodate third parties and give them exposure. It also shows how they're having to lean on them a lot now to fill in their schedule..

25 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I mean the only games we know about really are BoTW 2 and MP4 which I can’t see making it out this year as surely they would have announced something by now going by previous announcements for tent pole games, and then maybe this Mario compilation, which is just a rumour, and we all know how that turned out with Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Didn't they announce Paper Mario about 2 months before release?