Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Didn't they announce Paper Mario about 2 months before release?

Yeah, and they do that for smaller titles - but not usually the bigger releases; Zelda, Pokemon, Smash Bros, etc.

They've been really clear here - it's a 10-minute mini, with only previously announced content from third-parties and partners. Pretty obvious it's going to be stuff like Doom Eternal, Crysis etc - but watch as folks go mental and cry 'NINTENDOOMED' when they don't deliver a massive blow-out on BOTW2 and Bayonettea 3 or do a 'just one more thing' that reveals F-Zero, Pikmin, and Starfox GP.

In all honesty, why would they do anything major today - whatever they do it's going to get swamped by MS on Thursday, so it would be daft to even try.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1
11 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah, and they do that for smaller titles - but not usually the bigger releases; Zelda, Pokemon, Smash Bros, etc.

Well we have that Pokémon moba coming... also only recently announced...

I have (possibly misguided) faith. 

Nintendo can’t win. If they announce only the biggest stuff people complain they’ve only got a couple of things to talk about. If they announce what else they’ve got going on, people complain that it’s not the one big thing they want an announcement on.

• Empathy 1

They don’t seem to have anything going on, is the problem. The upcoming slate is barren yet today they’re going to spend 10 minutes showing us a few third party games that we already know about. That’s pretty shite.

• Upvote 1

If they’re previously announced games, I don’t see why they couldn’t just say what they are instead of cruelly giving me a few hours of hyping myself into believing that Shin Megami Tensei V isn’t vapourware and that Sports Story is about to be shadow dropped only to end up showing FIFA 21 Legacy Edition.

10 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Nintendo can’t win. If they announce only the biggest stuff people complain they’ve only got a couple of things to talk about. If they announce what else they’ve got going on, people complain that it’s not the one big thing they want an announcement on.

I don't think that's true at all. If they simply laid out their plans more coherently (ie paced their software line up) and gave people enough carrots to look forward to, that would be enough. For example, for goodness sake show off MP Trilogy now. Everyone knows it exists, tease it now, even with a vague release window if need be.

11 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

They don’t seem to have anything going on, is the problem.

Nobody genuinely believes this though, do they? I mean, nobody actually, honestly, believes Nintendo don't have stuff coming up? Even though they clearly said in the recent financial call "we have unannounced titles that are on-schedule"?

If anyone wants to take a bet with me that Nintendo will have at least one major title before the end of the year, that we so far have not seen or heard of officially, I'll take it. We all know they will.

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

People’s main beef with Nintendo is they’re not announcing games that people on Resetera have made up?

It’s that they’re not announcing anything. We’re over halfway through the year and have no idea what first party Nintendo game is going to be their big Christmas release. I don’t understand this strategy.

5 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

It’s that they’re not announcing anything. We’re over halfway through the year and have no idea what first party Nintendo game is going to be their big Christmas release. I don’t understand this strategy.

No idea? I can tell you if you want:

Spoiler

Mario Collection

Just now, Calashnikov said:

It is July. If they start trumpeting their big Christmas release now everybody will have forgotten about it.

The way people get pathological about Nintendo’s release slate makes me wonder if Microsoft and Sony keep their firstparty releases from outshining the third party ones on purpose. Like they looked at how Nintendo’s just been consistently raked over the coals year after year, and just concluded that sort of console-defining release slate isn’t worth the blowback during the quarters where they’re not releasing or teasing something huge.

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, Peb Kacharach said:

But will they have actually remastered the games and fixed Sunshine, or are they just dumping upressed roms?

Both - they'll be remasters, but not enough changes to keep people happy.

5 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

It is July. If they start trumpeting their big Christmas release now everybody will have forgotten about it.

I disagree. Normally we’d have had E3 been and gone by this point, with solid Q4 releases confirmed and eagerly anticipated. Maybe it’s a conditioning thing that makes it feel strange to me that they haven’t told us what’s on the horizon by this point. I’m having Nintendo hype withdrawals.

• Upvote 1
53 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

Why are Nintendo shitting the bed so much with lockdown?

To deliver a software line-up like 2017 it turns out they need a generation of failure to build up the titles, and even consolidating their handheld and home consoles doesn't seem to have improved their output rate.

They’ve had a steady flow of releases since launch, 2019 was particularly busy, it’s only this year things have dried up a bit, which is understandable to a degree. 

25 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

The way people get pathological about Nintendo’s release slate makes me wonder if Microsoft and Sony keep their firstparty releases from outshining the third party ones on purpose. Like they looked at how Nintendo’s just been consistently raked over the coals year after year, and just concluded that sort of console-defining release slate isn’t worth the blowback during the quarters where they’re not releasing or teasing something huge.

That’s not true is it, both Smash Bros and Pokemon were known about and announced much further in advance. 

This has been an incredibly dry year for Nintendo, and of course the pandemic has not helped. Hats off for them able to release Paper Mario, however I feel like they started to slow down before the pandemic was even a thing. 

Considering the last major direct was 10 months ago, I would have expected at least another, without even release dates, just information that what they have in the pipeline is legit. 

Huge Nintendo fan, and my fandom feeds my disappointment.

• Upvote 1