IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

deKay

On 24/07/2020 at 11:52, the_debaser said:

An updated ISS 98 from the N64 would be great. Football games have never hit those heights since. 

To jump on the footie chat I missed last week:

I've never actually played the N64 series, so I'd like that to appear at some point. I'd love Konami to release a collection of games from the SNES, N64 and PS1 era - you could have both the original ISS series of ISS/Deluxe, ISS 64/98, but then also the Winning Eleven series - Goal Storm and the ISS Pro games.

To cut down on repetition, you could happily pick just four games - ISS Deluxe, ISS 98, ISS Pro 98 and ISS Pro Evolution 2. Those all play substantially different to each other, and all remain fun. Well, I assume so in the case of the N64 game.

My 4 joy cons and pro controller are with nintendo for repair due to stick drift, sent in two separate packages all joy cons together and the pro separately. They are repairing the joy cons without mentioning any charge but for the pro controller their email states

"Our engineers have inspected your Switch Pro-controller and found damage due to Circle Pad calibration fault. Under our warranty policy we do not cover the cost of the repair for damaged items. A payment of £31.00 is required for us to complete the repair."

Now I bought the switch arroind 2 and a half years ago and the pro controller around 6 months after that so it probably is out of warranty (and I wouldn't be able to locate the receipt anyway) but do think them asking for £31 to repair a calibration fault is a bit rich especially when I compare this to my GameCube, wii, wii u, controllers that are all still working absolutely fine.

I know if I factor in the joy cons its only about 6quid per repaired item but really grates that I'm paying for them manufacturing shit peripherals this generation and a far cry from the old days when you never touched 3rd party peripherals with a barge pole because they weren't a patch on Nintendo's own products.

On 24/07/2020 at 18:48, Stoppy2000 said:

There is a very real difference between one that attempts to simulate a real game and one that is just going for pure arcade action. Obviously it's nothing like playing in real life. You could say that about all simulation genres though? 

My point being: nothing attempts to simulate a real game. A simulation racing game has you in a car going around a track, you can take a cockpit view. Surround yourself with some screens and get yourself a steering wheel, and you can kid yourself you are doing it. 

No football team has you play a single position for 90 minutes in a first person view, where you are worried about performing a role, covering specific players and executing a specific strategy. Even where it is possible no one plays them like that. 

There's a fundamental difference between a "simulation" and an "arcade" football game yes, but the former is not actually anything like real football. An arcade football game might capture the emotion of the game better, if done well. It's a question of what sort of lie you want to tell yourself to convince yourself you are really Messi. 

40 minutes ago, kensei said:

My point being: nothing attempts to simulate a real game. A simulation racing game has you in a car going around a track, you can take a cockpit view. Surround yourself with some screens and get yourself a steering wheel, and you can kid yourself you are doing it. 

No football team has you play a single position for 90 minutes in a first person view, where you are worried about performing a role, covering specific players and executing a specific strategy. Even where it is possible no one plays them like that. 

There's a fundamental difference between a "simulation" and an "arcade" football game yes, but the former is not actually anything like real football. An arcade football game might capture the emotion of the game better, if done well. It's a question of what sort of lie you want to tell yourself to convince yourself you are really Messi. 

My main point is that ISS is literally nothing like real football. You can argue that pro evo and FIFA also aren't but they at least present a more realistic facsimile of real football (and I'm not talking about actually playing football in real life more the experience of watching it on TV). 

Really I just don't think ISS on the N64 is very good. 

Arcadey football games do have their place though - Sensible Soccer is still amazing. 

7 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Libero Grande? 

It was, yes, bloody awful game :-p

As for sim / arcade, maybe sim could more be descrbed as the Sky Sports style football game? That's how I see it, as for the best... easy, World Tour Soccer on the PSP, think it was based on Sony's "This is Football", seems like it. You had flicks and shimmys, and could dive, convincingly if you timed it right, and ad hoc wifi meant some great 2 player matches were had back in the day :)

I wish to transfer my account to a second Switch, but keep getting stuck at the QR code page. Authenticator doesn't recognise it (says invalid) and the codes it generates the Switch says is incorrect.

Same as on the Nintendo website. AFAIK i haven't turned on 2fa so not sure why this is. Has anyone else had this trouble?

Still can't log in online, or on the new Switch we have. Just fails every time. :( 

Emailed Nintendo but they are not exactly quick to respond it seems.

We now have two copies of Mario Kart, is it possible to play each other without wifi, over bluetooth maybe? I'm sure that was possible on an older hand-held wasn't it?

Nintendo have confirmed the £31 fee is to replace my pro controller not repair it. This will come with a 1 year warranty.

Seems a poor deal as the first one broke within 2 years.....wouldn't I be better off putting the money towards a 3rd party controller that doesn't come with Nintendo's 'seal of quality' which this generation translates to a 'seal of inferiority'

Interested in views / experiences of other pro controller owners.

The regular pro controller I got on day one with the switch is still fine. Since day one it’s had a weird rattle when the vibration starts but it’s never got any worse. 

The Splatoon pro controller I got never had that issue and is still good as new. 

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

Gonna get a new game to play with my daughter whilst we’re off next week, she’s 6 do you think she’d get on with Mario Maker? It’s between that and 51 Worldwide Games I think. 

I'd  say she'll be fine with Mario Maker. Our 5yo loves it and able to make some crazy levels.

Yoshi is a great choice as well. The mellow mode on it is great, gives Yoshi wings and can fly through the stages. Had a great time finishing on co-op and still going back to it months later. Very child friendly

Thanks all, will consider Yoshi, I just thought the two of us would have fun playing each other’s levels in MM - we have Kirby and she loves that, Animal Crossing is the ultimate game though, loves all the crafting and everything.