Nintendo Switch

8 minutes ago, alex3d said:

Thank god I sold my Switch two weeks ago. Apparently Nintendo has given up on new Switch software. 

I don't think thats the case at all, I think they've held off because of COVID-19. This was meant to be 35 years of Mario this year and since they mentioned that its been quiet. I think 2021 will see a glut of games, announcements and trailers for 1st party stuff.

Also Paper Mario just came out which is meant to be really great.

39 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Let’s be honest it was pretty disappointing, not even worth doing for such a tiny selection of games, one of which was just new DLC. 

It certainly feels like that - was a pretty massive damp squib.

Trying to be positive.........urm....unless this is just the start of them doing these things much more regularly - if we're going to get something like that every 2-3 weeks it makes more sense. Smaller, but more frequent updates.

What they really do need to do now, is schedule a main Direct. One that covers first-party stuff - and announces at least a couple of things we've not seen before. I reckon they need to do that before the end of August....the clock is ticking.....

• Upvote 1

I assume the Japanese direct differed from the English language direct? Because the former was really bloody Japanese

Not really my bag of balls, but each to his own. 

8 minutes ago, Popo said:

I assume the Japanese direct differed from the English language direct? Because the former was really bloody Japanese

Not really my bag of balls, but each to his own. 

The English language one was utter shite. Necrodancer DLC > boring shooter > awful wrestling thing > Shin Megami Tensei bollocks and nothing else.

5 hours ago, the_debaser said:

BOTW2 is surely complete. The first one came out over 3 years ago. 

That is wishful thinking unfortunately! A title like BOTW2 takes a huge amount of time to create. I wouldn't even be surprised if it's not released next year, although I'd expect it to hit by Christmas at least.

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

Let’s be honest it was pretty disappointing, not even worth doing for such a tiny selection of games, one of which was just new DLC. 

It is pretty much exactly what it said on the tin though, it’s ‘mini’ and only features third party games.  I do wonder if their strategy has shifted to announcing games much closer to release like with Paper Mario and think that is perfectly fine when it comes to game sales.

Personally, they can announce whenever they want as long as they are still making the games.  I don’t really mind them taking another year with BOTW2 to be honest, if that means it’s as good or better than the first.

Had anyone here tried one of those gooseneck tablet holders for the Switch? My wife and I are going to be huddled on our bed and isolating for a couple of days while a builder replaces the boiler in our cramped little flat, so something to mount the Switch nearby would be preferable to balancing it on some books if we fancy a game of Mario Kart.

Spoiler

The bonus (of course) is that I can be lazy when I feel like playing the Switch in bed too.

Most reviews I've seen recommend the Tryone mount but the Amazon reviews aren't kind, plus there are some anecdotal reports of the spring-loaded holder putting too much pressure on the Switch, causing the case to separate. Quite keen to find out if anyone here has had luck with a better mount.

2 hours ago, Timbuktu said:

It is pretty much exactly what it said on the tin though, it’s ‘mini’ and only features third party games.  I do wonder if their strategy has shifted to announcing games much closer to release like with Paper Mario and think that is perfectly fine when it comes to game sales.

Personally, they can announce whenever they want as long as they are still making the games.  I don’t really mind them taking another year with BOTW2 to be honest, if that means it’s as good or better than the first.

Did it do what it said on the tin? I guess, almost, technically, but I’m not sure anyone really expected just five games, of which maybe one or two are of any real interest worthy of a presentation like this. I don’t know, kind of at a loss for what they were trying to achieve with it really. IMO they should have just published the trailers as and when. 

5 hours ago, rgraves said:

What they really do need to do now, is schedule a main Direct. One that covers first-party stuff - and announces at least a couple of things we've not seen before. I reckon they need to do that before the end of August....the clock is ticking.....

Or they'll continue to sell Switch consoles like crazy...? 

I suspect they are holding back stuff to boost things again once the Lockdown boost wears off, to be honest. 

I’ve just finished the Dragon Quest XI S Demo off the e-shop and absolutely loved it, not normally keen on JRPGs but increasing the combat speed to very fast has really helped keep the game interesting, the characters and story have been fantastic so far. A demo done right as I have ordered the game off the back of the demo when normally I wouldn’t have looked twice at spending £40 on a JRPG.

• Upvote 2
49 minutes ago, DarkCrisis said:

I’ve just finished the Dragon Quest XI S Demo off the e-shop and absolutely loved it, not normally keen on JRPGs but increasing the combat speed to very fast has really helped keep the game interesting, the characters and story have been fantastic so far. A demo done right as I have ordered the game off the back of the demo when normally I wouldn’t have looked twice at spending £40 on a JRPG.

I heard it’s quite a generous demo time wise and you can carry on your save right?

6 hours ago, DC Lemon said:

Rogue Company looks good for what it is, to be fair. It might struggle on the overcrowded PC market but fills a gap on Switch.

It's apparently 1080p and 60fps.

25 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I heard it’s quite a generous demo time wise and you can carry on your save right?

It took me around 8 and half to complete I saw a lot of people mentioning 10hrs so it’s pretty substantial. Yes your save is carried over, it prompts you at end of the game to save and continue your game on the full version.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, DarkCrisis said:

It took me around 8 and half to complete I saw a lot of people mentioning 10hrs so it’s pretty substantial. Yes your save is carried over, it prompts you at end of the game to save and continue your game on the full version.

Out of curiosity, what point in the story does the demo get to? I didn't play the demo, as I had already completed it on the PS4. I did buy the switch version though, because I'm a chump.