Nintendo Switch

Most of the game's very forgiving in co-op because Gooigi is indestructible and you can make a lot of progress by just smashing things and goofing around. However boss fights are frustrating and there are mechanics in those that make it really easy for the other player to screw things up for you if they're not equally laser-focused on the goal.

17 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Booked in my joy-con L for repair. Now trying to decide between buying a second pair of Joy-cons that probably won't get used for multiplayer this year, or just not bothering to use Ring Fit until mine comes back...

My right joycon is really drifting, so much that's it's unusable. What did you have to do? 

Just now, APM said:

My right joycon is really drifting, so much that's it's unusable. What did you have to do? 

There's no option on the Nintendo support page for "my joy-con doesn't work properly", just "my joy-con doesn't do anything at all", so eventually I wound up at a sort of "other issues" page that just directed me to book an examination here:

https://www.nintendoservicecentre.co.uk/

You pick the faulty item, put in your Switch's S/N in my case because it was one of the in-box joy-cons, describe the problem and they give you a free return label to print out. Now I just have to find a box and some bubble wrap and throw in a photocopy of my receipt.

• Upvote 1

It's probably worth pointing out that if you don't want to be without a joycon for a while, haven't got receipt, whatever, then actually replacing the stick isn't that tricky. You can buy kits on amazon with two sticks and all the tools for about £10. It took me about 30 mins. 

Fair to say that some version of PES is on the way to Switch....

https://nintendoeverything.com/pes-brand-manager-shares-optimism-about-the-series-appearing-on-switch/

Latin America brand manager Robbye Ron expressed optimism about bringing PES to Switch in an interview with RPP. A good portion of that positivity stems from the fact that Konami is now moving over to Unreal Engine – technology that works well with the platform.

Ron shared the following regarding PES on Switch (translated by Google):

“I think we are closer to that. The Unreal Engine will help us a lot to be a little more flexible on what platforms we appear on. I can’t assure you yet, but I think we’re getting closer to getting there (to Switch). Whenever we announce a new game, people let us know that they are still waiting for the Switch version. It is something we want, because people ask us and there are many consumers who have stopped playing PES just because we are not on that platform. We are focused on seeing how we can (do it), and I think that the change of engine will help us a lot to fulfill the dream to several Nintendo fans.”

When they say they are losing customers, it means they are taking it seriously. Just a matter of time.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Fair to say that some version of PES is on the way to Switch....

https://nintendoeverything.com/pes-brand-manager-shares-optimism-about-the-series-appearing-on-switch/

When they say they are losing customers, it means they are taking it seriously. Just a matter of time.

They also said they were trying to get ISS on there. I would take the SNES version of ISS Deluxe. It plays nothing like real football but it's still good fun and the nostalgia for those players is high.

Yeah, I'm one of them PES customers they've lost. It could look awful, but as long as it plays the same as the other platforms, I'll be happy enough.

Better than than changing the names in a very old version of FIFA every year.   

2 hours ago, the_debaser said:

An updated ISS 98 from the N64 would be great. Football games have never hit those heights since. 

the absolute best football game ever

• Upvote 9
17 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Most of the game's very forgiving in co-op because Gooigi is indestructible and you can make a lot of progress by just smashing things and goofing around. However boss fights are frustrating and there are mechanics in those that make it really easy for the other player to screw things up for you if they're not equally laser-focused on the goal.

Luigi’s Mansion 2 and 3 are ruined for me by the boss battles. They took the worst part of the original and just ramped it up to obnoxious levels. :( 

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, scottcr said:

the absolute best football game ever

Woah. Hang on there. It might be the best arcade football game ever (except that is Sensible Soccer). But best football game ever has to to be a mainline Pes title. Maybe Pes 5. ISS 98 made almost no attempt to play like real football. 

The Pro Evo games and Fifa are incredibly boring to me. ISS Deluxe and 64 were magnificent though. I'm sure some of the ISS Pro games on the PS One were very enjoyable before they started becoming more serious.

I do have a strong dislike of football so I'm only interested if it's actually fun to play.

• Upvote 1

Biggest/best news of the year....

Spoiler

Fight Crab finally has a release date - it's coming on September 15th.

seal.thumb.jpg.924a2441ba268a641a9b91ceecd717dc.jpg

---

Key Features:

• Claw through seven tutorial stages and a campaign mode with 34 stages across seven chapters.
  • 23 kinds of playable crab, 48 different weapons and 11 unique battle arenas.
  • A variety of matchmaking options including 1v1, 2v2, and offline and online co-op and versus battle modes.
  • Unlock special skills like the fabled Kanihameha, devastating Crab Copter and more.
  • Build the ultimate crab warrior – level up your crab, recruit new ones, and purchase deadly weapons!
  • Use Joy-Con™ motion controls to freely manipulate limbs to punch, grab and flip your way to victory.
  • Use Photo Mode to capture, share and immortalize epic confrontations and intense battles.

For more crabby puns and news, visit http://mastiff-games.com/fight-crab

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Woah. Hang on there. It might be the best arcade football game ever (except that is Sensible Soccer). But best football game ever has to to be a mainline Pes title. Maybe Pes 5. ISS 98 made almost no attempt to play like real football. 

Literally no football game plays like real football. Unless you can split yourself into multiple people or teleport about the place. And enjoy setting the time to 90 minutes. 

The question is what sort of famicile of the real thing you enjoy. 

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, joffocakes said:

The Pro Evo games and Fifa are incredibly boring to me. ISS Deluxe and 64 were magnificent though. I'm sure some of the ISS Pro games on the PS One were very enjoyable before they started becoming more serious.

I do have a strong dislike of football so I'm only interested if it's actually fun to play.

This is the problem.

The best football games were the fast Arcady ones. ISS had the best balance in pretending to be realistic but had loads of depth but was fast action paced.

43 minutes ago, kensei said:

Literally no football game plays like real football. Unless you can split yourself into multiple people or teleport about the place. And enjoy setting the time to 90 minutes. 

The question is what sort of famicile of the real thing you enjoy. 

There is a very real difference between one that attempts to simulate a real game and one that is just going for pure arcade action. Obviously it's nothing like playing in real life. You could say that about all simulation genres though? 

19 minutes ago, donpeartree said:

Sorry to derail, but can anybody confirm whether this is the right stuff for squirting into joycon sticks that have drift issues?

Amazon link

It's the right stuff. I used it fairly consistently to fix the problem but it eventually stopped working. 

Yeah contact cleaner is a quick fix, but in my experience the drift came back fairly quickly. In the end it got so bad I had to replace it. I love the switch but the quality of the hardware is pretty poor from Nintendo this time around. 

Is there any evidence to suggest that replacement parts prevent future occurrence of drift?

My assumption was that dirt getting under the rubber ‘skirt’ of the stick and becoming trapped was the cause of the problem. If so, surely there’s no fix other than a redesigned joycon?

I thought contact cleaner was as good a fix as any, insofar as there is no permanent fix?

I went the replacement stick route and the 1st set of had worse drift than my normal joycons.

Next 2 that arrived were perfect. When choosing the 2nd set, it was obvious that its something of a lottery if you get working sticks. Reviews were all over the place.

It's a pretty easy process though,  you just need to take your time and have a video of it open. Not happy I had to do it mind but my 5yo was getting annoyed at his character always walking to the right in animal crossing.

7 hours ago, rgraves said:

Biggest/best news of the year....

Hide contents

Fight Crab finally has a release date - it's coming on September 15th.

seal.thumb.jpg.924a2441ba268a641a9b91ceecd717dc.jpg

---

Key Features:

• Claw through seven tutorial stages and a campaign mode with 34 stages across seven chapters.
  • 23 kinds of playable crab, 48 different weapons and 11 unique battle arenas.
  • A variety of matchmaking options including 1v1, 2v2, and offline and online co-op and versus battle modes.
  • Unlock special skills like the fabled Kanihameha, devastating Crab Copter and more.
  • Build the ultimate crab warrior – level up your crab, recruit new ones, and purchase deadly weapons!
  • Use Joy-Con™ motion controls to freely manipulate limbs to punch, grab and flip your way to victory.
  • Use Photo Mode to capture, share and immortalize epic confrontations and intense battles.

For more crabby puns and news, visit http://mastiff-games.com/fight-crab

My son will go absolutely wild for this. He loves absurd and silly games featuring animals. Goat Simulator and Goose Game have been big hits in my house. 

9 hours ago, Popo said:

Is there any evidence to suggest that replacement parts prevent future occurrence of drift?

My assumption was that dirt getting under the rubber ‘skirt’ of the stick and becoming trapped was the cause of the problem. If so, surely there’s no fix other than a redesigned joycon?

I thought contact cleaner was as good a fix as any, insofar as there is no permanent fix?

For me it took about 2 years for my original stick to start drifting. Contact cleaner "fixed" it for maybe a week or two. Replacement stick has been fine for about 6 months now. 

• Upvote 1

There are a few different replacement sticks available, though they look largely identical. A new type appeared on Taobao just a few weeks ago.

No idea what the difference is, or whether they're more reliable now, but it might explain why some have more luck than others with them. Probably also some poor quality control at work, of course, but you get what you pay for.

Take it with a pinch of salt. Was leaked on 4chan apparently.

Spoiler

Monster Hunter Strike Team (Autumn)

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Summer Update #2 (07.08.)

Fairy Tail (31.07.) & Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Champions (28.08.)

Disco Elysium (Early 2021)

Pikmin 3 Deluxe (21.08.)

Pikmin 4 (TBD)

DOOM Eternal (02.10.)

Bravely Default II (25.09.)

Professor Layton HD Trilogy (December)

No More Heroes III (Winter)

Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy (09.10.)

51 Worldwide Games free updates (first wave 31.07., second wave September)

World of Tanks (Out after presentation)

Apex Legends (October)

Game Boy - Nintendo Switch Online launches 03.09. w/ 20 games

Crysis Remastered (23.07.)

The World Ends With You 2 (2021)

moon (October)

Sports Story (30.07.)

Fire Emblem Echoes: Flames of Elibe (Early 2021)

Gradius Collection (22.07.) & Parodius Collection (29.07.)

Rogue Company public alpha live after presentation, full release Spring 2021

Yokai Watch 4 (November)

Code Vein Complete Edition (23.10.)

Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (October)

Bayonetta 3 (Spring 2021)

Sizzle reel: Jump Force Deluxe Edition (28.08.),

WRC 9 (Late 2020),

Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville (November),

PGA Tour 2K21 (21.08.),

WWE 2K Battlegrounds (18.09.),

Faeria (12.08.),

ChuChu Rocket! Universe (04.08.),

Fuser (October),

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition (27.08.)

Paper Mario: The Origami King (Out Now)

Super Mario 35th Anniversary Limited Edition Nintendo Switch Lite (18.09.)

Super Mario 3D World Deluxe (18.09.)

Mario's Anniversary Picross (Out after presentation)

Super Mario Bikers (16.10.)

Super Mario All-Stars 2 (Holiday 2020),

three new 35th Anniversary amiibo'

• Upvote 2