rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

Which is totally fair.

I'm really just after the machine really as my daughter wants to get into Animal Crossing now that her brother got a copy the other day for his birthday.

I bought a Switch and Zelda Links Awakening. Pretty impressed with how small and light the Switch is. The joycons are cool too.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

Expensive.

That is what is putting me off right now. Prepared to go upto £20 for Burnout Paradise but that's it.... Played it so many times elsewhere and I can get the PC remastered version for under a fiver.

27 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

What is Burnout Paradise like on the Switch?

I got sent it to do a review. It is expensive and I would wait for a sale...BUT... It play really, really well. Slightly muddy handheld, but trade off is worth it and still really fun. 

• Upvote 4

Just buy a physical copy. Cheaper, and no SD card space taken up.

17 hours ago, DarkCrisis said:

I have just downloaded it, I have been looking forward to it ever since it was announced.

Ah, good, another fan.  Yes, as soon as it was announced it went straight on my Day One list.

Had about an hour on it last night.  Great fun.

Finished one path through Across The Grooves. Loved the art style and music. Not really a game as such though more of a storybook where you make choices every now and again that will dictate a path through the story.

Was it worth £14? Personally I'd wait until it was in a sale around £8 would be a reasonable price for this IMHO. Enjoyed the experience though around a couple or so hours for a single run through. Not sure if I'd go back and try another path however there is that option there to extend it out a bit.

Fixed my dodgy drifting joy cons the other day :)

The right one was my own fault, I changed the joy con shell for a clear one and managed to damage the analogue stick ribbon cable while putting it back together. Replaced it with one from eBay, which predictably started wobbling and drifting after a while. I’d bought two, in case I knackered the left one as well; but before putting another low quality stick in, thought I might as well see if it was feasible to replace the damaged ribbon cable on the original stick with the one from the cheap copy stick. Destructive disassembly of the cheap stick showed it might indeed work, so I carefully dissembled the original stick, and replaced the original floppy pcb bit with the one from the copy stick. It actually worked!

The left stick I hadn’t touched after the harrowing experience of changing the case on the right one, but it was still knackered. Wouldn’t go fully up or down. I thought I was going to have to replace it with the spare copy stick, then I read about using contact cleaner on them; £4.40 from Wickes, sprayed a bit into the guts of the stick under the little rubber flappy bit, and when I tested it, it was as good as new!

In the interim, I’d actually purchased a set of Hori Split Pad Pro controllers as I felt so guilty about my middle son having to struggle along with defective sticks. Fortunately they’re excellent, really good for Fortnite and other such games.

Another Switch update. Son #2 got one with grey controllers for Christmas and they are both playing up too. Used my big can of WD40 contact cleaner with no joy so off they go to Nintendo. They will be 4th & 5th ones with issues I've had, it really is crap.

Edit - read @Pistol's post above and maybe I should get the Hori things. Daren't look at the price.

@Kryptonian

The hori split pad is indeed brilliant. Can only use them attached in handheld mode but the switch still docks with them on for charging. 

I uhm'd and ah'd for ages but at cheaper than a new set of joycons it's really a no brainer. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Gloomy Andy said:

@Kryptonian

The hori split pad is indeed brilliant. Can only use them attached in handheld mode but the switch still docks with them on for charging. 

I uhm'd and ah'd for ages but at cheaper than a new set of joycons it's really a no brainer. 

Yeah I’ve ordered one now :lol:

If it’s decent I might get one for the other rather than waiting for the official joycons to break again.

My main worry is that it will be too big so will see how it goes.

1 hour ago, Kryptonian said:

My main worry is that it will be too big so will see how it goes.

They are pretty big, makes the whole switch something of a beast but honestly they don’t feel too big, if that makes sense! Seen them described as an Xbox pad cut in half which is a pretty decent approximation, though I’d say they’re a little more compact than that.

Here’sa pic of ours:0099F426-4D5C-4098-A3EF-9B0E5169920F.jpeg.11d352328d9acb8b0005b6cfe5098989.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Great as the Hori split pads are (and I use them most of the time in handheld) they don’t have gyro so you still need some joycons in back up for handheld Splatoon and other games that use gyro

They're probably decent to play with but the regular joycons would be put back on if anyone was coming around.

• Upvote 2

:lol: They’re so ugly. I always get all depressed when they got brought up and everyone goes on about good they are. 

Not sure if it helps anyone, but with repair centers finally opening back up, I got to mail in my two left joycons. Had them back a few days later, paperwork says part replaced. I can well believe they just replaced the stick, because they feel as taut as the new purple and orange set I bought a couple of weeks back. 

Maybe a weird question but what’s the cheapest controller for the switch that people have used and works? Me and my son’s joycons have both decided to die at the same time, so he’s using my pro controller and I’m having a terrible time trying to play Animal Crossing with sticks that don’t work. I haven’t got anywhere close to £60 for new joycons, so I’m looking to spend the absolute minimum to get anything that will let me play Animal Crossing functionally, without any major flaws. Amazon is a mess of third party products I’ve never heard of.

If you are talking about using the Switch docked, and you have either a PS4 controller or a new bluetooth enabled Xbox controller then I'd recommend the 8-bitdo adaptors. Much cheaper than buying a controller. I have one and using the PS4 controller is a revelation (personally it would be even better with an Xbox controller but non of mine are the new Bluetooth ones).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-Wireless-Bluetooth-Raspberry-Retrofreak-3-Receiver/dp/B07HG4WPC2/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=8-bitdo+swtich+adaptor&qid=1593447325&sr=8-1

• Upvote 5

I bought my lad one of these for Christmas and it's REALLY good.

It has NFC for Amiibos and full gyro support too.  Really impressed for the price.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

If you are talking about using the Switch docked, and you have either a PS4 controller or a new bluetooth enabled Xbox controller then I'd recommend the 8-bitdo adaptors. Much cheaper than buying a controller. I have one and using the PS4 controller is a revelation (personally it would be even better with an Xbox controller but non of mine are the new Bluetooth ones).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-Wireless-Bluetooth-Raspberry-Retrofreak-3-Receiver/dp/B07HG4WPC2/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=8-bitdo+swtich+adaptor&qid=1593447325&sr=8-1

Does it only work docked then? I need it to prop up on my lap sometimes 

I think anything that works docked also works through a USB-C adaptor or hub plugged in to the console when handheld.

4 hours ago, Broker said:

Does it only work docked then? I need it to prop up on my lap sometimes 

What Alex W says if you get an adapter it will work undocked but you wouldn’t be able to use the little stand as the adapter is stuck in the bottom of the Switch.

3 hours ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Wonder if this will affect all retailers.

As someone going digital only on Switch this sucks, ShopTo prices were a huge saving.