Nintendo Switch

deKay

10 hours ago, Gotters said:

I'm up for anything Switch related, but just releasing an updated model that does 4k wouldn't appear a very Nintendo move on the face of it.

I'll assume they will want to keep full back compatibility to the library, which already has to  work across the original and lite models, and just adding 4k texture packs to current games isn't that appealing, especially as a % of play is handheld and that screen is unlikely to be 4k.

They don't really ever sell on hardware power so a Switch Pro with more processing adds what exactly to the end user in terms of software - will we see enhanced versions of new games, say a Mario Kart 9 that is enhanced on the Switch Pro beyond just resolution ? Doesn't sound very Nintendo.

Oh and the method to transfer saves from the old machine will involve a Labo style affair where you fold some paper cups to insert into a port and attach them with string between the machines. 

It was going so well until your last paragraph. 

I need to fix the drift on two of my Joycons and don't want to be without them for the time it takes to wait for Nintendo to do it.

Can anyone recommend a seller for the kits? There's tons of them on eBay and it's difficult to know where to start.

I also need an SL/SR button thing because one of those has stopped working too.

1 hour ago, strawdonkey said:

I need to fix the drift on two of my Joycons and don't want to be without them for the time it takes to wait for Nintendo to do it.

Can anyone recommend a seller for the kits? There's tons of them on eBay and it's difficult to know where to start.

I also need an SL/SR button thing because one of those has stopped working too.

I've fixed my own and my sons joycons.  The joycon drift was solved using wd-40 contact cleaner and I replcaed the ribbon on one using a kit from amazon which cost about 12 quid and came with the screwdrivers required (decent quality as well - can't grumble at the price).  

Bought these ones https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07P9YLM3H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm absolutely hopeless at anything remotely approaching DIY - but I managed this fine myself following a decent ribbon replacement youtube video.  Make sure you get tweezers and you're sorted.

For a "4K switch" what we could be looking at is DLSS being used. One of the reasons this might be used is that newer Tegra line chips from Nvidia actually have the tensor cores needed for DLSS, albeit in limited numbers. However they are still a few years old and any new tegra chip could fit in more cores and still boast extra power over the current switch while remaining within the current power envelope.  

I would love a souped-up Switch. I can absolutely see its value and can see why the Lite appealed, but I actually wanted the opposite - a docked-only version! (which I understand defeats the entire concept of the thing.) 

I will always buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. My work / life situation currently renders handheld gaming rare and unattractive; when I do get to play games I want to get as far away from anything small and smartphone-like as possible set aside a break time with a full screen experience. :) Of course I see the appeal of toilet gaming and the joys of using or continuing to use a Switch off-big-screen while commuting for those who get to do that, however!

2 hours ago, CS2x said:

I would love a souped-up Switch. I can absolutely see its value and can see why the Lite appealed, but I actually wanted the opposite - a docked-only version! (which I understand defeats the entire concept of the thing.) 

I would have liked to see an Apple TV-sized puck, bundled with a pro controller, with slots for game cards and memory cards. I think that without a screen or battery it could potentially have been quite cheap. If they’d launched it at the same time as the Lite I think it might have been quite attractive. 

57 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

I would have liked to see an Apple TV-sized puck, bundled with a pro controller, with slots for game cards and memory cards. I think that without a screen or battery it could potentially have been quite cheap. If they’d launched it at the same time as the Lite I think it might have been quite attractive. 

I did think of a concept like that too, like a Switch version of the PS Vita TV, but in practice I can’t see Nintendo devaluing one of their hardware formats like that. Just isn’t their MO.

I can totally see the value of a 4K Switch, or at least a souped-up Switch Pro. The Switch is, by far, my most played on system and I own a PS4 Pro and a good gaming PC. We've had some ambitious ports on the Switch like The Witcher 3 and The Outer Worlds to name just a few, all with varying degrees of success - but these ports always appeal to me so I can play these games on the sofa whilst my gf is watching TV, or in bed, or when I'm travelling (which naturally is much rarer now but still happens from time-to-time) and having a souped-up version of the console where these ports would have a better chance of competing against the big console versions would be amazing.

Of course, in addition to more GPU grunt, a Switch Pro would really need improved Joy Cons, ideally with analogue triggers. I don't really understand why Nintendo didn't include those on the Joy Cons we already have.

Seeing as game framerates often chug at the Switch's 1080p (or 900p, depending on the game) docked resolution, they'd need to add some serious processing and graphical power to a Switch Pro to get it to 4k. I can't see it happening. I'd be a lot happier with something that allowed me to play everything at a consistent 60FPS at 1080p.